Mavs by 1-9 1 14.29%
Lakers by 1-9 1 14.29%
Lakers by 10-19 1 14.29%
Lakers by 20+ 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2020, 09:48 AM   #161
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Maxi is much better than Johnson. I would say he is probably even better than peak Johnson, but right now it isn't even a question.
Its definitely a question. My answer is I'd gladly take either over DP.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2020, 10:04 AM   #162
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

This game taught us 3 things (maybe more).

1. Championship is going through LA.
2. We are missing KP badly.
3. We are missing a legit starting PF.

If we want to win a championship in the next 2-3 years we'll have to build a team that can compete with both LA teams. We seem to still be building to compete with the GSW of a few years ago.

The problem is that we'll have to sell extremely low on the 3 players we need to move the most (Powell, Brunson and THJ).
Unfortunately it will probably be WCS, Johnson and a combination of the Rookies that will be dealt to attempt to improve the team.

Last edited by rimrocker; 12-26-2020 at 10:08 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:00 AM   #163
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
This game taught us 3 things (maybe more).

1. Championship is going through LA.
2. We are missing KP badly.
3. We are missing a legit starting PF.

If we want to win a championship in the next 2-3 years we'll have to build a team that can compete with both LA teams. We seem to still be building to compete with the GSW of a few years ago.

The problem is that we'll have to sell extremely low on the 3 players we need to move the most (Powell, Brunson and THJ).
Unfortunately it will probably be WCS, Johnson and a combination of the Rookies that will be dealt to attempt to improve the team.
I've grown so tired of it that its more about taking the option away from Rick than us not getting proper value for them. THJ doesn't bother me quite as much as the others 2 guys. He has a few bad games and then has a fire game...so at least there's that. His contract is up this season anyway. If you really want to worry about something regarding him then watch out for us outbidding ourselves to bring him back.

Old 12-26-2020, 11:02 AM   #164
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Strange game. Mavs looked like they would rather be home celebrating Christmas with family and friends. But when you look at the box score there are some surprising positives:

FG% = 49.4%
3pt FG% = 40.6
FT% = 76.9%
Turnovers = 9 (Lakers 16)
Steals = 13
Points in the paint = 54 (Lakers 52)

But rebounding was horrendous (Lakers win 53-27) and defending the 3 equally so (Lakers 48.7%).

In both games so far the Mavs just don't look ready to play basketball. The intensity is not there and this shows itself on the defensive end of the court and with rebounding. I would anticipate that this would change as the season goes on, but someone is going to have to take on a leadership role. I don't currently see it with any of the starters. I would think that if the losses continue to come our way, that Luka will become a more vocal leader (as he has in the past). In the meantime, the only two who are showing some leadership potential are JJ and Burke. If I were RC, I would consider starting JJ in place of Powell and see if that helps. Alternatively, substitute WCS and JJ for Powell and THJ. A second unit of Burke, Brunson, Powell, Kleber, and THJ could be potent.

One more thing, Luka really needs to stop whining so much. I have seen him on multiple occasions complaining to the refs when the ball was going in the opposite direction down the court. Perhaps a bit more energy getting back on defense would help motivate his teammates?
Those numbers just point out that this team is still struggling defensively and they are undersized on the boards.

Think about it we still have Powell, THJ and Luka starting together that is not a recipe for defense and the starting lineup is really small with Powell at the 5 and DFS at the 4.

When this team is completely healthy I'd love to see a starting lineup of KP, Maxi, DFS, Richardson and Luka. That is the best defensive lineup you can throw on the floor with excellent size at all positions and you can still play five out basketball which is really what RC wants to play.

Both of your big's are stretch big's and rim protectors, both wing guys can defend vs players their size and you have two ball handlers in that lineup with Luka and Josh.

That to me should be this teams ideal lineup but the biggest issue is THJ.

The Mavs tried bringing him off the bench last year and just looked out of whack. It'll be interesting to see if they try that again
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:18 AM   #165
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Harrell destroying us again. Still can't believe the price the Lakers got him for.

Can't win in the NBA if you can't rebound or defend. Rebounding is alarming as we were really good in that regard last season. And that's where both Powell AND WCS suck equally.

Fun fact: Harrell makes less money than Dwight Powell.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 12-26-2020 at 11:59 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #166
GQ2003

GQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Strange game. Mavs looked like they would rather be home celebrating Christmas with family and friends. But when you look at the box score there are some surprising positives:

FG% = 49.4%
3pt FG% = 40.6
FT% = 76.9%
Turnovers = 9 (Lakers 16)
Steals = 13
Points in the paint = 54 (Lakers 52)

But rebounding was horrendous (Lakers win 53-27) and defending the 3 equally so (Lakers 48.7%).

In both games so far the Mavs just don't look ready to play basketball. The intensity is not there and this shows itself on the defensive end of the court and with rebounding. I would anticipate that this would change as the season goes on, but someone is going to have to take on a leadership role. I don't currently see it with any of the starters. I would think that if the losses continue to come our way, that Luka will become a more vocal leader (as he has in the past). In the meantime, the only two who are showing some leadership potential are JJ and Burke. If I were RC, I would consider starting JJ in place of Powell and see if that helps. Alternatively, substitute WCS and JJ for Powell and THJ. A second unit of Burke, Brunson, Powell, Kleber, and THJ could be potent.

One more thing, Luka really needs to stop whining so much. I have seen him on multiple occasions complaining to the refs when the ball was going in the opposite direction down the court. Perhaps a bit more energy getting back on defense would help motivate his teammates?
All the way with you on WCS and JJ get much more playing time and even starting. Maxi probably is a better player right now than JJ but that starting group needs JJ and his experience/leadership more than they need Maxi right now. They also need WCS' rim protection and frankly they need Luka to also be much better than he's been so far. Powell should be 3rd string once KP returns and I have no idea what they do with Brunson and the black hole that is THJ.
GQ2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #167
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Biggest point deferential in 25 years. 35-0 on second chance points.
Old 12-26-2020, 12:07 PM   #168
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Those numbers just point out that this team is still struggling defensively and they are undersized on the boards.

Think about it we still have Powell, THJ and Luka starting together that is not a recipe for defense and the starting lineup is really small with Powell at the 5 and DFS at the 4.

When this team is completely healthy I'd love to see a starting lineup of KP, Maxi, DFS, Richardson and Luka. That is the best defensive lineup you can throw on the floor with excellent size at all positions and you can still play five out basketball which is really what RC wants to play.

Both of your big's are stretch big's and rim protectors, both wing guys can defend vs players their size and you have two ball handlers in that lineup with Luka and Josh.

That to me should be this teams ideal lineup but the biggest issue is THJ.

The Mavs tried bringing him off the bench last year and just looked out of whack. It'll be interesting to see if they try that again
Agree. Mavs made some good moves in the off-season, but if RC isn't going to utilize what he has at hand smartly and instead still keep playing the same undersized, no-D, chucking lineups, then it really doesn't matter who else is on the roster. We had some nice draft picks, but they aren't going to see any playing time with RC. That's pretty much an unspoken truth, so we'll get the "not ready to contribute", "need more time to develop" blah, blah, blah. SSDD

Yeah, I saw the Harrell contract numbers, too, and thought immediately of Powell, but I've been beating that dead horse for years. I'm glad to see other people notice, too. It's a shame none of the MBT appears to. :-(

I'll flog another dead horse of mine one more time. Top 4 for immediate roster turnover:
1 Powell
2. Brunson
3. DFS
4. THJ

Last edited by turin; 12-26-2020 at 12:15 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #169
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Agree. Mavs made some good moves in the off-season, but if RC isn't going to utilize what he has at hand smartly and instead still keep playing the same undersized, no-D, chucking lineups, then it really doesn't matter who else is on the roster. We had some nice draft picks, but they aren't going to see any playing time with RC. That's pretty much an unspoken truth, so we'll get the "not ready to contribute", "need more time to develop" blah, blah, blah. SSDD

Yeah, I saw the Harrell contract numbers, too, and thought immediately of Powell, but I've been beating that dead horse for years. I'm glad to see other people notice, too. It's a shame none of the MBT appears to. :-(
This team needs a big beast but it wouldn't matter if Donnie found one because Rick wouldn't play him if he can't shoot 3s.

Rick is so faithfully married to his system that he can't see his stubbornness is killing us. I know his fantasy is to have 5 players that can spread the floor at all times but right now that is just fantasy and far from reality.

If KP was an iron man I could see that possibly working, but the fact of the matter is that KP will most likely be a part time player and when he does play he won't able to play like a beast. A big beast would only throw a cog in Rick's fantasy and he simply won't allow that to happen. Meanwhile we'll continue to get murdered by the teams that do have big beasts that can't necessarily shoot 3s. MH is an example of that.

Last edited by rimrocker; 12-26-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #170
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Biggest point deferential in 25 years. 35-0 on second chance points.
I'm surprised that 0 isn't a record alone.
Hard to believe a team can go 48mins without at least 1 second chance point.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:17 PM   #171
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Good news is Richardson is everything we thought he was and more. Bad news with that is the fact that the FO overvalues the rest of the B squad. That talent drop off from Luka/KP/Rich to the next guys is pretty large. But I'm glad we have what is almost a third guy to rely on in Rich.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #172
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

In other news, Desmond Bane drills a 3 late in the fourth in a close game with the Hawks. Still salty Mavs didnt draft him. With that said, who knows if he gets any time on the floor with Rick. I hate his flow offense and his stubborness to adapt to the players he has.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:16 PM   #173
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

So I'm sitting here watching the hawks mix in a little zone defense vs the Grizzlies

Someone pointed out earlier how the Mavs even going to back last year just don't even try to play enough zone despite having guys like Powell, Luka and THJ on the floor together.

All defensive liabilities together.

Seems like when Dwayne Casey left the zone schemes left with him. They play it a lot with Haywood as the backup C and it seems like all 3 centers currently playing Powell, Boban and WCS could each benefit from being hidden in a zone defense at times.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:04 PM   #174
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
In other news, Desmond Bane drills a 3 late in the fourth in a close game with the Hawks. Still salty Mavs didnt draft him. With that said, who knows if he gets any time on the floor with Rick. I hate his flow offense and his stubborness to adapt to the players he has.
...but Green made his first NBA bucket!! Smh.