Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-19-2003, 11:41 PM   #1
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default Better than Jason Kidd for the Spurs

Why don't they do something intellegent like try to sign Gary Payton. This way they wouldn't necessarily have to trade Tony Parker. They could start Payton or play small ball with Payton and Parker. Payton's very defensive-minded, and i think he'd be willing to take a lesser role in order to get a ring.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2003, 11:48 PM   #2
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Because Jason Kidd is better than Payton, and he would make the role players alot better than Payton would.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:50 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Better than Jason Kidd for the Spurs

I'll probably get ragged on but I'd rather have Payton than Kidd.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:56 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
I like Payton better than Kidd too but where will Payton be in two years? Kidd will still be playing at a high level.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 12:00 AM   #5
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Me too. Just b/c Kidd SEEMS better doesn't automatically make him the best fit.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 06-20-2003, 12:43 AM   #6
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

the spurs would have to pay a lot less for payton than they would for kidd, which makes me hope they don't get him because they would still have the money to go after someone else.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:53 AM   #7
one long blue sock
Golden Member

True, i think he is more anxious to get out of Mil, than Kidd is to get out of NJ.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:45 AM   #8
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

the spurs would have to pay a lot less for payton than they would for kidd, which makes me hope they don't get him because they would still have the money to go after someone else.

Good point, but I'm not sure that I agree...

Everything I have read about Gary Payton indicates that Milwaukee is actually pretty willing to pay GP quite a pretty penny to stay. I think that after making what looked to be an awful trade of a young star in Ray Allen for the aging Payton, the Bucks will not want to compound their foolishness by refusing to over-pay Payton and thus lose him...

Considering Payton's agent has consistently said that Gary likes playing in Milwaukee and that is his first option in free agency, I tend to think that Payton is fishing for a big contract and probably isn't going anywhere...

At the very least, if the Spurs had any kind of desire to sign GP they would be forced to pay him almost as much as they would pay Kidd just to be able to match the probable tender of Milwaukee...
Old 06-20-2003, 01:50 AM   #9
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

i read in some places that gp was considering signing for the mle somewhere, so that's where i got the idea that san antonio wouldn't have to pay much for him. but if they would have to pay a lot to get him, i am all for it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2003, 01:54 AM   #10
one long blue sock
Golden Member

If he was going to san antonio, he would make them pay more than the MLE, just because he knows they can... but i heard that he is either gonna go to LA or stay with the Bucks.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:09 AM   #11
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are absolutely right Sock, when you say that the only real possibilities are the Lakers and the Bucks. On one side of the equation is a possible championship (without riding coattails- ala joining the Spurs) and returning to the West coast... On the other hand is a big, stinking pile of money in Milwaukee...

I think GP will choose the loot, and thankfully that will preclude the possibility of a cheap Payton in San Antonio...

I still stand by my prediction of a new and decrepit, Duncan-Olowokandi twin-towers arrangement in SA next year...
Old 06-20-2003, 02:18 AM   #12
one long blue sock
Golden Member

I guess tower is a proper name for Kandi, because he is too LAZY to move. Or maybe it could be a one tower and a nice tree next to it. Kandi could be really talented if he would just work on getting better.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:23 AM   #13
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Hahaha... If he joins the Spurs, I certainly hope he exhibits the same kind of sluggardly work ethic that he has exemplified in Clippers-white...

I'll be thrilled if that worthless, former #1 pick in the draft, brings some of the Clippers' spirit to fester with the stupid Spurs...
Old 06-20-2003, 02:51 AM   #14
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
Hahaha... If he joins the Spurs, I certainly hope he exhibits the same kind of sluggardly work ethic that he has exemplified in Clippers-white...

I'll be thrilled if that worthless, former #1 pick in the draft, brings some of the Clippers' spirit to fester with the stupid Spurs...

agreed.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:18 AM   #15
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

The Bucks are rumored to be, possibly, sold to Michael Jordan. I wonder if that will have an affect on whether Payton is re-signed by the Bucks or if it makes Payton prefer to re-sign with the Bucks.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 09:53 AM   #16
Nash13
Diamond Member

If Jordan ends up buying the Bucks, Payton probably won't resign b/c Jordan is not a big fan on paying players a lot of money.

~The Salesman
Old 06-20-2003, 01:25 PM   #17
Intruder

Intruder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Why don't they do something intellegent like try to sign Gary Payton. This way they wouldn't necessarily have to trade Tony Parker. They could start Payton or play small ball with Payton and Parker. Payton's very defensive-minded, and i think he'd be willing to take a lesser role in order to get a ring.
Again making stuff up Nash13.? Where do you come up with this stuff. They are not trading Parker period. Even if they get Kidd. There is no value in trading Parker right now. He's making less than a million right now. In the future when his contract expires on a sign and trade.... Maybe, but not right now.

Intruder

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 01:29 PM   #18
one long blue sock
Golden Member

It would be a pretty damn quick back court if they played small ball.