Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-06-2001, 09:56 AM   #1
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Pardon me for sounding like Murphy for a minute, but I've been paying close attention to Juwan Howard lately and really the guy is truly AWFUL on defense and can't rebound to save his life.

Now I know he had an amazing game against the Grizz and we probably wouldn't have won without him, but it gets frustrating when he and Bradley are in there and they get OWNED underneath.

I personally feel HARVEY should be our starting Power forward. Now I don't think Juwan shouldn't play alot of minutes, still between 25-30 but Harvey is currently our BEST rebounding Power forward (When Dirk isn't at the 4) and he needs to get extended minutes, I think....
Old 11-06-2001, 10:23 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

well, you have to look at what's more important for the team..and for the game against the grizzlies with dirk out..the mavs needed that additional scoring option..
but, i think you're about to be right about harvey being a better option at the 4. i don't think harvey is ready to step in and start yet, but i feel like he will be ready to get heavy minutes soon.
when dirk's in the game, ..juwan would be a good fit coming off of the bench. and yes, juwan is an absolutely pathetic defendsive player and a poor to average rebounder at best

and the kid, you know i've harped on this alot...but i can see that people are now seeing the same thing that i've talked about for the past few months....yes, he's a good fourth scoring option..but he's an absolutely pathetic defender and a poor rebounder. and the mavs desperately need someone in the game that can defend at the 4 spot and can pull down some boards
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 10:51 AM   #3
TheKid
Diamond Member

After the Grizzlies game, I see why they're reluctant to have him come off the bench. It's because he's a good offensive threat and a surprisingly decent ball handler and he can actually run the floor which I never thought he could do. With all that being said, I've watched closely and it gets frustrating when I SEE HIM get out jumped ALL THE TIME for rebounds and get abused defensively. The main reason I've recognized it is he hasn't even played against one of the elite power forwards yet, so that's even MORE scary.

Harvey seems to have all the things Howard lacks, energy, toughness and athletic ability. NOW Harvey will NEVER be the offensive threat Howard is, however we don't need that. The reason I say Howard should be with the second group is, if we can get a rotation that gets Howard and Hardaway with the second group, Dirk and Fin can get LONG extended periods of rest because the Mavs wouldn't be hurting for an offensive threat.
Old 11-06-2001, 10:58 AM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Im sorry, I just had to slip this little stat in here.

Now, as I don't get to watch as many games as some, it's hard for me to comment on Howard's defense. I haven't seen a game yet this year, so I cannot comment on this part of the thread.

However, The Kid, you say Howard cannot rebound to save his life? Am I missing something so far? He's averaging 9 rebounds a game (3off/6def). Nothing earth-shattering since we all want a pf who can average 10+ rebounds a game, but it's a step up from his 7 from last season.

Sure, it's early in the season and it's remained to be seen if he can hold that number, but I don't think it's a cause to rip on his rebounding just yet.
Old 11-06-2001, 12:58 PM   #5
TheKid
Diamond Member

Mavs,

I've been watching the games and I guess if you just look at the numbers you'd say, that's pretty good. However his rebounds come normally during the end of the game. His offensive rebounds comes from his own misses. It's not so much that though, in the last two games watching him he doesn't go after rebounds. It was refreshing when Harvey got in there because he just went after the ball. Actually in my opinion, Harvey should have had about 12 -13 rebounds the toronto game because he went after the ball and either knocked it lose for other players. That's what I'm talking about.

Don't get me wrong because I think he DOES bring value to this team, I'm not saying he's worthless because he's much more of a threat than we give him credit for. However his assets are definately not in rebounding or defense, that's all I'm saying, therefore I don't think we should rely on him for that.
Old 11-06-2001, 04:17 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

no one is saying he's worthless...he does run the floor, but, offensively when dirk, nash, and finley are in the game...howard is a bit of a possession killer. it seems like the other three kick the ball around very nicely until it goes to juwan....well, the possession usually becomes stagnant.
he is decent on the open floor..but when it comes to half court offense, he's the type of guy that likes to have everyone clear out and him go one-on-one with his guy. this stagnates the offense a bit. that's why i don't think you'll see him get as many touches when dirk, nash, and finley are in the game..this is also why i think someone like harvey would be very valuable in a starting lineup (when he's ready). they can rebound and play better defense than howard..which is what the mavs need in the starting lineup. plus, when the subs come on the floor..howard would have a good opportunity to go against a lesser power forward from the other team allowing him a bit more offensive freedom
just my 3 cents
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 04:23 PM   #7
TheKid
Diamond Member

Actually that's exactly what I was thinking. The thing that always made me not think that was Howard was NOT that bad of a rebounder in College and with Washington, but now he just doesn't do that good of a job, it pisses me off. It really pisses me off when it's just him and Bradley are in there and both of them don't come up with the rebound, then they foul someone.

So I agree, I can accept it when someone doesn't come up with the board, but only when they're out there going after it. That's what Harvey does. Now whether he can do that for an extended period of time remains to be seen, but I know this, he's VERY, VERY energetic when he's in there.