Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-24-2003, 11:48 AM   #1
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough
Default Dirk needs to elevate

due to the T-Pupps becoming the TimberWolves,the lakers becoming an enhanced foster home,Sacto getting Miller,SA getting Rasho and big Rob(not that much of a change but still),and just about every top western team improvement in this offseason,i think for us to stay alive and kickin in the fight for western control,Dirk should bring his game THIS SEASON to levels we thought he'll need a couple of years to reach.

+,a Raef trade has to happen on the 31st,OR,he'll stop being a p**sy,the first is more likely,but Raef is just an example of things that should happen right,like,Josh should play like we hope he can,Shawn is the same case as Raef,Mike should work on his handles(if possible at his age)and work on penetrating and taking it to the basket,instead of settling for a fade away.

i believe if Dirk does elevate his game,he'll take the entire team with him,its more up to him than ever.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2003, 12:17 PM   #2
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: nowitzki_prophecy
due to the T-Pupps becoming the TimberWolves,the lakers becoming an enhanced foster home,Sacto getting Miller,SA getting Rasho and big Rob(not that much of a change but still),and just about every top western team improvement in this offseason,i think for us to stay alive and kickin in the fight for western control,Dirk should bring his game THIS SEASON to levels we thought he'll need a couple of years to reach.

+,a Raef trade has to happen on the 31st,OR,he'll stop being a p**sy,the first is more likely,but Raef is just an example of things that should happen right,like,Josh should play like we hope he can,Shawn is the same case as Raef,Mike should work on his handles(if possible at his age)and work on penetrating and taking it to the basket,instead of settling for a fade away.

i believe if Dirk does elevate his game,he'll take the entire team with him,its more up to him than ever.

It's more than Dirk IMO. This team is going to all have to elevate there game and I don't believe that will happen. If this team plans on staying pat this hole team is going to have to play above normal. Lets all be for real. Raef is not going to become a better rebounder or a post up machine after playing this long and he still hasn't become one. Fin isn't going to become a better ball handler after one off season and Nash will not learn how to perform like a All Star at the end of the season and into the post season. These things are critcal because to me those things hur the Mavs in the worst way because all of those things are exactly what the Mavs need the most. I don't think Dirk can bring all of that and he shouldn't have too.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 12:19 PM   #3
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

that's the problem. If Dirk has the elevate his game for the Mavs to have a chance at competing for a ring then were in trouble. Could he elevate his game? yes. Will it be enough? NO.

The mavs doesn't need Dirk to elevate, they need muscle down low. That's the only way the mavs will compete in the West. Dallas has the worst low post game in the West.HANDS DOWN. And that will be our downfall until the problem is corrected. that simple...

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 01:17 PM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Dirk needs to elevate

Quote:
More?

Man!, Dirk needs help, a lot of help from the other 2 starters and 12 benchers.

At the pace he is playing, like last season, he will have serious physical problems soon.

He might try to improve the quality of his game, but Nellie shoudn't play him more than 40 minutes per game at most.

The team has to take care of his main -and maybe only- real asset.

Old 07-24-2003, 03:14 PM   #5
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

chiwas,you misunderstood,first,i didnt mean dirk should play more minutes,near 40 is more than enough,i ment he should be more involved,taking more responsebilety and taking more than18 shots a game.
he could and should be the best player in the league,better than Duncan,better than Kobe,and i think this is the time to show it.

BB,you can live without a post game,thats not our problem,however,you can't win a title without SOME post DEFENSE,that was our problem in the SA series,we didnt had a problem getting the dots on the board,we never do.
hopefully,Dirk will improve in that department,he already said its a part of his game he's planning to work on in the offseason.
i dont think that Dirk would become a defensive stopper on the post but its certainly a start.

i really dont think the entire team needs to improve so we'll have a shot,you'r all over estimating the West,and underestimating our team.
we need to play smart,and we need to play like a team.
so far,we foolishly started playing from the start of the season,caused injuries and dropped a huge lead to SA.
our entire offense consists of picks and one on ones.
potentialy,i think we're at least as good as LA,Min,SA and all those teams,but we really need to start getting our shit together,and i think Dirk could have a huge part in that.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 04:05 PM   #6
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

I feel what you're saying NP...everyone wants to build this team around Dirk, right? Well that means he's going to be the LEADER of this team. He needs to play with the most intensity every night and show determination to get better on D and the rest will follow. This team can beat anyone when they WANT to. Sometimes it doesn't seem like they're always in it though. They need Dirk to elevate his game and make them WANT it. If they want to be champs Dirk needs to lead by example.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 01:11 AM   #7
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I agree with you. If shaq isn't healthy and not playing well it doesn't matter how great their core is. If TDunc has a bad year the spurs will still be good but not great. This league is still predicated on superstars no necessarily role players.

Nellie needs to keep raef inside,end of discussion. Miller, rasho, and kandiman hardly make me shiver.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote