Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-22-2001, 12:39 AM   #1
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Insidehoops.com posted a link this story:

http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/nba21_20010721.htm

Seems like Detroit wants Eisley to primarily back up Stack at the 2 spot. The story mentions that Joe Smith could have been trade bait but he's as good as gone to Minny. Anyone have any ideas on what could go down? Any three-way trade possibilities.

It'd be nice if they'd just send us Ben Wallace. Eisley's making $4.5 mil next year, Wallace is making $4.7 mil. 13.2 rpg/6.4 ppg last year in 34 mins/game. He'd be a great fit. He only shot 33.6% from the free throw line.... which is kinda sad when you think about it!! But still.. he'd fill a hole in the Mavs' rebounding...

Who else could Detroit send?
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2001, 02:34 AM   #2
PeterVesceyisdumb

PeterVesceyisdumb is an unknown quantity at this point

Ben Wallace would be a great fit for the mavs. He's a great rebounder and solid defender. The guy averaged 17 rebounds a game over the final 2 months of the regular season. He would give us some much needed inside muscle too. However, the pistons would want more than eisley for him. I don't see the pistons trading wallace unless they get someone really good in return. Eisley certainly wouldn't be enough to get him. Oh well, we can dream can't we?
Old 07-22-2001, 03:18 AM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Clipped from LMF:

Free agency keeping teams together, players in place

By David Aldridge
Special to ESPN.com

Somebody -- it's not clear who -- pulled the plug on a four-team deal involving the Mavericks, Pistons, Magic and Wolves. In this one, Joe Smith would have gone to Minnesota in a sign-and-trade (he will probably still wind up in Minnesota for the mid-level exception); rookie Brendan Hayward was bound for the always center-seeking Mavs; Mateen Cleaves would go to Orlando; and Howard Eisley, a Detroit native, would be repatriated in the Motor City. It may have been Mavs owner Mark Cuban who said no. On the other hand, the Magic might not have wanted to take on Cleaves' first-round salary, figuring to clear $13 million in two years for yet another run at Tim Duncan.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 03:03 PM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think about that trade that David Aldridge was reporting? I wonder who pulled the plug? I hope it wasn't Mark.

I know, I know, I just need to be patient about Eisley. I just can't stand the thought of him here still when the season starts. Hopefully, the Mavs and Pistons are working something else out or with another team??

It's a nice thought but I don't think they'll be sending us Ben Wallace.
Old 07-22-2001, 03:16 PM   #5
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Dang...I love Brendan Hayward.
Old 07-22-2001, 03:17 PM   #6
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

We can get better value for Eisley than a late first-round draft pick.
Old 07-22-2001, 03:27 PM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if Portland will take Buckner and Trent for Steve Smith?
Old 07-22-2001, 04:41 PM   #8
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to see Steve Smith come to Dallas.. but to get him for Trent and Buckner would mean signing Trent to like a $7 mil or so deal at the least. That's definately way more than Trent is worth. But.... this is Portland we're talking about, if they wanted Trent, they might go for it. But I'd hate to see Buck go. If we could get Ruben Patterson for a piece of the exception, then I might tolerate losing Buck.

Trent and Eisley for Smith would work out better salary-wise, but Portland doesn't want Eisley, and they probably don't want Trent either. I just want to see Trent and Eisley go away. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Whatever happened to Pat Riley coveting Eisley? Was that just a dream? If that was the case we could do Eisley for Hardaway straight up, Timmy could be getting nearly $5 mil, and we'd still have our exception.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 04:42 PM   #9
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

We need Buck ALOT more than we need another scorer (smith) in the mix, I know adding another scorer is always a good thing, but in Buck we have a guy that you dont see on every team.
In every game he played in, he gave the guy he was guarding fits.
However I would like to see the Mavs get some value for Trent.
Old 07-23-2001, 06:21 AM   #10
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Buck has to be a Mav!

That Ben Wallace trade sounds great, that's the man we need and he's not a stupid guy like Dennis Rodman. But where to put the other 4/5s the Mavs have: Howard/Booth/Zhizhi/Trent/Bradley/Wallace?
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 10:27 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

we need a guy that can play defense at the 4 and 5 spot alot more than we need buck...but it would be nice to have both..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 01:31 PM   #12
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Brendan Haywood has always reminded me of a somewhat less skilled version of a post-car wreck 32 year old Terry Davis. They both show the same kind of fire and athleticism... Watching Haywood lazily lope around on defense for NC over the last few years has been immensely rewarding for me... Of course I happen to be a Duke fan...

Old 07-23-2001, 01:55 PM   #13
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Brendan Haywood could also be described as a larger, less skilled Adonal Foyle type...

>
Old 07-23-2001, 02:30 PM   #14
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Of course, if we trade Eisley for Haywood, whose salary counts for $0 right now, we get a $6 million trade exception, and something like that could come in very handy. Nice to see you, Evilmav, and good timing...
Old 07-23-2001, 05:06 PM   #15
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Good point Mavinator - Plus, Haywood would be a pretty good backup plan in case someone pries Booth away from us. Do you think that the lack of talk of a Booth signing has anything to do with the Mavs looking at Haywood?

BTW - is the dudes last name Haywood or Hayward?
madape is offline   Reply With Quote