Pretty darn excited. I plan to make some time to watch games and cheer 8 47.06%
Cautiously excited. Let's see how we come out of the gates 2 11.76%
Suspicious. I want to see some good things before I will care. 0 0%
Not excited at all. 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2021, 01:04 PM   #1841
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Anyone know the date he has to opt in/out by?
According to Sportrac 8/1/21

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/dallas-m...11%2C615%2C328.
Kidd Karma is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2021, 01:18 PM   #1842
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
I don’t see how GS would be a good fit at all for him. I can’t imagine he wants to go through the same thing KD did where he is joining Curry’s team. If I’m Boston I’m throwing Brown and Smart out there and picks for Dame.
Yeah I think Warriors got mentioned because they are his hometown and they have a lot to trade for but I honestly believe Dame the the doesn't want to go to a Superteam...he'd be opining himself up for that even though probably can't even really call them a Superteam anymore when Draymon is probably their 2nd best player now lol.

I think Boston wants to add Dame WITH Brown and Tatum but if it came down to it they'd trade him for sure for him.

I think Miami might be the most intriguing team....they had enough trade compensation for James Harden. They add those pieces to the deal...it could get done I feel like.

And let me just add this for the Mavs....I know we are all down on KP and his trade value is down....but if KP is healthy and is playing to his potential and what he's shown.....he's the best player I saw up there in those trade scenarios.....

I understand that's not how trades work but I mean hell I'd much rather have KP than Ben Simmons. WE're still talking about a 7'3 big man with range, can rebound, block shots........
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #1843
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
I'm putting it at 50/50. I could see him doing it and I could see him not doing it. I've seen guys in the past come off poor years and get some nice deals....

I didn't realize Richardson was only 27.....seems like he's been in the league awhile.....

I could see someone offer him a nice deal....maybe Orlando Magic? Not sure what their money is like.
Old 07-16-2021, 02:54 PM   #1844
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I'm putting it at 50/50. I could see him doing it and I could see him not doing it. I've seen guys in the past come off poor years and get some nice deals....

I didn't realize Richardson was only 27.....seems like he's been in the league awhile.....

I could see someone offer him a nice deal....maybe Orlando Magic? Not sure what their money is like.
Well considering those are his only 2 options I’d say 50/50 is a safe bet. Joking aside I feel like some team out there would offer him at least $10/year on a multi year deal. He’d be dumb not to lock up a longer contract. Maybe Noel could give him some advise on what to do when offered a multi year contract vs betting on yourself.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:29 PM   #1845
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

If we had a first round draft pick or two that we were allowed to trade (I don't think we're allowed to trade 2022 correct me if wrong) I actually don't think KP + DFS + 1 or 2 first round picks would be a bad package. But we can't and Portland will want at least one first round pick probably two. Also it's probably not the best offer they could get anyway.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:09 PM   #1846
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't known if I should be happy that they haven't been introduced to him or disturbed that they haven't.....if he's still with the organization when are they going to get introduced to him? Randomly right before the draft?
His contract is done, so he needs to be re-signed. That’s probably why he hasn’t been introduced to Kidd. Nico’s words makes it sound like he is going to interview him, before possibly offering him another contract, but as Cuban said in the press conference he’s the guy who signs the checks, and the decisions are his.

Bob is obviously a talented statistical analyst, so it’s not like it would be a complete disaster. Luka doesn’t need to be friends with everyone in the organization.

Last edited by FreshJive; 07-16-2021 at 04:15 PM.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:23 PM   #1847
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Jenny Boucek and Mike Weinar are going with Rick to Indiana, so the staff will be pretty much all new.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:00 PM   #1848
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Sean Highkin: Damian Lillard: “I woke up to those reports, a lot of people reaching out to me. But it’s not true. I’ll start off the rip and say it’s not true. A lot of things are being said. It hasn’t come from me. I haven’t made any firm decision on what my future will be.” –

Mark Medina: Damian Lillard on report that he’s going to ask Portland to trade him: “It’s not true.”

Mark Medina: Does Damian Lillard expect to be with the Portland Trail Blazers next season? Dame: “Yeah, I expect it.”

Sean Highkin: Damian Lillard: “I don’t disagree that maybe Chauncey can change our team and make us a better team. But I think if you look at our team as it is, I don’t see how you say ‘this is a championship team, we just need a new coach.'”

Ian Begley: “Right now, I’m not sure what I’m going to do,” Damian Lillard says when asked if he’s committed to Portland at the moment. Lillard adds that he’s always felt in “my heart’ that he’d spend his entire career in Portland. But Lillard adds that he has strong desire to win. – via Twitter IanBegley

He truly sounds conflicted on what to do. He wants to stay in Portland, but knows they don’t have what it takes to win it right now. Any idea what their salary cap situation is?
Old 07-16-2021, 05:33 PM   #1849
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sean Highkin: Damian Lillard: “I woke up to those reports, a lot of people reaching out to me. But it’s not true. I’ll start off the rip and say it’s not true. A lot of things are being said. It hasn’t come from me. I haven’t made any firm decision on what my future will be.” –

Mark Medina: Damian Lillard on report that he’s going to ask Portland to trade him: “It’s not true.”

Mark Medina: Does Damian Lillard expect to be with the Portland Trail Blazers next season? Dame: “Yeah, I expect it.”

Sean Highkin: Damian Lillard: “I don’t disagree that maybe Chauncey can change our team and make us a better team. But I think if you look at our team as it is, I don’t see how you say ‘this is a championship team, we just need a new coach.'”

Ian Begley: “Right now, I’m not sure what I’m going to do,” Damian Lillard says when asked if he’s committed to Portland at the moment. Lillard adds that he’s always felt in “my heart’ that he’d spend his entire career in Portland. But Lillard adds that he has strong desire to win. – via Twitter IanBegley

He truly sounds conflicted on what to do. He wants to stay in Portland, but knows they don’t have what it takes to win it right now. Any idea what their salary cap situation is?
I mean, there is definitely smoke with those answers. Sounds 50/50 that he is with Portland for all of next season. Maybe he starts the season off there but is traded at deadline.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:59 PM   #1850
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I mean, there is definitely smoke with those answers. Sounds 50/50 that he is with Portland for all of next season. Maybe he starts the season off there but is traded at deadline.
I could see that if they come out and have a slow start. He’s 31 already. Players these days know their legacy will forever be known for whether they win a ring or not. It’s not fair, but it’s true. I appreciate Dame’s loyalty, but he’s likely gotta go elsewhere to win a ring unless they make big moves. I think they gotta out CJ on the block to get someone who fits better with Dame.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:14 PM   #1851
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

I hope we're not going through this with Luka in his late 20s/early 30s because we couldn't win a championship.

Last edited by JustJay; 07-16-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:15 PM   #1852
JustJay

I hope we're not going through this with Luka in his late 20s/early 30s because we couldn't win a championship.
Old 07-16-2021, 10:36 PM   #1853
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJay View Post
Well that will definitely be an organizational failure if they dont win or attract enough talent to win it all in next 5 to 7 years. Thought experiment - if KD stays in OKC and never wins (not saying he wouldn't have) would he be held in higher regard down the road than now? No. Rings matter for better or for worse. Kevin Garnett chasing a ring in his mid 30s and getting one puts him in higher regard than if he toiled away in MN his whole career. Come on Nico - lets get it started...
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:02 PM   #1854
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

KD will be in the Hall of Fame and is one of the GOATs. But literally no one respects his rings. Everyone understands he jumped ship to a championship squad.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:23 PM   #1855
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
KD will be in the Hall of Fame and is one of the GOATs. But literally no one respects his rings. Everyone understands he jumped ship to a championship squad.
I mean I get it but at the same time he was the best player on the Warriors. His rings should be respected…
Old 07-16-2021, 11:42 PM   #1856
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
And the counterfactual? What if he didn't win in OKC over a 15 year career? I argue that a decade or two from now (legacy) he will be thought of higher than had he stayed in OKC with no rings.
Old 07-17-2021, 03:58 AM   #1857
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
And the counterfactual? What if he didn't win in OKC over a 15 year career? I argue that a decade or two from now (legacy) he will be thought of higher than had he stayed in OKC with no rings.
So what? Anyone being honest, paying attention now, knows what tap2390 is true. Fuck what people think in a decade or two.

Last edited by FreshJive; 07-17-2021 at 04:00 AM.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #1858
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think that's incredibly silly.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:52 AM   #1859
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
What's odd is that the game has turned into a dunking and 3 point shot contest.....then you see all of these mid range guys like Booker, Paul, etc. making these buckets from mid range....Refreshing to see.
Agree. I'm not a fan of teams crossing midcourt to tradeoff jacking up 3's. It's a glorified game of horse.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by turin; 07-17-2021 at 11:03 AM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:06 AM   #1860
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Yeah. A ring is a ring, especially when you're the MVP. It's not like he rode the bench and made minimal contribution. He was outstanding on the biggest stage possible and didn't shrink from the challenge.

turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:49 AM   #1861
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Imo, Kd doesn't have an identity connected to a team, similar to Lebron. Dirk did and maybe Giannis does. Ring chaser is less respected than willing your team there. Technically a ring is a ring, but they're not all the same in my eyes. I respect Malone, Stockton, Nash, Barkley and some other all time greats who didn't quite seal the deal as much as I respect KD and Lebron front runner rings.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:54 AM   #1862
JustJay

Even if KD wins another ring in Brooklyn, it's a super team. Just like in this thread there will be some that respect him for getting a ring and being Finals MVP twice and some that think he ringchased and never won without a super team. I'm on the fence because both arguments are valid.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:32 PM   #1863
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Imo, Kd doesn't have an identity connected to a team, similar to Lebron. Dirk did and maybe Giannis does. Ring chaser is less respected than willing your team there. Technically a ring is a ring, but they're not all the same in my eyes. I respect Malone, Stockton, Nash, Barkley and some other all time greats who didn't quite seal the deal as much as I respect KD and Lebron front runner rings.
Well said.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:55 PM   #1864
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
So what? Anyone being honest, paying attention now, knows what tap2390 is true. Fuck what people think in a decade or two.
I mean in the scheme of things....those people's don't matter.

It use to be getting a ring was enough. Now its not. Now its how you got it. Its just silly and these athletes are chasing ghosts. The ghost of MJ..

I could see if KD was playing 6th man for the Warriors but each and every night not only was KD the best player on the court but he was guarded by the teams best defender.

If I were an athlete I wouldn't even care what naysayers think because at the end of the day KD will be regarded as one of the best players to ever play the game and a NBA champion at least 2 times over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
It is..and its funny.....

Because Steph Curry has rings....well respected....has NO Finals MVP's....Iguodala has one and KD has two in those 3 rings Steph has.....yet, I don't hear anyone saying his rings don't count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Agree. I'm not a fan of teams crossing midcourt to tradeoff jacking up 3's. It's a glorified game of horse.

Yeah it was fine when it was like 3 or 4 teams doing it......but its literally every team....I would say its bad for the game but I know some do enjoy.

Quote:
Yeah. A ring is a ring, especially when you're the MVP. It's not like he rode the bench and made minimal contribution. He was outstanding on the biggest stage possible and didn't shrink from the challenge.

Facts
Old 07-17-2021, 01:04 PM   #1865
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
He does though. I mean I always look at him as a Oklahoma City Thunder. Westbrook as well. Harden not so much.

And you respect Nash and Barkley more......

KD at least played 9 years for Seattle/OKC.

Nash played 8 years in Phoenix then he proceeded to ring chase to the Lakers.........

Barkley played 8 years in Philly and then 4 years in Phoenix before he ring chased to the Rockets.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:22 PM   #1866
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
He does though. I mean I always look at him as a Oklahoma City Thunder. Westbrook as well. Harden not so much.

Nash played 8 years in Phoenix then he proceeded to ring chase to the Lakers.........

Barkley played 8 years in Philly and then 4 years in Phoenix before he ring chased to the Rockets.
Nash and Barley both did it at the twilight of their careers though. Not while they were still in their prime. KD joined the team just set the record for the best regular season win/loss record in history. The same team he was up 2-0 on the WCF.

All that after he tweeted:

Tweet

Kevin Durant
@KDTrey5
·
Jul 16, 2010
Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!
Old 07-17-2021, 01:47 PM   #1867
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Nash and Barley both did it at the twilight of their careers though. Not while they were still in their prime. KD joined the team just set the record for the best regular season win/loss record in history. The same team he was up 2-0 on the WCF.

All that after he tweeted:

Tweet

Kevin Durant
@KDTrey5
·
Jul 16, 2010
Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!
Yeah see this goes
Back to what I was saying earlier….now it’s rules to how you get rings. You can be on a Superteam just as long as you are past your prime? Why would I wait that long? At that point I can’t respect a guy staying with a organization against his own wishes just so he can say he didn’t go to a Superteam…
Old 07-17-2021, 02:34 PM   #1868
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I said I respect them AS MUCH as KD, Not more.

Nash played 6 years here and was not retained then went to Phx for 8 years. He was 37 when he went to LA so not exactly in his prime as a ring chaser. He put in his time as a key cog. Barkley was similar situation. Clearly the point was I'm not basing my personal value of the greats of the game with rings...it's a team game. Sometimes players don't quite get it done, other times FOs can't build a championship team.

Old 07-17-2021, 03:22 PM   #1869
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

I think superstars are generally more respected when they have the desire to lead a team to a championship instead of attempting to find a team that has a good chance to bring them one.

I have complete respect for superstars on the backside of their careers signing with legit contenders because their time is running out and they normally still have something to offer. There isn't anything special to me as a fan when guys like KD and LJ attempt to build super teams to get a ring.

But I do think personal brand recognition has something to with their decisions. Playing deep into the POs does keep them in the spotlight and many of them have big egos that like big stages. I have a feeling Luka is in that same category unlike Dirk.

I'm sorry but Dirk winning that championship as the sole superstar player in his prime is the most special thing that I've ever seen as a sports fan. Dirk is beyond special and I'm not sure we'll ever see another player like that again but hoping Luka proves me wrong.

Last edited by rimrocker; 07-17-2021 at 03:24 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:53 PM   #1870
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
I could see if KD was playing 6th man for the Warriors but each and every night not only was KD the best player on the court but he was guarded by the teams best defender.
That team could have won a championship without him. They already won without him and went to game 7 the year before. They were already a dynasty. The best team in the league added one of the best players in the league without losing anything, so when they won the championship, of course it's kind of a big shrug.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:07 PM   #1871
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Also, the Steph Curry comment is ridiculous. He was the main reason that team was nearly a two time champion before Durant hopped on the train.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:17 PM   #1872
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I think superstars are generally more respected when they have the desire to lead a team to a championship instead of attempting to find a team that has a good chance to bring them one.

I have complete respect for superstars on the backside of their careers signing with legit contenders because their time is running out and they normally still have something to offer. There isn't anything special to me as a fan when guys like KD and LJ attempt to build super teams to get a ring.

But I do think personal brand recognition has something to with their decisions. Playing deep into the POs does keep them in the spotlight and many of them have big egos that like big stages. I have a feeling Luka is in that same category unlike Dirk.

I'm sorry but Dirk winning that championship as the sole superstar player in his prime is the most special thing that I've ever seen as a sports fan. Dirk is beyond special and I'm not sure we'll ever see another player like that again but hoping Luka proves me wrong.
I'm with this. Tim Duncan too. He had a better roster and they drafted better but he was a Spurs lifer.

Old 07-17-2021, 06:53 PM   #1873
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm with this. Tim Duncan too. He had a better roster and they drafted better but he was a Spurs lifer.
Yeah, definitely Timmy. Giannis has the opportunity to gain that respect as well as far as I'm concerned.

The fact Dirk beat one of those super teams in the championship really sweetened the situation and beating Wade and LeBron was the cherry on top.
Not sure I'll ever reach that high as a fan in any sport ever again.

I'm a huge KC Chiefs fan but their SB win over the 49ers didn't even come close to being as special as the Dirk led 2011 Mavs championship....not even close.

Last edited by rimrocker; 07-17-2021 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:04 PM   #1874
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
That team could have won a championship without him. They already won without him and went to game 7 the year before. They were already a dynasty. The best team in the league added one of the best players in the league without losing anything, so when they won the championship, of course it's kind of a big shrug.
Yeah, which means the 2nd best defender would've had to guard Curry.
KD signing with GSW seemed cowardice to me as the perception by many was the intention to ride the coattails of an established dynasty.
His status as one of the best players in the league in his prime when he signed with arguably the best team in the league contributed to that perception, and the situation in Brooklyn won't change that in any way. In fact, it almost validates the perception of a lack of courage.

Last edited by rimrocker; 07-17-2021 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:03 PM   #1875
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Yeah, which means the 2nd best defender would've had to guard Curry.
KD signing with GSW seemed cowardice to me as the perception by many was the intention to ride the coattails of an established dynasty.
His status as one of the best players in the league in his prime when he signed with arguably the best team in the league contributed to that perception, and the situation in Brooklyn won't change that in any way. In fact, it almost validates the perception of a lack of courage.
KD didn’t join Brooklyn as a Superteam…:that was Harden…..
Old 07-17-2021, 09:22 PM   #1876
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
I said I respect them AS MUCH as KD, Not more.

Nash played 6 years here and was not retained then went to Phx for 8 years. He was 37 when he went to LA so not exactly in his prime as a ring chaser. He put in his time as a key cog. Barkley was similar situation. Clearly the point was I'm not basing my personal value of the greats of the game with rings...it's a team game. Sometimes players don't quite get it done, other times FOs can't build a championship team.
I feel what you’re saying. I get a lot of fans feel like you do. But I just see how hard it is to even win in this league…I mean I witnessed the Mavs beat the “Superteam” Heat.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:23 PM   #1877
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Maybe. Maybe not. I might be confusing teams but didn’t the Cavs beat them WITH KD.?
Old 07-17-2021, 09:25 PM   #1878
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Also, the Steph Curry comment is ridiculous. He was the main reason that team was nearly a two time champion before Durant hopped on the train.
I’m not denying that. But in those finals he never won a Finals MVP. I don’t take that away from him but it’s proof that KD was their best player in those runs…Iggy was great in that first run.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:30 PM   #1879
SMC0007
Guru

I'm going on record as saying we are about to hire the future head coach of the Mavs in Igor.

Old 07-17-2021, 09:59 PM   #1880
Zeus

Quote:

Absolutely

Tags
jack.kerr aucks