Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-27-2003, 10:42 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spurs beat Mavs

In the first game of the final day of the Reebok Rocky Mountain Revue the San Antonio Spurs took on the Dallas Mavericks. It was San Antonio claiming the victory with an 85-80 win.

In the first quarter it was the Spurs striking first jumping out to an 8-2 lead. Amemdola Okalaja and Mo Carter led the Spurs to a 21-16 first quarter lead with eight points a piece. Dallas had trouble putting the ball in the whole going three for 15 shooting just 20 percent from the floor as a team in the first quarter. Leading the Mavericks in the first quarter was Josh Powell with five points.

Dallas’ shooting troubles did not get any better in the second quarter shooting just 28 percent on four of 14 shooting. On the other side of the court the Spurs shot a respectable 56 percent on nine of 16 shooting in the quarter. Hanno Mottola out of the University of Utah led the Spurs along with Okalaja with 7 points in the quarter. Former Utah Jazz man Ike Austin led the Mavericks in the second quarter. At the half it was the Spurs leading 45-29.

The third quarter found both San Antonio and Dallas shooting 50 percent from the field in an evenly matched quarter. The play of Tyrone Ellis with nine points in the quarter for the Mavericks kept the Mavericks within striking distance going into the fourth quarter. At the end of the third the Spurs held a 17 point lead 66-49. Once again it was Okalaja for the Spurs in the third quarter with four points trying to help them to their first victory here at the Revue.

Dallas came out running to begin the fourth quarter to close the gap to 10 with just over five minutes remaining. San Antonio let the Mavericks back into the game with a three minute stretch where they could not get the ball to fall. With just under a minute to go the Mavericks had cut the lead to five and then three with just :15 seconds to go. However their charge came just too late to try and come back as San Antonio recorded their first win of the Revue 85-80. The Dallas Mavericks finished 2-4 in the Revue while the San Antonio Spurs went 1-4.

Old 07-27-2003, 12:45 PM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default Spurs beat Mavs

Quote:
Spurs beat Mavs
We knew that. Should have you reminded us? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Just kidding. It seems Austin played well.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:05 PM   #3
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default Spurs beat Mavs

See what I mean about summer league play ?

Amemdola Okalaja, Mo Carter, Hanno Mottola, Ike Austin, and Tyrone Ellis...

Like these guys are going to be big time NBA contributors this year ( or any year)

Please...summer league is just summer league. It ain't the NBA !
Old 07-27-2003, 01:11 PM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default Spurs beat Mavs

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass

Like these guys are going to be big time NBA contributors this year ( or any year)

It's the only thing we have now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]. Would you prefer the WNBA? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (well, better legs)

Old 07-27-2003, 01:46 PM   #5
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold
Default Spurs beat Mavs

But when you dominate or at least are successful in the summer league it means you can play. Howard and Daniels have proven this. I'm not expecting them to cure us of our troubles, but in two or three they should be contributing in some sort of way. I don't think we should be wanting to much from them, but just happy that we will have nice talent to bury on the end of the bench for the future at worst.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 01:50 PM   #6
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default Spurs beat Mavs

Now F-Man..I didn't say a word about Howard and Daniels...you know that I'm on board with both those guys....

Cranky today ? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2003, 02:05 PM   #7
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Spurs beat Mavs

sorry, been trying to prove my 'their good, but shouldn't be expected to do much next year' theory. Also got a lot of homework to do, trying to avoid it.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 03:36 PM   #8
JoshHoward5

JoshHoward5 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Spurs beat Mavs

No one worry about summer league. The regular season is all that matters.
JoshHoward5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 05:02 PM   #9
ce50nt

ce50nt is on a distinguished road
Default Spurs beat Mavs

Quote:
No one worry about summer league. The regular season is all that matters.
NO WAY! Are you serious???
Old 07-27-2003, 06:29 PM   #10
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Spurs beat Mavs

Its an evaluation period to see who can play and who can't.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote