Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-27-2023, 10:13 AM   #1121
sig

sig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the rough

There is no way the Mavs couldn't get an Ayton deal because the Suns refused to take McGee. Now if they were asking for Green or Hardy instead then fine but if they wanted Holmes and THJ and 27 FRP then Mavs shpuld have been all over that. I get Ayton has grown some warts but the guy can play.

IMO, Wood is a better defender than Powell. He may have some breakdowns on swtiches but he is far better protecting the rim and rebounding than Powell. This is on Kidd even if Wood didn't live up to what Mavs wanted. I'd rather have him offensively anyday than THJ. He shoots 3's as good and is pretty solid when you get him the ball in the paint.

I think a solid center to add for depth would be Plumlee from Charlotte/Clips? Could he be had with BiAnnual Excpetion?

Would Wiz take 27 FRP, THJ and McGee/Bullock for Kuzma at 25 mil. I think Kuzma wants to be in LA and at least on the West coast but think Portland or Sacto might make more sense. But they have the Murray bros so maybe not.

I'm curious what the Mavs think of AJ Lawson. They seemed to be upset when they lost him out of summer league last year but quickly signed him when he became available. I didn't think much of him in the summer league but he looked good in the tank game to close the season. He is like a 2nd round pick for me and will turn 23 in a week or 2.

Last edited by sig; 06-27-2023 at 10:14 AM.
sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2023, 10:18 AM   #1122
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Well, we should know a lot more come Friday evening. Still need a big piece either at wing or in the big rotation, perhaps both. But for me, a really good wing is key. Bruce Brown or Grant Williams with the MLE would be money. I'm betting Dillon Brooks and his ego miss out on a solid deal chasing more money only to settle. I have Brown and Williams > Brooks.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 10:22 AM   #1123
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Only thing is those trade specifics come from Stein who is very tight lipped about specifics unless he knows for sure.

So it's kinda hilarious that Javale would be the hold up. I don't really want Ayton or his contract, but it's really sad if the Mavs DO want him and the trade falls apart over McGee.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 10:41 AM   #1124
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple holdups on Ayton

If we can?t fix him, that 30m contract becomes really hard to come off of with the new cba looming. Look what happened to John Collins.

I?m not so quick to dump thj without some type of replacement for his pure shooting. One of our only guys not afraid to let it fly.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:07 AM   #1125
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Missing out on Ayton is a blessing in disguise. Lively is the type of garbage-pail center we need. We need to develop Lively instead of immediately trading for a 25-year-old malcontent who is going to ruin the locker room if things don't go his way.

If you're looking for a stopgap solution then Brook Lopez is right there.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:11 AM   #1126
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Missing out on Ayton is a blessing in disguise. Lively is the type of garbage-pail center we need. We need to develop Lively instead of immediately trading for a 25-year-old malcontent who is going to ruin the locker room if things don't go his way.

That's why I think Capela still makes the most sense if you can still get him. Perfect stop gap for Lively.

Stein did say the teams could talk again for Ayton. Mavs obviously want him pretty badly.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 06-27-2023 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:20 AM   #1127
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
That's why I think Capela still makes the most sense if you can still get him. Perfect stop gap for Lively.

Stein did say the teams could talk again for Ayton. Mavs obviously want him pretty badly.
Capela would be PERFECT but apparently Atlanta is only interested if they're getting Hardy or Green. That's a no for me.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 11:39 AM   #1128
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Capela would be PERFECT but apparently Atlanta is only interested if they're getting Hardy or Green. That's a no for me.
Maybe the Hawks would be more amenable to a S&T for Wood esp since they just lost Collins.

We really need to try and get something back for Wood if possible.

Old 06-27-2023, 12:41 PM   #1129
sig

sig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the rough

The perfect answer from the Hawks would be Okungwu and Dejounte for SnT wood, Green. I might be tempted to throw in a 1st in 27 in that deal. IMO, Okongwu is probably a guy they won't deal and is about to break out. Okungwu, and Bey are all RFA's next summer as is Green. Murray is a UFA. So atlanta may be heading into similar scenario next year with salary. Gotta think Wood and Green salaries would be less and they pocket the 27 FRP. They can keep Capela though I would deal Wood for him since it seems Wood won't be back.

Let's see what Monty Python does in Detroit and how Vogel does with Ayton. Ayton had a really fine year and playoffs when the suns went to the Finals. Then monty won the COY, got a big head, started feuding with Ayton and got outcoached by Kidd who gets blamed for many of the Mavs current problems. I'll defer to RC over Monty anyday and RC wanted Ayton.
sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 01:39 PM   #1130
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hakeem rating = block% + steal %

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-27-2023 at 01:55 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 01:52 PM   #1131
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post

Hakeem rating = block% + steal %
Nice. Looks like this kid has the potential to be a real defensive beast.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-27-2023 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-27-2023, 03:58 PM   #1132
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post

I think a change of scenery would do Ayton good.

I live in Phoenix and I've watched him in college and pro

I don't think everything you read or hear about him is true. Besides mavs have allegedly had Moody guys they traded for in the past who came to Dallas and didn't cause a single problem Vince Carter, Jerry Stackhouse, Nick Van Exel, Deshaun Stevenson and Shawn Marion.

Sometimes a change of scenery brings out the best in guys.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 05:26 PM   #1133
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

I'll believe it when I see it, but some of the packages floated for Ayton seem too good to be true from a Mavs perspective.

Last edited by saclare; 06-27-2023 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-27-2023, 05:44 PM   #1134
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Well we still need to fix our rebounding, and I'm sure the FO knows that. Basically feels like it's going to be Ayton or Capela. The big thing with Ayton is he shares the same agent as Luka.

I'm semi-talking myself into it because it feels inevitable, and we sooooo badly need the rebounding.

And I'm for moving on from THJ. Guy lets us down at every turn. We need his role to go to Hardy anyway.

Old 06-27-2023, 06:54 PM   #1135
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Numerous reports that the Mavs and Suns are still talking. Stein says "don't rule out" Ayton to Mavs. So it seems the Mavs are more interested in Ayton than anyone else. If we can do it without giving up Green or Hardy, I think it's a no brainer, but I don't know the Suns will take any such offer.
Old 06-27-2023, 06:57 PM   #1136
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Numerous reports that the Mavs and Suns are still talking. Stein says "don't rule out" Ayton to Mavs. So it seems the Mavs are more interested in Ayton than anyone else. If we can do it without giving up Green or Hardy, I think it's a no brainer, but I don't know the Suns will take any such offer.
Would you give them 2027 pick if slightly or maybe heavily protected?

Old 06-27-2023, 07:04 PM   #1137
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
I would with as much protection as they'd allow.

pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to trade Lively?

I mean if we get Ayton, where does Lively fit in other than to have less necessity to perform immediately? Ayton fills the starting center role for a couple years until Lively is ready? Then we trade Ayton in his last year as an expiring?
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 07:21 PM   #1138
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to trade Lively?
Uhhhh
Old 06-27-2023, 07:28 PM   #1139
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Yes. I generally don't like trading picks, but it's highly unlikely we'll get a player nearly as good as Ayton with that pick, and Ayton just addresses so many of our needs.

That said, I'd rather have Capela at half the price. But Atlanta seems firm on not giving him up without Green or Hardy, or probably a FRP.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-27-2023 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2023, 08:13 PM   #1140
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Yes. I generally don't like trading picks, but it's highly unlikely we'll get a player nearly as good as Ayton with that pick, and Ayton just addresses so many of our needs.

That said, I'd rather have Capela at half the price. But Atlanta seems firm on not giving him up without Green or Hardy, or probably a FRP.
I'd actually rather include the 27th for Capela even though that might not be worth it long term. We need to win now though. The guy averages 4 offensive rebounds a game which is exactly what we need.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 06-27-2023 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2023, 12:05 AM   #1141
Melonhead
Guru

As someone else said, I would 100% take Capela and his contract over Ayton. Perfect stop gap with Lively who has similar skill set what we hope Lively will be

Not giving up a FRP or Hardy green so maybe they can hammer out something else.

I like Ayton. Think he?d do fine here. But not on 30m.
Old 06-28-2023, 12:58 AM   #1142
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Skin just tweeted 4/160

Assuming that means Kyrie is resigned?
Old 06-28-2023, 03:11 AM   #1143
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be fine with either.

So what would it take for Capela...THJ/2027 FRP? Maxi/Bullock/2027?
He makes the most sense to me because of his age and the ability to help develop Lively.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 03:14 AM   #1144
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Skin just tweeted 4/160

Hard to believe he would accept that, but then again there doesnt seem to be a lot of interest in the market.

Didnt he turn down something like 4/190 from Nets?
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 03:43 AM   #1145
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Skin just tweeted 4/160

Maybe, but I doubt he?s more privy to info than Woj or stein
Old 06-28-2023, 07:08 AM   #1146
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming that Skin is right, who would prefer the deal to a decreasing number?

23-24 $44,285,714
24-25 $41,428,571
25-26 $38,571,429
26-27 $35,714,286
$160m

+++

Numbers reversed from
Mavs(New)CBA
@CBAMavs
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 07:11 AM   #1147
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Maybe, but I doubt he?s more privy to info than Woj or stein
He hasn't mentioned the number, but Woj is saying all signs are pointing to Kyrie re-signing.
Old 06-28-2023, 09:31 AM   #1148
saclare
Platinum Member

Man, tougher call than I would think on Ayton vs. Capela. The latter is the better defender and rebounder, while Ayton is clearly the better offensive player. The salaries would certainly play a role as you could think of it as Capela + an MLE type contract guy vs. just Ayton at $32.5MM next year and growing to $35MM in 2025. Not ideal when you'll have Luka and Kyrie on big contracts and trying to fill out a support cast. Then again, Ayton would be the higher value dude on the trade block should the Mavs feel the need to break it up and replenish the cupboard.

But for my money, if you're trying to win now with Luka and Kyrie, give me Capela. It does seem the Mavs are trying to make one of the Suns/Hawks flinch first with some very uncharacteristic rumors being readily available. In the end, I don't see why the Hawks would dump Capela now that Collins is offloaded.
Old 06-28-2023, 10:12 AM   #1149
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Man, tougher call than I would think on Ayton vs. Capela. The latter is the better defender and rebounder, while Ayton is clearly the better offensive player. The salaries would certainly play a role as you could think of it as Capela + an MLE type contract guy vs. just Ayton at $32.5MM next year and growing to $35MM in 2025. Not ideal when you'll have Luka and Kyrie on big contracts and trying to fill out a support cast. Then again, Ayton would be the higher value dude on the trade block should the Mavs feel the need to break it up and replenish the cupboard.

But for my money, if you're trying to win now with Luka and Kyrie, give me Capela. It does seem the Mavs are trying to make one of the Suns/Hawks flinch first with some very uncharacteristic rumors being readily available. In the end, I don't see why the Hawks would dump Capela now that Collins is offloaded.
I agree with all of that, but unfortunately I agree the most with the very last sentence. The Hawks are not eager to move Capela. In the end, I don't see the Mavs getting either player. I think we're going to have to role with Holmes and Lively as our centers. Hopefully Holmes can have a bounceback year and hopefully Lively can at least play a few minutes of good defense a game.

I'm really hoping we can get Bruce Brown with the MLE. I think he's the perfect fit to round out the backcourt.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-28-2023 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-28-2023, 10:22 AM   #1150
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree with all of that, but unfortunately I agree the most with the very last sentence. The Hawks are not eager to move Capela. In the end, I don't see the Mavs getting either player. I think we're going to have to role with Holmes and Lively as our centers. Hopefully Holmes can have a bounceback year and hopefully Lively can at least play a few minutes of good defense a game.

I'm really hoping we can get Bruce Brown with the MLE. I think he's the perfect fit to round out the backcourt.
Love Brown and hope wing is actually our target. Brown, Williams, and Brooks for me and in that order.

Honestly, if we could land Brown, I'd be in favor of moving the 2027 FRP for Capela.
Old 06-28-2023, 10:51 AM   #1151
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Heat want Wood. Possible we get Vincent for him per Fish
Old 06-28-2023, 11:03 AM   #1152
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Rumor that Mavs have been talking to Raptors about Siakam.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 11:09 AM   #1153
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

OMax wants 2: Kyrie says you can have it
D-Live wants 1: no. That belongs to the great and hallowed Theo Pinson
Old 06-28-2023, 11:20 AM   #1154
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Heat want Wood. Possible we get Vincent for him per Fish
That would be huge if possible
Old 06-28-2023, 11:31 AM   #1155
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Yeah, that's totally gonna happen...

Old 06-28-2023, 12:05 PM   #1156
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just give Theo a cheerleader outfit. Problem solved.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 12:05 PM   #1157
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Isn't Pinson a free agent? Doesn't add up
Old 06-28-2023, 12:35 PM   #1158
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Kenyon Martin Jr reportedly about to be traded.

Three separate past rumors have linked us to them
Old 06-28-2023, 01:18 PM   #1159
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Not happening but I'd send them Hardy, Bullock, THJ and 2027 1st if they want it to land Siakam
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 02:06 PM   #1160
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Kenyon Martin Jr reportedly about to be traded.

Three separate past rumors have linked us to them
Linked to being in the trade or to getting Martin Jr?