Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-08-2021, 12:35 AM   #401
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
He's not getting that type of money...
I'm just looking at what other guys are getting paid that are worse than Derozen...Tobias HArris gets 34 mill, Hayward gets 28.5....Wiggins at 29 million...Otto Porter at 28 million....Derozen is every bit as good as those guys if not better and he's still in the prime of his career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
He easily gets 25 so it depends on how much Dallas might have to go over that number. He had an all star type season. THJ is getting 20 million. It’s not a huge jump to think DeRozan gets 30 somewhere. I would hope Mavs could get it done for 26-28.
Exactly...
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2021, 12:36 AM   #402
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
What is this random list of players?
Not sure his intention but it seems like the Mavs could've had all of those players at some point and they settled for less.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:35 AM   #403
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Not sure his intention but it seems like the Mavs could've had all of those players at some point and they settled for less.
Malcom Brogdon was traded, so I’m not sure how attainable he was. For all we know we had an offer on the table, and the Bucks just liked the Pacers package better. That said he’s still a player id like to add. He solves a lot of our issues with shooting and defense. I think he can be used as a secondary ball handler to. Donnie should be in the phone seeing what a trade centered around Brogdon/Turner for KP looks like.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:36 AM   #404
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Malcom Brogdon was traded, so I’m not sure how attainable he was. For all we know we had an offer on the table, and the Bucks just liked the Pacers package better. That said he’s still a player id like to add. He solves a lot of our issues with shooting and defense. I think he can be used as a secondary ball handler to. Donnie should be in the phone seeing what a trade centered around Brogdon/Turner for KP looks like.
Brogdon was a sign and trade and traded for draft picks. The Mavs didn't even offer him a contract at all. Instead they spent money on guys not even on the team anymore.

And i've seen nothing to suggest the Mavs even wanted Brogdon. I don't think it was a matter of being outbid.

Pacers don't want or need KP. Especially for that package.

We are at the stage right now where we are going to have to pay someone to take on his contract. Offer up a young player or a 1st round pick.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:22 AM   #405
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Outside of D.Mitchell the rest of the Jazz shot just 34% from the FG

The difference is despite the poor shooting that team has dudes who can defend if their shots aren't falling.

That last defensive possession where they ran 3 different Clippers off the 3Pt line was great effort and hustle without even fouling

Close outs like that never happens for the Mavs because we have a bunch of one trick pony type players.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:51 PM   #406
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The difference is despite the poor shooting that team has dudes who can defend if their shots aren't falling.

That last defensive possession where they ran 3 different Clippers off the 3Pt line was great effort and hustle without even fouling

Close outs like that never happens for the Mavs because we have a bunch of one trick pony type players.
Not to take away from your point because we do need two way players, but the team missing 21 straight shots in the first quarter affect that percentage. It also shows the teams ability to come back in games. Mavs don’t have that ability either.

Even with the bad shooting from the Jazz, they still hit 17 threes last night.

Mavs game 7: 10 threes
Mavs game 6: 11 threes

Point is the Mavs are built on a house of cards. The cards is Doncic. He hides how bad this team really is in all facets.

Last edited by Melonhead; 06-09-2021 at 12:52 PM.
Melonhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:17 PM   #407
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yea, having a lot of value guys like DFS and MAXI are great but when you rely on them it puts a heavy burden on Luka. Neither of those 2 can create their own offense. They are leaned on to defend but when you face potent offenses and offensive players they can't get it done. Can't knock them because they aren't that caliber of players.

Neither is THJ. It's great when he catches fire for a handful of games but when he isn't he doesn't bring anything else.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 02:14 PM   #408
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Yea, having a lot of value guys like DFS and MAXI are great but when you rely on them it puts a heavy burden on Luka. Neither of those 2 can create their own offense. They are leaned on to defend but when you face potent offenses and offensive players they can't get it done. Can't knock them because they aren't that caliber of players.

Neither is THJ. It's great when he catches fire for a handful of games but when he isn't he doesn't bring anything else.
Utah Jazz, Phoenix, Nuggets all have guys like this on their team. Just like THJ. They simply have better offenses too.

Nuggets are down Jamal Murray and Will Barton and aren't missing a beat.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:57 PM   #409
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Utah Jazz, Phoenix, Nuggets all have guys like this on their team. Just like THJ. They simply have better offenses too.

Nuggets are down Jamal Murray and Will Barton and aren't missing a beat.
Right, but they don't rely on them the same way we do. The common theme is that they have capable and mobile big men. Defensive capable Bigs. All multi tool bigs. Nuggets have an MVP, Nugs, Jazz and PHX all have better rosters.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:21 PM   #410
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Right, but they don't rely on them the same way we do. The common theme is that they have capable and mobile big men. Defensive capable Bigs. All multi tool bigs. Nuggets have an MVP, Nugs, Jazz and PHX all have better rosters.
I agree but that's the issue. The issue isn't having guys like THJ on your team. The issues is not having better personnel.

And if KP was better this roster probably would be fine. But he's not. He does not fit well with this team offensively. His skillset is being wasted in this offense and he's resorting to......looking like Lauri Markannen.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:31 PM   #411
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Amazingly the Jazz won. I was led to believe by Donnie that you couldn't win if your best player scores 45. That dang Donovan Mitchell needs to move the chess pieces around better
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:39 PM   #412
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
I agree but that's the issue. The issue isn't having guys like THJ on your team. The issues is not having better personnel.

And if KP was better this roster probably would be fine. But he's not. He does not fit well with this team offensively. His skillset is being wasted in this offense and he's resorting to......looking like Lauri Markannen.
THJ isn't THE problem, but him taking up too much cap space is in the way of improving the personnel. I mentioned Maxi and DFS because they are good value players but we shouldn't be overly reliant on them. They are great rotation players but having all 3 of them starting just isn't a contender. Especially with KP playing like a scrub.

I don't think this roster would be great even if we have Gobert anchoring the defense and running PnR. There is no one else to help Luka create offense. It may be fine, but fine isn't going to beat the Clips...or any other real contender. If KP were playing at an all star level and sossmehow became a great 2 way player we would still need more help.

Man, the FO has their work cut out for them.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:36 PM   #413
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
THJ isn't THE problem, but him taking up too much cap space is in the way of improving the personnel. I mentioned Maxi and DFS because they are good value players but we shouldn't be overly reliant on them. They are great rotation players but having all 3 of them starting just isn't a contender. Especially with KP playing like a scrub.

I don't think this roster would be great even if we have Gobert anchoring the defense and running PnR. There is no one else to help Luka create offense. It may be fine, but fine isn't going to beat the Clips...or any other real contender. If KP were playing at an all star level and sossmehow became a great 2 way player we would still need more help.

I’m holding out hope they can trade KP to fill that salary/talent gap. With THJ it’s one in the hand two in the bush. He likes being here instead of trying to convince a Normal Powell to leave Portland where he did relatively well.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:43 PM   #414
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:

So what do you think is a fair and realistic deal for THJ?
Old 06-09-2021, 06:46 PM   #415
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
I’m holding out hope they can trade KP to fill that salary/talent gap. With THJ it’s one in the hand two in the bush. He likes being here instead of trying to convince a Normal Powell to leave Portland where he did relatively well.
I'm telling you guys...I have no inside sources lol..but based on past history....I believe in order to get Powell in here we have to overpay to get him. I'm thinking in the 25-30 million range.

And like I said above....THJ isn't the issue....the issue is this team needs to find better talent because THJ should not be the 2nd best player or the 2nd best scorer on this team. Something has to be done with KP. Not sure if its trade but something has to be done where he either nets us a #2 scoring option or he steps up and becomes our #2. But on the latter...I just don't see him fitting in this offense with Luka.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:50 PM   #416
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'd consider Walker if the price was right. They would almost assuredly want Brunson as just a starter.

Listen, we're not getting superstars this summer unless the FO is trolling. At least Kemba is a realistic option. I'd want Smart as well though.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:54 PM   #417
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I'd consider Walker if the price was right. They would almost assuredly want Brunson as just a starter.

Listen, we're not getting superstars this summer unless the FO is trolling. At least Kemba is a realistic option. I'd want Smart as well though.
That's where i'm at. You just never know with the Celtics. I'd like to think they would blow up their team and just build around Tatum and Brown. But if they do that.....I don't know if we have what they'd want. Is KP enticing to them?

Just without looking at salaries....can I get Robert Williams/Marcus Smart for KP/Brunson? Pretty sure they'd have to add some salary somehow.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:30 PM   #418
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
I don't see the Mavs moving KP. He didn't come close to living up to his contract. The wild outside chance is if he demands a trade and even then who can take that risk on? It's a massive risk.

Norman Powell may not even have Dame leading the team, who knows.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:36 PM   #419
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fine with keeping THJ provided they have a serious plan for the offseason. The past two offseasons tell me not to be confident in that.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:41 PM   #420
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
I'm telling you guys...I have no inside sources lol..but based on past history....I believe in order to get Powell in here we have to overpay to get him. I'm thinking in the 25-30 million range.

And like I said above....THJ isn't the issue....the issue is this team needs to find better talent because THJ should not be the 2nd best player or the 2nd best scorer on this team. Something has to be done with KP. Not sure if its trade but something has to be done where he either nets us a #2 scoring option or he steps up and becomes our #2. But on the latter...I just don't see him fitting in this offense with Luka.
Norman Powell has a player option for his last year. He will get offers to bail and if Dame decides he's had enough there, why would Powell stay? I don't think it would take 30 mil. I'd give him 25 though.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:42 PM   #421
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
That's where i'm at. You just never know with the Celtics. I'd like to think they would blow up their team and just build around Tatum and Brown. But if they do that.....I don't know if we have what they'd want. Is KP enticing to them?

Just without looking at salaries....can I get Robert Williams/Marcus Smart for KP/Brunson? Pretty sure they'd have to add some salary somehow.
I couldn't imagine taking the risk of Kp without being able to ditch Kemba.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:49 PM   #422
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
So what do you think is a fair and realistic deal for THJ?
Idk, good question. I'd start at what he makes now or maybe 3/63 on a slightly backloaded deal and set a hard line at 22m because he is very 1 dimensional. If we had other guys who could penetrate and play decent D...or guys who were lockdown defenders I would pay little more. We desperately need 2 way players not specialists and THJ is a specialist. We already made a mistake with Dwight's contract imo. We can't keep doing that.

Last edited by SMC0007; 06-09-2021 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:21 PM   #423
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Norman Powell has a player option for his last year. He will get offers to bail and if Dame decides he's had enough there, why would Powell stay? I don't think it would take 30 mil. I'd give him 25 though.
If Lillard leaves.....all of a sudden Powell's role is magnified.....He all of a sudden takes the usage that Lillard leaves behind with McCollum. As a result...he increases his market value as well.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:22 PM   #424
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Idk, good question. I'd start at what he makes now or maybe 3/63 on a slightly backloaded deal and set a hard line at 22m because he is very 1 dimensional. If we had other guys who could penetrate and play decent D...or guys who were lockdown defenders I would pay little more. We desperately need 2 way players not specialists and THJ is a specialist. We already made a mistake with Dwight's contract imo. We can't keep doing that.
You keep saying we don't need guys who are 1 dimensional......what exactly are you referring too...because Paul George and Kawihi Leonard are guys who aren't 1 dimensional.....
Old 06-09-2021, 09:48 PM   #425
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
You keep saying we don't need guys who are 1 dimensional......what exactly are you referring too...because Paul George and Kawihi Leonard are guys who aren't 1 dimensional.....
I've said it a few times. Derozan is not a great defender but he brings more than 1 tool. He can penetrate at will, from that he scores and gets 7 assist per game. He's a smart player and would provide another veteran player who can share the load offensively. Norman Powell is another because he can play defense, shoot and dribble the basketball, unlike TJH. Kawhi and George are elite and not even in the convo. If we can pay THJ 25m, why not pay Derozan 28-30m. You're getting way more.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:46 PM   #426
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Derozan is in a different league than THJ. Tim is a let it fly guy and nothing else. He never saw a three point shot he didn't like. He can't handle, pass, defend, or drive. Derozan does all of those things minus being a great defender. Still take his D over Tim's though.

The main issue is losing the 3 point shooting in a league that is predicated on it. In hindsight, probably keep Curry and trade THJ.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:32 PM   #427
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Devin Booker

"On our team defense is contagious. You don't want to be that the guy out there not defending because you'll stick out like a sore thumb"

Memo to Donnie and Cuban it's been 10 years since this team has played good defense stop fucking around and fix this issue for once.

Last edited by Dallas41; 06-09-2021 at 11:32 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:38 PM   #428
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Can a mod unsticky ALL the threads

The offseason posts will let us know what threads need to be stuck to the top
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:11 AM   #429
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Can a mod unsticky ALL the threads

The offseason posts will let us know what threads need to be stuck to the top
It’s literally just me. There is one mod and I struggle to have any interest in DM or Mavs right now
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:27 PM   #430
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
It’s literally just me. There is one mod and I struggle to have any interest in DM or Mavs right now
Come on Erica. We are counting on you to have interest. This is the big offseason where we start our rebuild to get Luka to the 2nd round by time he is 32. We can do it...
Old 06-23-2021, 11:30 PM   #431
Zeus

Quote:
Devin Booker

"On our team defense is contagious. You don't want to be that the guy out there not defending because you'll stick out like a sore thumb"

Memo to Donnie and Cuban it's been 10 years since this team has played good defense stop fucking around and fix this issue for once.
Watching the Hawks win tonight I couldn't help but be envious of all the fun toys Trae has at his disposal with the rim running of Capella and John Collins and the secondary playmaking of both Hueter and Bogdanovic. My god that GM turned the team around in 12 months time. This is why I am so annoyed by those that say "it takes time to build a winner". That is absolute bull shit.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:09 PM   #432
DIRK LEGIONS

DIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to all

Have a competent front office does wonders
DIRK LEGIONS is offline   Reply With Quote