Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What will the results be?
Mavs by 20+ 1 12.50%
Mavs by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs by 1-9 4 50.00%
Hornets by 1-9 2 25.00%
Hornets by 10-19 0 0%
Hornets by 20+ 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2020, 01:16 PM   #281
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
For all those saying Drummond would get in the way of KP on offense because he's just like Powell and can't play PF

I'm glad this is being discussed because now my next question is had Rudy Gobert been a FA based on how the Mavs run their system (5 out) that makes Gobert a bad fit for Dallas right?

He can't play with KP because he's a traditional center and neither can someone like Steven Adams right?
Yes. I think both Gobert and Adams would be bad fits.

Quote:
So this system can't be adjusted.

The players have to fit the system not the system being adjusted or tweaked to fit to your players.

I was always under the impressions that most good coaches can adjust to the strength of his players.
It's not the "system." It's the players. It's KP. There's only so much space on the floor, and if he's playing at PF next to a big who can't shoot and doesn't space the floor, it's going to hurt him offensively. Now Gobert is probably good enough that they could make it work well enough, because he'd improve the defense more than he would hurt the offense. But I do think he would still hurt the offense. A crowded paint means fewer easy pick and rolls, more double teams in the post, and a lot more of KP floating around on the perimeter- clearly not a strength for him. He's great trailing in transition, lousy at spotting up. So guys like Gobert and Adams are far from my ideal of who the Mavs should pursue to improve the frontcourt. It'd rather just surround KP and Luka with 3 and D wings who can also rebound. But alas, players like that don't grow on trees.

It's not that the "system" can't be adjusted. Some players' skillsets just don't compliment each other.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 12-31-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2020, 01:22 PM   #282
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs are a rudderless basketball team right now and Luka needs to step up and take on the leadership role. An out-of-shape, lazy, dejected, and whiney Luka is not going to give the team what is needed. Luka has got to be the leader. There is no alternative aside from making a trade for someone who can be the floor general.

Case in point. With about 1.5-2 minutes to go in the first half, Luka picks up his third foul. RC moves to make a substitution. The camera briefly showed Luka arguing with the coaching staff (couldn't tell if it was RC) because he did not want to come out of the game. At one point you could read his lips saying "Don't do it". When the sub came in anyway, Luka lowered his head and looked like a pouting 3-year old. He came out of the game and sat at the end of the bench, away from everyone. I don't think that attitude helps, especially when you are not showing the necessary effort while on the court. I am seeing too many times when Luka doesn’t even make an effort to get back on defense. That lack of energy and focus is contagious when you are the superstar and your teammates look to you for leadership. I am confident he will get out of his funk. But it is sure hard to watch this team in its current state.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:36 PM   #283
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Mavs are a rudderless basketball team right now and Luka needs to step up and take on the leadership role. An out-of-shape, lazy, dejected, and whiney Luka is not going to give the team what is needed. Luka has got to be the leader. There is no alternative aside from making a trade for someone who can be the floor general.

Case in point. With about 1.5-2 minutes to go in the first half, Luka picks up his third foul. RC moves to make a substitution. The camera briefly showed Luka arguing with the coaching staff (couldn't tell if it was RC) because he did not want to come out of the game. At one point you could read his lips saying "Don't do it". When the sub came in anyway, Luka lowered his head and looked like a pouting 3-year old. He came out of the game and sat at the end of the bench, away from everyone. I don't think that attitude helps, especially when you are not showing the necessary effort while on the court. I am seeing too many times when Luka doesn’t even make an effort to get back on defense. That lack of energy and focus is contagious when you are the superstar and your teammates look to you for leadership. I am confident he will get out of his funk. But it is sure hard to watch this team in its current state.
I hate to keep comparing him to Dirk because I know it's a different era of basketball.

But Dirk simply didn't pout much at all if he didn't get a call. He wasn't great defensively but he didn't quit playing because of lack of calls. He never had issues leaving the game if the coach wanted to take him out.

Maybe it's just me and I'm spoiled by watching Dirk and the way he worked on and off the floor for 20 years.

He never felt entitled to anything and he earned everything he got.

Luka reminds me of how all these guys who played AAU ball act when things don't go their way.

They are pampered so much that they expect things to be given to them earned or not.

But again I'm more old school and maybe that's why I sometimes find today's NBA not very good especially in terms of decision making by some of these young guys.

Lack of defense and 40 3-pt shots per game just rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited by Dallas41; 12-31-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:52 PM   #284
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'm sorry to say that I agree. If Luka isn't the best player on the floor in any given game, the Mavs are virtually guaranteed to lose. And so far, Luka has definitely not been the best player on the floor in our three losses.

Some people here have suggested that maybe he needs to go through the heartbreak and frustration of losing to figure out what it takes to win in the NBA. He won in Europe as a teenager doing things his way and nobody else's. Here's hoping it doesn't take too much losing and frustration for him to mature.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:53 PM   #285
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I'm sorry to say that I agree. If Luka isn't the best player on the floor in any given game, the Mavs are virtually guaranteed to lose. And so far, Luka has definitely not been the best player on the floor in our three losses.

Some people here have suggested that maybe he needs to go through the heartbreak and frustration of losing to figure out what it takes to win in the NBA. He won in Europe as a teenager doing things his way and nobody else's. Here's hoping it doesn't take too much losing and frustration for him to mature.
It's all about Luka.

I loved the offseason acquisitions because for once we were building around the team we had instead of just getting pieces.

But now we have pieces that are built to make Luka look good and he's burning out his legs trying to get into shape so we look like hell.

Mavs went all-in on Luka and Luka has been pretty disappointing so far. We live and we die by him. That is all. There is no plan B.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:08 PM   #286
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Luka went to work immediately after the game...

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2020/12/...ork-struggles/
Old 12-31-2020, 02:13 PM   #287
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Also, it's of course impossible not to compare him to Dirk, being Mavs fans and all, but I think everyone needs to understand that Luka isn't Dirk and never will be. They are very different people, with very different personalities. For better or for worse- probably a bit of both. Luka is cocky, and I don't mean that in a bad way. He's got a swagger that Dirk never had, and I think can be great for superstar athletes. However, the downside is that it can manifest itself as arrogance and/or entitlement.

As much as we loved Dirk's modesty and unselfishness, there were times in his career that I thought he was too unselfish, especially pre 2005. There were times when he would strangely disappear from games. And if I'm being completely honest, I think he was scared of the Warriors in 2007. I think they got into his head. I don't see that EVER happening to Luka. Luka's one of those guys that will always, always believe he's the best player on the floor, and will always think his shot is going in, even if he's missed the previous eight in a row. I love that about him, but the downside is he'll probably always argue with referees and occasionally coaches. I can handle that just fine. Showing up out of shape is problem though. No excuse for that. At the very least, he's admitting it and not making excuses for it.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:16 PM   #288
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:

That's all good but where is that same energy before games or doing the off season?

This will probably be the only time he does that after a game all year.

I recall Nash and Dirk doing that type of thing often very early in their careers.

This just seems staged IMO LOL
Old 12-31-2020, 02:28 PM   #289
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I think Luka is just out of shape and busting ass to get in shape. It sucks but it's true. You work double hard to get in shape and he's already down a few pounds, but that leaves you with tired legs which can lead to poor jumpshooting.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:39 PM   #290
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:

Great! So he'll be back in playing shape in what 4+ weeks? SMH

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by turin; 12-31-2020 at 02:40 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:42 PM   #291
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

He shoulda been running suicides. This is a cardio issue, not a needs to take shots for 40 minutes after the game issue.

The shot is not broken. He has no lift on it.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:42 PM   #292
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Great! So he'll be back in playing shape in what 4+ weeks? SMH

I'd be happy with four weeks.

I think on top of that, he's also going to need some rest days or reduced minutes too after working his body so hard in December/January. Time to lower expectations until late February at least. Maybe later.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:55 PM   #293
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I'd be happy with four weeks.

I think on top of that, he's also going to need some rest days or reduced minutes too after working his body so hard in December/January. Time to lower expectations until late February at least. Maybe later.
Agree. I think 6 weeks + is going to be more realistic, and this is assuming that he makes a concerted long-term commitment, and not some 2 week effort after a demoralizing loss followed by a slacking off.

Last edited by turin; 12-31-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:36 PM   #294
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Agree. I think 6 weeks + is going to be more realistic, and this is assuming that he makes a concerted long-term commitment, and not some 2 week effort after a demoralizing loss followed by a slacking off.

Considering that Phoenix is much better this year and teams like Portland, Sacramento, San Antonio and New Orleans might be on the uptick do the Mavs really have 4 weeks to waist with Luka getting back in shape?

I thought they were a 40 win team coming into the season after realizing KP would most likely miss between 10-20 games due to injury and rest games.

The Mavs margin for error this year with only 72 games to play is really low especially since we can't predict if another key rotation player just so happens to go down with a injury or something.

I'm still upset that when you watch a young team like Atlanta they come ready to play ball from the start and yet our Mavs just seem to go through the motions and sleep walk.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:05 PM   #295
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
He shoulda been running suicides. This is a cardio issue, not a needs to take shots for 40 minutes after the game issue.

The shot is not broken. He has no lift on it.
Buying this.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:21 PM   #296
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

He's just not a good leader yet.

You listen to all the teamates talk when asked about him and his leadership and they say "FUN". What the hell is even that!? Its because he's a kid and hasn't been smashed in the face with reality and tough times yet. When you grow up and experience those things, you realize there's a time and a place for being fun.

About the 3rd foul last night, thats exactly what he said "no. No, don't do it". I actually tend to agree with Luka. He should have stayed. It was a pivotal moment in the game and its a learning opportunity. Let him experience fouling out after asking not to be pulled if need be. Its hard to ask him to lead if you are not giving him any rope to pull the team with. Not saying he had the right to pout and half ass the game like he did, but I bet if Coaches could go back they leave him in.

Last edited by SMC0007; 12-31-2020 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:09 PM   #297
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post

You listen to all the teamates talk when asked about him and his leadership and they say "FUN". What the hell is even that!? Its because he's a kid and hasn't been smashed in the face with reality and tough times yet. When you grow up and experience those things, you realize there's a time and a place for being fun.

About the 3rd foul last night, thats exactly what he said "no. No, don't do it". I actually tend to agree with Luka. He should have stayed. It was a pivotal moment in the game and its a learning opportunity. Let him experience fouling out after asking not to be pulled if need be. Its hard to ask him to lead if you are not giving him any rope to pull the team with. Not saying he had the right to pout and half ass the game like he did, but I bet if Coaches could go back they leave him in.
No coach is leaving their best player in the game with 3 fouls in the first half. You can’t take that risk of them picking of a 4th no matter how much that player begs to stay in.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:10 PM   #298
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Considering that Phoenix is much better this year and teams like Portland, Sacramento, San Antonio and New Orleans might be on the uptick do the Mavs really have 4 weeks to waist with Luka getting back in shape?

I thought they were a 40 win team coming into the season after realizing KP would most likely miss between 10-20 games due to injury and rest games.

The Mavs margin for error this year with only 72 games to play is really low especially since we can't predict if another key rotation player just so happens to go down with a injury or something.

I'm still upset that when you watch a young team like Atlanta they come ready to play ball from the start and yet our Mavs just seem to go through the motions and sleep walk.
I understand completely. I give RC 2 weeks to right this sinking ship. If he doesn't make obvious major changes imo, stick a fork in this season. They will be done. They don't have the same luxury as last season to throw 10 games away.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:31 PM   #299
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
No coach is leaving their best player in the game with 3 fouls in the first half. You can’t take that risk of them picking of a 4th no matter how much that player begs to stay in.
Oh its obviously not standard protocol. You also cant take the risk of a team running you out of the building and then not even playing your best player in the 4th. Sometimes you gotta keep the game from getting out of control. Especially when you're desperate to establish some footing.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:48 PM   #300
VA-Mavs-Fan

VA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the rough

Luka said his legs were "dead". It looks like he is about 20 LBs over his normal playing at. He can barely run. Thus, he can't drive around defenders, isn't quick on defense , and he gets tired quickly and then can't shoot. In short, being 18-20 LBs overweight turns great player into a mediocre player. Then , the entire offense struggles without all the open looks. Since many of the starters aren't good defenders Teams are attacking him on defense knowing he can't move well and will tire quickly. Without Luka playing at a high level, this team looks more like a middle of the road jump shooting team. .
VA-Mavs-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:23 PM   #301
Dallas41
Diamond Member

I really like the way Curry has seamlessly fit into that 76ers team. He's actually on ball a little more than I expected him to be and defensively being next Simmons is a perfect backcourt compliment for him.

I think the trade has really benefited both teams well but man Curry has been starting and killing it.

Last edited by Dallas41; 12-31-2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:38 PM   #302
ChampsAgainShoon

ChampsAgainShoon has a spectacular aura aboutChampsAgainShoon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Mavs-Fan View Post
Luka said his legs were "dead". It looks like he is about 20 LBs over his normal playing at. He can barely run. Thus, he can't drive around defenders, isn't quick on defense , and he gets tired quickly and then can't shoot. In short, being 18-20 LBs overweight turns great player into a mediocre player. Then , the entire offense struggles without all the open looks. Since many of the starters aren't good defenders Teams are attacking him on defense knowing he can't move well and will tire quickly. Without Luka playing at a high level, this team looks more like a middle of the road jump shooting team. .
Maybe Luka needs Testosterone Replacement Therapy.
ChampsAgainShoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:54 PM   #303
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampsAgainShoon View Post
Maybe Luka needs Testosterone Replacement Therapy.
I think 21 is the perfect age to start that

Old 12-31-2020, 10:03 PM   #304
SMC0007
Guru

https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/s...142537728?s=19

Old 12-31-2020, 10:41 PM   #305
ChampsAgainShoon

ChampsAgainShoon has a spectacular aura aboutChampsAgainShoon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I think 21 is the perfect age to start that
IKR it was a joke, but I don't understand what the issue is with his weight I am 39 already have had prostate cancer diabetes and cholesterol issues and I'm in the gym gaining muscle and lean and it didn't take that long. It seems with the right trainer there's no way he can't get in good shape unless he doesn't want to. There's plenty of time, I just hope it's not the one thing thing that holds him back from all time greatness. These seasons are marathons and top condition is a must.

Last edited by ChampsAgainShoon; 12-31-2020 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:32 PM   #306
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampsAgainShoon View Post
IKR it was a joke, but I don't understand what the issue is with his weight I am 39 already have had prostate cancer diabetes and cholesterol issues and I'm in the gym gaining muscle and lean and it didn't take that long. It seems with the right trainer there's no way he can't get in good shape unless he doesn't want to. There's plenty of time, I just hope it's not the one thing thing that holds him back from all time greatness. These seasons are marathons and top condition is a must.
It is a marathon.

Dang, good to see you made it thru that stuff. Keep gaining!

Old 12-31-2020, 11:52 PM   #307
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Wow.

Luka comes into camp out of shape (and btw, on the shortest offseason of all time and with only a couple of weeks to prepare) and

1) He is a bad leader
2) He's a bad guy
3) He isn't manly enough
Old 01-01-2021, 12:37 AM   #308
VA-Mavs-Fan

VA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the rough

Luka is a pro. Has been for years. He is learning the hard way that staying in shape is a year round challenge. The start date caught him and others by surprise. I am confident he will get in shape and regain his form. Not sure how long it will take though. Mavs will be much better team the second half of the season.
VA-Mavs-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:25 AM   #309
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Mavs-Fan View Post
Luka is a pro. Has been for years. He is learning the hard way that staying in shape is a year round challenge. The start date caught him and others by surprise. I am confident he will get in shape and regain his form. Not sure how long it will take though. Mavs will be much better team the second half of the season.
I agree. I don't think the question is so much about if Luka will round into shape but when, and if the Mavs will have dug too deep of a hole to recover from given the length of this shortened season. Every game counts, and the Mavs will need every W they can get imo to make the playoff based on the way they look now, but it's not all Luka. I think it'll mostly depend upon RC and his adjustments, and that's what makes me a pessimist.

Last edited by turin; 01-01-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:47 AM   #310
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Wow.

Luka comes into camp out of shape (and btw, on the shortest offseason of all time and with only a couple of weeks to prepare) and

1) He is a bad leader
2) He's a bad guy
3) He isn't manly enough
There was another player some years back, with a similar skillset incidentally, who was sensational coming into the league, but early in his career gained a reputation for being a coach killer, a bad leader, a bad guy, a selfish, spoiled brat, and a choker who couldn't be counted on in the playoffs. That player was Earvin "Magic" Johnson.

When you're as phenomenally gifted as Luka, the bar will always be higher, and scrutiny will always be greater. Luka is THAT caliber of talent, and I don't say that lightly. He's closer to Magic, Bird, and Lebron than he is to Dirk. It's both a blessing and a curse.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:52 AM   #311
ChampsAgainShoon

Quote:
Wow.

1) He is a bad leader
2) He's a bad guy
3) He isn't manly enough
Didn't say any of that except joked about manliness. But if he doesn't get serious he will not reach his potential period. This is not the first time he has been out of shape if it was it would be different. He is clearly not a gym rat but could be. Anybody can be. He is going to get a contract over 40 million dollars per year (well deserved) but there's no reason he shouldn't be in great shape at 21 years old. You say short offseason training is a year round thing you can take a week off here and there but that should be it. He can easily get one of the best trainers in the world if he has the desire to do the work that can help with routine and diet. Hell KP or one of his other teammates could do it.

RC called him out too so it's just correct it doesn't mean anyone hates Luka. This is a sport where the best athletes in the world compete. Luka has a gift his talent is unbelieveable but he could end up closer to James Harden than Lebron James without conditioning which is not a crime but just some wasted potential. He has potential to be a top 10 player of all time with the right conditioning IMO, maybe top 5 who knows.

This stuff about bad guy bad leader you made that up no one said that that I've seen.

Last edited by ChampsAgainShoon; 01-01-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:53 AM   #312
ChampsAgainShoon

Quote:
It is a marathon.

Dang, good to see you made it thru that stuff. Keep gaining!
Thanks
Old 01-01-2021, 10:12 AM   #313
purplefrog
Platinum Member

Quote:

I actually agree with you (and Luka) about the third foul. My memory is that the Mavs were on a mini-run and had just cut into the lead a bit. I also seem to remember they did not score again in the first half after his departure. That is all 20-20 hindsight, but I can understand why Luka wanted to stay on the court. Not sure I like him arguing with the coaches and isolating himself on the bench, but my guess is that behavior will be modulated over time and he (hopefully) learns he cannot begin the season so out-of-shape. The guy is frustrated and maybe a bit embarrassed (the off-season hype about being the MVP). But being a superstar has its benefits and its drawbacks.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:11 PM   #314
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There was another player some years back, with a similar skillset incidentally, who was sensational coming into the league, but early in his career gained a reputation for being a coach killer, a bad leader, a bad guy, a selfish, spoiled brat, and a choker who couldn't be counted on in the playoffs. That player was Earvin "Magic" Johnson.

When you're as phenomenally gifted as Luka, the bar will always be higher, and scrutiny will always be greater. Luka is THAT caliber of talent, and I don't say that lightly. He's closer to Magic, Bird, and Lebron than he is to Dirk. It's both a blessing and a curse.
I don't recall all of the problems with Kidd but there seemed to be several issues early in his career and let's not forget about Kobe's issues as well.

I think Luka's issues are very minor compared to some others and he'll become a good leader as he matures. Reality is slapping him in the face right now and that is a good thing.
Overcoming adversity is the best way to build character imo so maybe he just needs to go through some early on.

Last edited by rimrocker; 01-01-2021 at 12:12 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:22 PM   #315
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I don't recall all of the problems with Kidd but there seemed to be several issues early in his career and let's not forget about Kobe's issues as well.

I think Luka's issues are very minor compared to some others and he'll become a good leader as he matures. Reality is slapping him in the face right now and that is a good thing.
Overcoming adversity is the best way to build character imo so maybe he just needs to go through some early on.
Yup

Old 01-01-2021, 12:24 PM   #316
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
I actually agree with you (and Luka) about the third foul. My memory is that the Mavs were on a mini-run and had just cut into the lead a bit. I also seem to remember they did not score again in the first half after his departure. That is all 20-20 hindsight, but I can understand why Luka wanted to stay on the court. Not sure I like him arguing with the coaches and isolating himself on the bench, but my guess is that behavior will be modulated over time and he (hopefully) learns he cannot begin the season so out-of-shape. The guy is frustrated and maybe a bit embarrassed (the off-season hype about being the MVP). But being a superstar has its benefits and its drawbacks.
Yup.

I think I'm OK with him pleading his case about it, but I am not OK with his isolation and withdrawal from the group.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:46 PM   #317
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yes. I think both Gobert and Adams would be bad fits.

It's not the "system." It's the players. It's KP. There's only so much space on the floor, and if he's playing at PF next to a big who can't shoot and doesn't space the floor, it's going to hurt him offensively. Now Gobert is probably good enough that they could make it work well enough, because he'd improve the defense more than he would hurt the offense. But I do think he would still hurt the offense. A crowded paint means fewer easy pick and rolls, more double teams in the post, and a lot more of KP floating around on the perimeter- clearly not a strength for him. He's great trailing in transition, lousy at spotting up. So guys like Gobert and Adams are far from my ideal of who the Mavs should pursue to improve the frontcourt. It'd rather just surround KP and Luka with 3 and D wings who can also rebound. But alas, players like that don't grow on trees.

It's not that the "system" can't be adjusted. Some players' skillsets just don't compliment each other.
Terrific piece breaks down how Drummond would help Dallas in their weakest areas rebounding and post defense.

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2021/01/...re-drummond/2/

Dallas Mavericks need rebounding: Andre Drummond is among the best

Drummond immediately addresses a stark rebounding issue that plagues the Mavs. The team was one of the better rebounding squads last season, but they currently sit dead last with 39.8 a night after four games.

t is unfair to stick the entire issue on Dwight Powell, but the starting center has just 13 rebounds in four games. The Mavs need more if they are going to win consistently. For a team that yelled from the mountaintops all offseason about their defensive improvement, fans have not seen it yet.

Drummond is an ironman, who has only missed more than three games once since his rookie season. He is dependable under the bucket and can bring power and toughness to Dallas. Something the Mavs have lacked since Tyson Chandler left. Drummond moves well off the ball and can rim run just as good, if not better, than anyone currently on the roster.

The last time Dallas had an elite center who supplied the team with consistent rebounding, they won a championship. It is a consistent thread on title-winning teams. They employ a big guy who can get boards and produce elsewhere on the court.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:42 PM   #318
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Terrific piece breaks down how Drummond would help Dallas in their weakest areas rebounding and post defense.

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2021/01/...re-drummond/2/

Dallas Mavericks need rebounding: Andre Drummond is among the best

Drummond immediately addresses a stark rebounding issue that plagues the Mavs. The team was one of the better rebounding squads last season, but they currently sit dead last with 39.8 a night after four games.

t is unfair to stick the entire issue on Dwight Powell, but the starting center has just 13 rebounds in four games. The Mavs need more if they are going to win consistently. For a team that yelled from the mountaintops all offseason about their defensive improvement, fans have not seen it yet.

Drummond is an ironman, who has only missed more than three games once since his rookie season. He is dependable under the bucket and can bring power and toughness to Dallas. Something the Mavs have lacked since Tyson Chandler left. Drummond moves well off the ball and can rim run just as good, if not better, than anyone currently on the roster.

The last time Dallas had an elite center who supplied the team with consistent rebounding, they won a championship. It is a consistent thread on title-winning teams. They employ a big guy who can get boards and produce elsewhere on the court.
+