Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-15-2020, 02:38 PM   #281
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Yep, and we preserved that glorious cap space for nothing...again.
They will someday learn what I've learned nearly 10 years ago....
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2020, 02:41 PM   #282
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yep, and we preserved that glorious cap space for nothing...again.
Cap space isn't only useful for hitting home runs.

It's also good for hitting lots of singles and doubles like the Hawks did this summer and it's also good for absorbing talent from teams who don't want to pay big bucks for mediocrity.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:43 PM   #283
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Still have tons of flexibility though. I’m glad we didn’t overpay for an older dude like Gallo or Covington or Hayward. Richardson is just as good and only cost us older, oft-injured Seth.
No, it's true, and at least now we can strike hot right away instead of the fool's gold superstar waiting game.

Still, a few missed opportunities nonetheless.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:52 PM   #284
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No, it's true, and at least now we can strike hot right away instead of the fool's gold superstar waiting game.

Oh, no doubt. I was all-aboard the Christian Wood bandwagon. I’m sure there were some missed opportunities. But we improved anyway and got to draft and develop some young guys who could be trade chips down the road or cheap depth.

Bummed about Giannis but excited about our flexibility going forward. We’ll still have about 35m in cap space and potentially more.

Last edited by mac222b; 12-15-2020 at 02:52 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:56 PM   #285
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Christian Wood was probably our biggest miss, but would have cost us a draft pick and was a bit redundant with Powell.

I know a lot of people are clamoring for Maxi and WCS to get minutes over Powell. I don’t necessarily disagree, but Powell’s awareness of offensive spacing and screen setting is elite. That’s why I think he’s going to start until Porzingis is back.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #286
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Christian Wood was probably our biggest miss, but would have cost us a draft pick and was a bit redundant with Powell.

I know a lot of people are clamoring for Maxi and WCS to get minutes over Powell. I don’t necessarily disagree, but Powell’s awareness of offensive spacing and screen setting is elite. That’s why I think he’s going to start until Porzingis is back.
How is it a miss if we don’t even try?

You’re saying we offered him 10 mill when we had KP/Kleber/WCS/Powell/Boban?

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-15-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 03:25 PM   #287
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:

Man I would've did that for Christian Wood. I don't know what his ceiling is but just what I saw from him when they traded Drummond.....he looks to be at least a All Star I don't know if that was just product of being in a contract year or what. I Think that's the best way the Mavs can use their salary cap space or their assets. These type of players. Which they did with Delon Wright but I guess it bit them.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #288
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

I'm go a different direction on this decision.

Prop's to Giannis for staying in Milwaukee. I like the decision because it shows some of these guys are still loyal like a Dirk, Duncan or Kobe.

Maybe Giannis feels like he just has to remain patient and go through that same process that Dirk went through before he gets that ring.

I glad he didn't let the temptation of playing on a Super team influence him.

Also, I hope now the Mavs stop with all the pipe dreams about saving Cap for Big fish. I know we got Luka but I personally feel he's in the same boat as Dirk.

That means he's going to have to win that ring the right way and trust the Mavs to put a top team around him with pieces that might not be Super Stars.

I actually want that to happen with Luka and KP being the cornerstones.....

Miami came close to showing us it can be done without having a team of Super Stars if your pieces fit.

Last edited by Dallas41; 12-15-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:55 PM   #289
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I never thought about Giannis actually coming here anymore than what I read from others here and the ridiculousness on twitter. We didnt need him really. We just needed a few legit upgrades at a few key positions.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #290
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I never thought about Giannis actually coming here anymore than what I read from others here and the ridiculousness on twitter. We didnt need him really. We just needed a few legit upgrades at a few key positions.
We need a third best player...not a third star. Hopefully that is J-Rich.

Old 12-15-2020, 05:29 PM   #291
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I'm go a different direction on this decision.

Prop's to Giannis for staying in Milwaukee. I like the decision because it shows some of these guys are still loyal like a Dirk, Duncan or Kobe.

Maybe Giannis feels like he just has to remain patient and go through that same process that Dirk went through before he gets that ring.

I glad he didn't let the temptation of playing on a Super team influence him.

Also, I hope now the Mavs stop with all the pipe dreams about saving Cap for Big fish. I know we got Luka but I personally feel he's in the same boat as Dirk.

That means he's going to have to win that ring the right way and trust the Mavs to put a top team around him with pieces that might not be Super Stars.

I actually want that to happen with Luka and KP being the cornerstones.....

Miami came close to showing us it can be done without having a team of Super Stars if your pieces fit.
It doesn't really show that he's loyal....it just shows he wanted the Supermax and now if he wants to play for another team he will have a Supermax and can ask for a trade lol.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:31 PM   #292
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Didn't we have a 3rd best player last year? If KP is going to have the injuries that he looks to be having you are going to need a running mate for Luka that's able to help out when he either goes to the bench or when his shot is falling. Is that Richardson? I don't think so. Maybe it can be Hardaway if he can continue his performance from the bubble.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #293
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I bet it is especially on account of his defense. THJ and the other guys seem to be more locked in now too so it seems like JJ and JRich are rubbing off on us, at least in communication and effort defensively.

Old 12-15-2020, 05:59 PM   #294
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
It doesn't really show that he's loyal....it just shows he wanted the Supermax and now if he wants to play for another team he will have a Supermax and can ask for a trade lol.
This. Loyalty is pretty easy when it comes with $228 million.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:12 PM   #295
Dolencd

Dolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to all

Am I the only one here who didn't even see a fit for Giannis in Dallas? I'm glad he signed it.
What would melt my heart is Nikola Jokić in Dallas. Now that would be something. And Luka would love it! That would be fine by me.
What do you think?
Dolencd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:33 PM   #296
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolencd View Post
Am I the only one here who didn't even see a fit for Giannis in Dallas? I'm glad he signed it.
What would melt my heart is Nikola Jokić in Dallas. Now that would be something. And Luka would love it! That would be fine by me.
What do you think?
You're apparently not the only one, but I could not possibly disagree more. I ranted about this in the other thread. I think their games are absolutely PERFECT for each other. It would be a match made in heaven. Way more than Luka and Jokic. Luka needs an athletic superfreak next to him. It would be the most devastating pick and roll in NBA history. Oh yeah, and Giannis is also the best defensive player in the NBA, so we would immediately be one of the best defensive teams in the league, on top of already having the greatest offense in NBA history. Luka does not need another doughy guy with subpar athleticism, and since Jokic's greatest skill by far is his passing (greatest passing big man ever), the last think you want is to have him playing off the ball.

Luka and Giannis would have been a dynasty together. Not a contender. DYNASTY. I will go to my grave believing that. I'm not losing sleep over it because I didn't think it was going to happen, but I'm just astounded at some of the takes I'm seeing from Mavs fans.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 12-15-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:11 PM   #297
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
You're apparently not the only one, but I could not possibly disagree more. I ranted about this in the other thread. I think their games are absolutely PERFECT for each other. It would be a match made in heaven. Way more than Luka and Jokic. Luka needs an athletic superfreak next to him. It would be the most devastating pick and roll in NBA history. Oh yeah, and Giannis is also the best defensive player in the NBA, so we would immediately be one of the best defensive teams in the league, on top of already having the greatest offense in NBA history. Luka does not need another doughy guy with subpar athleticism, and since Jokic's greatest skill by far is his passing (greatest passing big man ever), the last think you want is to have him playing off the ball.

Luka and Giannis would have been a dynasty together. Not a contender. DYNASTY. I will go to my grave believing that. I'm not losing sleep over it because I didn't think it was going to happen, but I'm just astounded at some of the takes I'm seeing from Mavs fans.
I don't think anyone disagrees with your take that it is a dynasty depending on what we mean by dynasty. I think it could be like the Warriors window of dominance but that is the extent of where I would go. Mainly because I have not seen 2 players who both hover around 37% usage last year coexisting for any length of time. RWB and Harden clearly hated it and they apparently were friends before the NBA. Also KP would be 100% gone as well imo if it lasted longer than 2 years, not saying that is a reason not to do it but thats another guy who 2yrs ago saw himself as a number 1 and only 22yrs old and now he'd be a number 3 at just 24. It's too soon for him to want that kind of role and I wouldn't be upset and I don't think anyone would really. So Dynasty as a team like the Warriors with KD for the length of a contract essentially? Sure. A team that dominates for 8-12 yrs? No way imo.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #298
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I don't think anyone disagrees with your take that it is a dynasty depending on what we mean by dynasty. I think it could be like the Warriors window of dominance but that is the extent of where I would go. Mainly because I have not seen 2 players who both hover around 37% usage last year coexisting for any length of time. RWB and Harden clearly hated it and they apparently were friends before the NBA. Also KP would be 100% gone as well imo if it lasted longer than 2 years, not saying that is a reason not to do it but thats another guy who 2yrs ago saw himself as a number 1 and only 22yrs old and now he'd be a number 3 at just 24. It's too soon for him to want that kind of role and I wouldn't be upset and I don't think anyone would really. So Dynasty as a team like the Warriors with KD for the length of a contract essentially? Sure. A team that dominates for 8-12 yrs? No way imo.
Maybe not 12 years, but I think they easily could have dominated the NBA for 8 years.

Luka and Giannis I think would have NO problem playing together for years and years. Zero. None. They are not remotely comparable to Harden and Westbrook. We knew that one was doomed before it even happened. Giannis isn't a guard. I don't get the impression that he wants to have this insanely high usage. Or even that he wants to be the #1 scoring option. I think he's like Garnett. He CAN do those things when he has to- and he does so because that's the only way his team wins, but he would rather focus on defense and rebounding and let someone else worry about carrying the offense. I've never heard him say this, this is just the impression I get.

I also think Luka would just as soon have someone else take some of the offensive load off of his shoulders. I don't think he wants to be Harden 2.0 and initiate every single possession. He strikes me as way more of a team guy than Harden ever was.

I think Luka and Giannis could have dominated the NBA for as long as they were both healthy and until Giannis started to decline. You're right that KP probably would've been gone at some point. But I'd trade 5 KP's for Giannis.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 12-15-2020 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #299
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Maybe not 12 years, but I think they easily could have dominated the NBA for 8 years.

Luka and Giannis I think would have NO problem playing together for years and years. Zero. None. They are not remotely comparable to Harden and Westbrook. We knew that one was doomed before it even happened. Giannis isn't a guard. I don't get the impression that he wants to have this insanely high usage. Or even that he wants to be the #1 scoring option. I think he's like Garnett. He CAN do those things when he has to- and he does so because that's the only way his team wins, but he would rather focus on defense and rebounding and let someone else worry about carrying the offense. I've never heard him say this, this is just the impression I get.

I also think Luka would just as soon have someone else take some of the offensive load off of his shoulders. I don't think he wants to be Harden 2.0 and initiate every single possession. He strikes me as way more of a team guy than Harden ever was.

I think Luka and Giannis could have dominated the NBA for as long as they were both healthy and until Giannis started to decline. You're right that KP probably would've been gone at some point. But I'd trade 5 KP's for Giannis.
I don't rly see them as harden and rwb either thats just an example of the usage. I am not as confident as you that Giannis doesn't want to be -the guy- on offense. If he was cool with being a defensive juggernaut and draymond green on roids then sure it could last as long as he and Luka wanted. I just think it's incredibly rare for guys who are talked about as mvp's coexisting for any length of time as I've never seen it. Durant and Curry lasted a few yrs. Lebron and Wade... Wade was on the decline and Lebron hit the eject button. A stretch would be Kyrie as he's not a mvp caliber player and he wanted to go on his own. It just doesn't happen or hasn't happened.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:04 PM   #300
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I don't rly see them as harden and rwb either thats just an example of the usage. I am not as confident as you that Giannis doesn't want to be -the guy- on offense. If he was cool with being a defensive juggernaut and draymond green on roids then sure it could last as long as he and Luka wanted. I just think it's incredibly rare for guys who are talked about as mvp's coexisting for any length of time as I've never seen it. Durant and Curry lasted a few yrs. Lebron and Wade... Wade was on the decline and Lebron hit the eject button. A stretch would be Kyrie as he's not a mvp caliber player and he wanted to go on his own. It just doesn't happen or hasn't happened.
I mean, we're speculating on these guys' personalities now way more than basketball X's and O's, so who knows, you might be right. I just think from a pure basketball standpoint, Luka and Giannis are practically made for each other, so it's a bummer that it can't happen. If I were design in a laboratory the perfect player to pair with Luka, it would look a lot like Giannis. It would basically be Giannis with better shooting range.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 12-15-2020 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:34 PM   #301
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Victor Oladipo could return to form - he's not a superstar but he's certainly a star

Kyle Lowry, Mike Conley, or Jrue Holiday might decide to move on. I know all of them are long shots but if any of their organizations decide to tighten their belts then one of them might become available

Kawhi Leonard won't come here even if he leaves the Clippers

Rudy Gobert is a star but a poor fit with the current roster. Either he or Porzingis would have to go but that would certainly add more talent to the team (kinda like when the Warriors acquired Russell)

Victor Oladipo is my new plan A
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:53 AM   #302
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m not convinced Oladipo is a better option than Tim Hardaway Jr. especially considering what it would cost to get him. He’s better at creating his own shot, but like THJ is limited in the paint while THJ is the far superior shooter.

No one knows if we offered Christian Wood our mid-level exception or not, the Rockets gave him close to $14 million a year and gave the Pistons the #16 pick in the draft. We didn’t have the cap space to acquire him straight up.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:21 AM   #303
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I’m not convinced Oladipo is a better option than Tim Hardaway Jr. especially considering what it would cost to get him. He’s better at creating his own shot, but like THJ is limited in the paint while THJ is the far superior shooter.
Oladipo is a far far better defender (or he was pre-injury)

THJ is a far superior shooter WITH LUKA. He was not particularly special before he got here - remember that we were forced to take THJ as a bad contract. So I think Oladipo will excel with Luka
Old 12-16-2020, 09:37 AM   #304
SMC0007
Guru

Oladipo especially coming off an injury seems redundant to JRich. He still has to prove he's back before I would even give that merit. I'd prefer a bigger wing who can slow down PG13, LeBron, Kawhi etc.

As of now, I want to see JJ get more meaningful minutes with the starting group. He can defend and pass the ball. DF can defend some but he doesn't see the floor and pass as well. Thats not a long term solution but what he did in Minnesota is better than DFS.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #305
OKMavFan41

OKMavFan41 is on a distinguished road

Would a trade at the deadline for LaMarcus Aldridge make any sense for Dallas?

SA will likely be moving LMA and DeRozan before the deadline. They are in a definite rebuild, both guys are expiring, and SA will be looking for assets.

Miami, Toronto, and Boston seem like they'll probably be in the market for LMA, but matching contracts may be a problem. And Miami may be making a move for Harden now that Giannis is off the board.

Powell + James Johnson makes the salary work. I'm sure SA will want a pick and/or a young guy as well. I don't think Dallas would be able to field the best offer, but who knows.

LMA and THJ's expiring, plus JRich turning down his PO, would open a bunch of cap.

LMA could either start or come off the bench to run PnR with Brunson and Burke. I was just spitballing trade ideas with friends and thought this one seemed a little interesting.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
OKMavFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:31 PM   #306
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

If people hate Powell’s defense, whoa boy, you’ll not be happy with LMA
Old 12-16-2020, 12:37 PM   #307
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Mavs need a mobile 4...not a center. That's likely why they went after Crowder and then ended up with Johnson.

So basically you're looking to upgrade DFS which isn't some easy, home run thing to do.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:42 PM   #308
OKMavFan41

OKMavFan41 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mavs need a mobile 4...not a center. That's likely why they went after Crowder and then ended up with Johnson.

So basically you're looking to upgrade DFS which isn't some easy, home run thing to do.
PJ Tucker? He's old but similar to Crowder. I'm trying to think of acquirable players who fit that mold.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
OKMavFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #309
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
If people hate Powell’s defense, whoa boy, you’ll not be happy with LMA
Neither guy are defenders but Aldridge has been a solid shot blocker in his career. His problem is defending out in space but he's a better low post defender than Powell by a mile.

Also, he never gets pushed around inside like Powell.

Offensively his game is more well rounded on that end of the floor he can post up or be effective in pick and pop situations. He also has a little more 3 point ability than Powell.

He's a career 31% 3-PT shooter but last year he shot 38% as his attempts went up to career high 3.0 per game.

If the Mavs could land LMA just for Powell and a filler I'd hope they would pull the trigger on that deal in a hearbeat.

Last edited by Dallas41; 12-16-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:41 PM   #310
VA-Mavs-Fan

VA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the rough

I am very interested to see how James Johnson plays, and also see if WCS really has a decent 3 pt. shot. Team has a Team option for WCS for next year. And James J could be a decent 4 for us, let's just see how he plays. IMO, unless its a clear upgrade, no need to overpay and/or give up a pick or young player. If team is playing well, i suspect we won't be doing much trading before TDL, unless its a clear win. Keep our assets (young players, picks, etc.) until a great opportunity arises. Buy low sell high. We need to develop our younger guys, e.g., so that JGreen becomes the next JRich, Terry becomes the next Seth Curry, etc. The teams that draft and develop their own talent do really well, long term. In other words, maybe our best way to improve our roster, is through improvement of the guys we already have: WCS - gets a 3 pt. shot. JGreen becomes a very good 3&D; Tyler becomes a good PG and 3pt. shooter. Bey develops a reliable 3pt shot. Etc., which is good four our team, and for increasing our tradeable assets, if and when another great opportunity arises. (think about KP trade, or even the JRich trade - a little bit of patience is required).

I personally would like to see a starting lineup of WCS, kleber, THJ, JRich, and Luka as a starting group. (while KP is out). Honestly - I think our current second group would be very competitive against our first team. IN part - because WCS, JJ and Kleber might be better than powell in many ways.

Last edited by VA-Mavs-Fan; 12-16-2020 at 01:50 PM.
VA-Mavs-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:54 PM   #311
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

https://theathletic.com/2251334/2020...cic-next-step/
Hollinger thinks we'll be 2nd seed
45-27
2nd in west

Quote:
Even a year ago the Mavs had the league’s sixth-best point differential, and they made themselves substantially better in the offseason. I’m not sure if it should be a surprise, but I think the Mavs’ record will surprise people.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-16-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:35 PM   #312
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Mavs-Fan View Post
I am very interested to see how James Johnson plays, and also see if WCS really has a decent 3 pt. shot. Team has a Team option for WCS for next year. And James J could be a decent 4 for us, let's just see how he plays. IMO, unless its a clear upgrade, no need to overpay and/or give up a pick or young player. If team is playing well, i suspect we won't be doing much trading before TDL, unless its a clear win. Keep our assets (young players, picks, etc.) until a great opportunity arises. Buy low sell high. We need to develop our younger guys, e.g., so that JGreen becomes the next JRich, Terry becomes the next Seth Curry, etc. The teams that draft and develop their own talent do really well, long term. In other words, maybe our best way to improve our roster, is through improvement of the guys we already have: WCS - gets a 3 pt. shot. JGreen becomes a very good 3&D; Tyler becomes a good PG and 3pt. shooter. Bey develops a reliable 3pt shot. Etc., which is good four our team, and for increasing our tradeable assets, if and when another great opportunity arises. (think about KP trade, or even the JRich trade - a little bit of patience is required).

I personally would like to see a starting lineup of WCS, kleber, THJ, JRich, and Luka as a starting group. (while KP is out). Honestly - I think our current second group would be very competitive against our first team. IN part - because WCS, JJ and Kleber might be better than powell in many ways.
Yup.

1) No moves unless it clearly upgrades us.

2) JJ needs more minutes, preferably with the starting unit.

As for lineups,
I'd try starting JJ at some point in place of DFS because he is a little better and more versatile defender and definitely a better passer. When KP comes back, I like: Luka, JRich, THJ, JJ, KP. That's 2 versatile defenders going against other teams first unit along with a rim protector and good ball movement and passing. The vocal communication on the defensive end is underrated and I think it's what is going to make our whole team better, I think it's infectious.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #313
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
https://theathletic.com/2251334/2020...cic-next-step/
Hollinger thinks we'll be 2nd seed
45-27
2nd in west
I saw that. It will be insane when he posts his Lakers article and having them be 4th in the West
Old 12-16-2020, 08:06 PM   #314
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
I saw that. It will be insane when he posts his Lakers article and having them be 4th in the West
Is The Athletic worth subscribing to? I honestly just look for free news as much as I can. I do like the fact that he believes in the Mavericks though. So who will finish ahead of them? I'd like to see that. Also does he think we'd finish with the top seed if KP didn't miss the beginning of the season?
Old 12-16-2020, 09:25 PM   #315
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
Is The Athletic worth subscribing to?
I'm happy with my purchase. I feel like the quality of the content is worth paying a few bucks a month.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:27 PM   #316
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Is The Athletic worth subscribing to? I honestly just look for free news as much as I can. I do like the fact that he believes in the Mavericks though. So who will finish ahead of them? I'd like to see that. Also does he think we'd finish with the top seed if KP didn't miss the beginning of the season?
Problem is that everyone wants a subscription. Can't afford them all.

Athletic is worthy for actual sports journalism though.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 12-16-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #317
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

I just found that they have an offer where it is $1/month for 6 months. Then it's $7.99/month. You can cancel at any time. My guess... just keep on looking for good deals like that.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:23 PM   #318
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Its OK.. But its definitely easy to live without. I canceled mine because of all the political bs they flooded their articles with over the last 6 months

Old 12-16-2020, 11:04 PM   #319
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Its OK.. But its definitely easy to live without. I canceled mine because of all the political bs they flooded their articles with over the last 6 months
Political articles from sports writers is like getting sports articles from political correspondents

It was awkward and heavy handed. So many readers quit the site over it. Now that political bs is mostly gone
Old 12-16-2020, 11:48 PM   #320
VA-Mavs-Fan

VA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone think OKC will be looking to unload Al Horford at some point? OKC going no where, so i am wondering, will they be trading him to a playoff team by TDL for some expirings and a 1st? He has 2.5 years of big guaranteed salary. age 34. would he be an upgrade at the 4 for the Mavs? could he play with KP? or would he be a backup at the 5? I am sure MBT will be tracking a list of players for possible acquisition. He might be on that list. Wondering how useful he might be next 2 years, and what it might cost.

Last edited by VA-Mavs-Fan; 12-16-2020 at 11:52 PM.
VA-Mavs-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote