Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-24-2003, 10:23 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs Outside Looking In

Mavs outside looking in

07/25/2003

By RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News

Donnie Nelson's frustration was obvious late Wednesday night.

He was exhausted from days and weeks of early-morning phone calls filled with encouraging news about potential deals and late-night disappointment when yet another trade or signing fell through.

Nelson, the Mavericks' president of basketball operations, watched this week as two blockbuster trades – involving seven teams – were put together with the Mavericks sitting on the bench.

The toughest to stomach was a three-team deal finalized Thursday that sent free-agent center Brad Miller, whom the Mavericks coveted, to Western Conference rival Sacramento. The Kings dealt backup center Scot Pollard to the Pacers, and San Antonio received Sacramento forward Hedo Turkoglu and Indiana guard Ron Mercer.

Nelson conceded that the West just got a lot tougher. Minnesota (Michael Olowokandi, Sam Cassell, Latrell Sprewell), the Lakers (Karl Malone, Gary Payton), San Antonio (Rasho Nesterovic, Robert Horry, Mercer, Turkoglu) and Sacramento (Miller) all went out and got better, at least on paper.

But Nelson said the Mavericks were more than simply observers.

"Don't confuse lack of action for lack of effort," said Nelson, who is spearheading the Mavericks' off-season dealings. "These last couple of weeks have been as intense as back in the early days when we were fighting to put together deals to just be competitive.

"I feel like this cell phone has been glued to my ear for the last two-plus weeks. You work your butt off and you put yourself in the best possible position that you can and you try to sell, try to recruit, try to do all of the above. You can be positioned for a deal and for whatever reason, they don't happen."

From the beginning of the summer, the Mavericks were on what Nelson described as "a roller coaster of emotional ups and downs."

That ride took a steep downward turn when the Mavericks' top free-agent priority, Alonzo Mourning, committed to New Jersey. At that point, Karl Malone had already committed to the Lakers.

"If we get one of those guys earlier in the summer, things change," Nelson said. "But very seldom in this league does your 'A' scenario work out."

Nelson said he has spent many nights running through different scenarios and deals. And that process won't stop just because another big man has bypassed Dallas. With the major free agents out of the way, Nelson said the Mavericks would explore trades. But they won't risk breaking up the team.

"There are a lot of rosters that look good on the grease board, and ours has proven itself on the floor and it's been our intent to keep that group together. It deserves that," Nelson said. "We feel like if we get some role players in some certain areas, we can continue on the road we built. You never say never in this business."

Old 07-24-2003, 10:31 PM   #2
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

I don't like the part where he says that he is going to continue on the road they have built. It kind of sounds like they arn't willing to give up the big 4 so much that they won't be able to get any younger
Old 07-24-2003, 10:42 PM   #3
Mavs_Rule2003

Mavs_Rule2003 is on a distinguished road

I think Big 4 is relitavely young. and the one with higest age (NVE) is going to have expiring contract after next year with opt out options. And nash (30) will have his contract expired next season too. So, i think breaking Big 4 atleast this season wouldnt make such a good sense unless they really get something good in return. Which by the way is looking more and more gloomy as day the progresses.
Mavs_Rule2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 10:45 PM   #4
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Mavs Outside Looking In

I don't blame Donnie at all. He is probably working his butt off like he says. When Cuban comes in with candy bars and popcorn and says 'Hey, is that a player, can I talk to him, invite him over for a movie and board games.'' Donnie is having to play Daddy for Cuban. Add that to having to call the beer guzzling actual father in Maui everyday, there is no way to get things done, hence the failures and becoming the 'worst offseason in Mavs history'.

Another thing, Donnie and Nellie get reported as 'Nelson'. It always confuses me and I'm sure it confuses some of you. So when they write, Nelson said bla bla, I can't figure out which one is actually doing anything. I think this was a conspiricy plan from the beginning, one can be doing nothing in Maui and the other can do all the work, and were sitting there reading the stories not knowing which one is which. The stories need to use the Nellie and Donnie names. Just my opinion.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote