Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-27-2003, 08:21 PM   #1
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default The soccer Gold Cup 2004

Mexico defeated Brazil 2-0 (the World Champion) in the Azteca Stadium today to win the Gold Cup.

The US won Costa Rica 3-2 for the third place.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:30 PM   #2
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default The soccer Gold Cup 2003

Didn't mexico get their a$$es handed over by US in actual world cup soccer.

Chiwas, I am trying to make your topic a little more interesting.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:25 AM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Default RE: The soccer Gold Cup 2003

The US team has our number. But this time we got the cup.

Old 07-30-2003, 11:32 AM   #4
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

The US doesn't have Mexico's number, the US is just currently better. Although most people wouldn't know, since soccer it not a well followed sport, the US has some great young talent and will only continue to get better. Straight up the US has more naturally athletic people than most countries and better youth programs than most countries. It's only a matter of time before the US wins a World Cup...
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 11:54 AM   #5
Chiwas
Guru

The US team won't go to the next World Cup. My prediction.

Costa Rica and Honduras could make it along the all-time Concacaf favorite, Mexico.

Old 08-01-2003, 03:16 PM   #6
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

i will bet you whatever amount of money that you want to bet that the US makes it into the next World Cup.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 06:27 PM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: The Crippler
i will bet you whatever amount of money that you want to bet that the US makes it into the next World Cup.
I will quote you:
Quote:
Having such thin skin is so unbecoming of you. Are you 2?
This way you can't refuse my answer, if in any point of time you considered yours proper.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-02-2003, 12:58 PM   #8
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Your prediction was they wouldn't make the World Cup in 06. Are you willing to bet or not? Don't hate because we own your country in soccer now. It's just a fact. Beat us, then we can talk.

I don't see how my wanting to take you up on your prediction is having thin skin, but oh well...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
Old 08-02-2003, 02:56 PM   #9
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
I don't see how my wanting to take you up on your prediction is having thin skin, but oh well...
You have bad memory. It was exactly the same situation but our positions were exactly the opposite.

Anyway, let's talk soccer. The US has defeated Mexico many times last years. The next text shows it very well:

"Since 1980, U.S. has posted an 9-8-6 record in the series and has won five of the six matches played since 2000. The U.S. outscored Mexico by a total of 10-1 in those five matches." [Till June 2002]

This year they tied 0-0 in the US.

However, this is the present ranking from FIFA:

1.- Brazil
2.- France
3.- Spain
4.- Netherlands
5.- Mexico
6.- Argentina
7.- Turkey
8.- Germany
9.- United States

Why is Mexico ranked so high? Because Mexico just won the Gold Cup defeating TWO times the World Champion and currently #1 ranked, Brazil. Also the US is ranked high cause the US got the semifinals and won the third place.

The present moment is different than 1 year ago. Mexico is better today and the last results have shown it.

However, I still think that the US has the Mexico's number, until Mexico demostrates the opposite playing against the US and winning.

(BTW, my prediction was false; the US will be in the 2006 World Cup)

Old 08-02-2003, 04:59 PM   #10
The Crippler
Diamond Member

don't act like beating that brazilian team is any accomplishment. Brazil was playing with their U23 team with only 1 player that had any WC experience. This in no way was the two time defending champ.
Granted, the US lost to them 1-0 on a late PK, but head to head, until Mexico beats the US, they have no reason to talk or celebrate.

I want your opinion on one thing though. Why are the Mexican players so unsportmanlike and dirty? There is not a team in soccer that I despise more than the Mexican national team and I watch a lot of soccer. Can you explain why, and are you proud of your teams behaivor and flying elbows?
Old 08-02-2003, 09:11 PM   #11
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I want your opinion on one thing though. Why are the Mexican players so unsportmanlike and dirty? There is not a team in soccer that I despise more than the Mexican national team and I watch a lot of soccer.
I have to chime in on this. You say you watch soccer a lot. I am a soccer fan and have not seen any dirty play from mexican team. As a matter of fact, what do you consider dirty? Maradona taking steroids or a team willing to give their hearts out on the field.

Can you explain why, and are you proud of your teams behaivor and flying elbows?

Although this question was not directed towards me:

You are talking like Phil Jackson.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:50 AM   #12
Chiwas
Guru

The Team Behavior and The Flying Elbows.

===============

Reference: World Cup 2002 (is it good reference?)

Matches played. Mexico 4, US 5.

1.- Team's yellow cards.
Mexico 8, US 14.
Per game. Mexico 2, US 2.8
Mexico 16th worst, US 4th worst, among 32 teams.

2.- Red cards.
Mexico 1, US 0.
3 teams with 2, 11 teams with 1, 18 teams with 0.

3.- Fouls commited.
Mexico 63, US 90
Per game. Mexico 15.7, US 18
Mexico 18th worst, US 7th worst.

4.- Tackles commited.
Mexico 184, US 217
Per game. Mexico 46, US 43.4
A 2.4 difference per game. 5%.

This is the reality of the Team Behavior and Flying Elbows.

Old 08-03-2003, 11:27 AM   #13
The Crippler
Diamond Member

I'm speaking strictly of US v. Mexico matches. Of course, what you fail to mention is that red card occured during the WC match and the US had 5 yellow cards to Mexico's 6 in the game along with the Red card. 5 of those yellow's occured during the last 20 minutes of the match when the game was no longer in doubt. That is dirty and unsportmanlike play no matter how you try and spin it.

Rafael Marquez's red card might have been the most blatent foul I have ever seen. He tried to kill Cobi jones. Thankfully the ref saw it the same way and threw the dirty mf'er out of the game.

Here's a Senagallese reporter's perspective of the final 20 minutes...
"Blanco just ran over another guy, and screamed shit at him horribly while they were on the ground. And he looks so harmless. That's why they're the most dangerous. Really, Mexico is playing a dirty game right now, pounding US players mercilessly and grabbing about five yellows and one red since half-time (while the US has receieved none)."

Classy team.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:48 AM   #14
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
I'm speaking strictly of US v. Mexico matches.
Oh, I see. Could you be more specific, between what minutes, what temperature, raining or snowing?

Quote:
Rafael Marquez's red card might have been the most blatent foul I have ever seen.
Guess who is the new central for the Barcelona? Oops!

Rafael Marquez is considered the finest central nowadays in the world. (Ask the Barcelona).

Well, maybe one year changed him...or the red card.

Edit. I was thinking in Hugo Sanchez. Barcelona, not Real Madrid.

Old 08-03-2003, 08:35 PM   #15
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

I don't feel like Mexico is an overly dirty team either. They do they flopping and acting jobs with the best of them, but when you're strictly talking about Mexico vs US games you can't say they're any dirtier than the US. The fact is that's a heated rivalry game. The young up and comers trying to take control of the historically dominant team - it's bound to get nasty. It's like when the Redskins play the Cowboys. Chiwas, even though you were joking about the US not making the WC, you've got to admit that the US team is drastically improved recently. Landon Donovan and Demarcus Beasley are two of a handful of teens that are going to start arriving on the US squad. This team is for real and they're only going to get better.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 09:08 AM   #16
The Crippler
Diamond Member

Adu.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:10 PM   #17
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: The Crippler
Adu.
Seriously. I know hes 14 but he would be running circles around most of our full MNT competition. Call him up Bruce!

turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 05:18 PM   #18
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

And didnt mexico beat brazil 1-0 in the gold cup final?
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:51 PM   #19
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
Chiwas, ... you've got to admit that the US team is drastically improved recently.
I admit it. Definitely.