Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 07-08-2003, 11:11 PM   #1
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default Apartments in Dallas

I am thinking about moving to Dallas in the next month or so (yes, I do things on the spur of the moment.) I am a 2nd year teacher with a masters degree and probably looking at about 42,000 per year in the Dallas ISD. What can I expect to pay in rent in the Dallas area. How should I go about looking for places to live? Does anyone have any tidbits of information to give to a New Yorker as he decides to spend a year in the Dallas area?

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2003, 11:14 PM   #2
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

Just a thought...if you aren't totally set on Dallas you may want to consider Austin. Apartments are getting cheap due to over building during better times and we have some expanding suburban school districts.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 11:22 PM   #3
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Apartments in Dallas

Where is the school? Want to live close? I can give you a range depending on the part of town
Old 07-08-2003, 11:28 PM   #4
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Hey Sweets, my roommate & I are in the dorms again this year but we've just about decided to go the apartment route next year. Any suggestions on how to go about looking?
Old 07-08-2003, 11:45 PM   #5
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

Ames, I would pick an area of town and visit as many complexes as possible. Many are giving good deals to get the places rented. It may be hard to get within walking distance of UT, but many apartments are on the busline and may be an option.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 11:48 PM   #6
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, we did a little looking before we left but it's really hard to stay close to campus like you said. Which is why we are going to start early for next year. I'm talking hunting in November. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:06 AM   #7
cookies_n_mavs

cookies_n_mavs is on a distinguished road

Sweets- You are right. There are some great new apartments in the Austin area (Cedar Park, Round Rock, etc..) that are just so inexpensive right now.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:02 AM   #8
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Hitman, you're gonna love the price whether you go to Dallas or Austin, compared with NY. I've got some friends looking in the downtown D area and ...Plenty of move-in specials, with rent well under $1 per sq. ft.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 09:43 AM   #9
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: cookies_n_mavs
Sweets- You are right. There are some great new apartments in the Austin area (Cedar Park, Round Rock, etc..) that are just so inexpensive right now.
If you're going to live in Austin area, why the f would you live in a suburb? Same as Dallas. I live downtown Dallas where all the action is and will always live downtown or IN the city. Just my opinion of course.

Hitman, I live in the DISD area actually, if you need some info on cool apartments PM me and I'll let you know of some around me.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 09:48 AM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Are you coming to Dallas because of a job? Or will you look when you get here. If you don't already have a job lined up, I would say that Austin is a much better place to live. I would live there if it weren't for 2 things, my family and my job.

But one day, the streets of Austin will have a u2sarajevo on it. I promise.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:22 AM   #11
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

how big of a place are you looking for?

i live in a great community in the north dallas area. i love my complex and its one of the best ive seen. if you need help, let me know.

also check rent.com and call around. most of the prices are much cheaper when you call than they are listed on there.

i have a one bedroom studio that i pay $470 per month for.

the first month i had free, the second month i paid $160 for, $470 thru december. plus i got $100 thru rent.com for using them as a referral.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 12:52 PM   #12
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

damn aex, that's a good price. The only problem I can see with that would be the commute from N Dallas to the DISD area. Of course, there are better districts up north than the DISD, so if he is not locked in, that wouldn't be too bad.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote