Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-07-2003, 09:13 AM   #1
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default 8/7 ESPN Insider - Which 3rd years will get the love ?

No stars in the Class of 2000?
By Chad Ford
NBA Insider
Send an Email to Chad Ford Thursday, August 7
Updated: August 7
9:54 AM ET

For those of you who believe that the NBA Draft Class of 2000 may be the worst ever, you'll be getting the confirmation you've been looking for soon enough.

Teams have until Oct. 29 to extend the contracts of players picked in the first round of 2000 NBA Draft. Typically, three to four players from an eligible draft class receive max contract extensions, and several others receive healthy six year deals.

This year, that number could be zero for the first time ever.

Kenyon Martin
Power Forward
New Jersey Nets

2002-2003 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
77 16.7 8.3 2.4 .470 .653

Of the class of 2000, only the No. 1 overall pick, Kenyon Martin, has an outside shot at securing a max deal this fall.

Last year, by way of comparison, three players -- Steve Francis, Baron Davis and Shawn Marion -- got max extensions. Four others -- Wally Szczerbiak, Ron Artest, Jonathan Bender and Jeff Foster -- got significant long-term contracts.

During the summer of 2001, four players received max extensions -- Antawn Jamison, Vince Carter, Dirk Nowitzki and Paul Pierce. Three others -- Jason Williams, Michael Dickerson and Al Harrington -- garnered long term deals.

But that's not even the entire story. Several of the players from the draft classes of 1999 and 1998 held out for richer deals and got them in restricted free agency after their fourth seasons.

This summer, 1999 draftees Elton Brand, Richard Hamilton, Andre Miller, Corey Maggette, James Posey and Kenny Thomas nailed down long term deals. Lamar Odom and Jason Terry appear to be close to doing the same thing.

Last year, 1998 alumni Mike Bibby, Raef LaFrentz, Larry Hughes, Bonzi Wells, Matt Harpring and Ricky Davis got their money.

But the Class of 2000 is on an entirely different road. Even Martin, who has played in the NBA Finals for the past two seasons, has struggled to convince ownership he's a max type player. Martin is seeking a six-year deal between $85 million and $90 million.

Nets president Rod Thorn thinks Martin is dreaming. "We have a difference of opinion," Thorn said last week. "Every negotiation is different. As I said, we have a difference of opinion, but I don't want to get any more specific than that."

The problem for Thorn is it's pretty tough to argue Martin has earned it. Martin put in his best year as a pro last season, but his averages of 16.7 ppg, 8.3 rpg on 47 percent shooting hardly scream max player. Neither did his 3-for-23 shooting performance in Game 6 of the NBA Finals last spring.

Martin doesn't quite see it that way.

"I think they realize how important I am to this team, so things should be good. I want my due," Martin told the N.Y. Post last week.

“ He's never going to be a 20 and 10 type guy. He's a good player, don't get me wrong, but with the new salary cap rules in place, there's no reason to throw max type money his way. ”
— A rival GM, on Kenyon Martin's value
While Martin has increased his scoring, rebounding and shooting averages over the last three years, other GMs around the league wonder how much better he's actually going to get.

"He's never going to be a 20 and 10 type guy," one rival GM told Insider. "He's a good player, don't get me wrong, but with the new salary cap rules in place, there's no reason to throw max type money his way. I think Rod will hold his ground on this one. With the way the market is right now, I don't think Martin could get a max offer in restricted free agency next year. If he does, the Nets could still match."

At least Martin can talk about a big contract with a straight face. For the rest of the Class of 2000, they'll be lucky to get much more than a six-year, $42 million, mid-level type deal.

After three seasons, no one in the class has a career average of more than 14.6 ppg or 7 rpg. Mike Miller is the only other player in the class to have a season where he averaged more than 15 ppg.

By way of comparison, the Class of 2001 had four players average more than 15 ppg in their sophomore seasons -- Pau Gasol, Jason Richardson, Richard Jefferson and Tony Parker.

Who's likely to get an extension this fall? Insider did some snooping around and identified just five players besides Martin with a good chance of getting an extension. For the rest of the class, they'll be looking at restricted free agency next summer.

Who will get the love?

Mike Miller, G/F, Grizzlies

Miller
Last year's stats: 15.6 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 43 percent shooting from the field
The skinny: Jerry West didn't trade away Drew Gooden and Gordan Giricek to let Miller slip away in free agency. West loves Miller's ability to shoot from the perimeter and put the ball on the floor. And it shouldn't cost him a fortune to keep Miller in the fold. Based on what other players are getting right now in the market, a six-year, $50 million deal should get it done.

Jamal Crawford, G, Bulls

Crawford
Last year's stats: 10.7 ppg, 4.2 apg, 41 percent shooting from the field
The skinny: Crawford finally began to break out the last two months of the season, once he began to get some consistent minutes. In March he averaged 15.9 ppg and 6.7 apg on 45 percent shooting. In April he averaged 23 ppg and 6.5 apg on 47 percent shooting. With Jay Williams out this season, Crawford will be running the Bulls. The Bulls would be better off locking him up now. If he has a huge season, they will be paying a lot more money to keep him next summer. A six-year, $42 million deal should be enough to keep him in the fold.

Desmond Mason, G/F, Bucks

Mason
Last year's stats: 14.3 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 45 percent shooting from the field
The skinny: Mason has become a key component in the Bucks' rebuilding process and showed signs last season that he was ready to become a breakout star. The question the Bucks have to answer is where they're going to play him. Mason has been more comfortable at the three, but because of his size, he's a better fit at the two. He's going to have to shoot better than 29 percent from behind the arc, however, to dislodge Michael Redd from that position. Mason also looks on track for a six-year, $40 million type deal.

Jamaal Magloire, C, Hornets

Magloire
Last year's stats: 10.3 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 48 percent shooting from the field
The skinny: The Hornets are beginning to reverse their terrible track record in re-signing their own free agents. They locked up Baron Davis last fall and P. J. Brown this summer, and they need to do the same with Magloire this fall. While his numbers don't scream franchise center, he's still one of the best young centers in the East. Given the dearth of other options out there, he should be able to nail down a six-year, $45-50 million deal.

Morris Peterson, F, Raptors

Peterson
Last year's stats: 14.1 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 39 percent shooting from the field
The skinny: Peterson has been a solid, if unspectacular, role player on the Raptors the past several years. He had career bests in points and rebounds last season, but his shooting percentage took a major dive, especially from behind the arc, where he hit just 34 percent. Still, with the difficulty attracting major free agents to Toronto, the Raps should be able to get him signed to a deal in the six-year, $32 million range.

Wait 'til next year: Stromile Swift, F, Grizzlies; Darius Miles, F, Cavs; Marcus Fizer, F, Bulls; Joel Przybilla, C, Bucks; Keyon Dooling, G, Clippers; Etan Thomas, F, Wizards; Courtney Alexander, G, Hornets; Hedo Turkoglu, G/F, Spurs; Quentin Richardson, G, Clippers; DeShawn Stevenson, G, Jazz; Jake Tsakalidis, C, Suns.

Around the League

Insider has obtained more specifics on several free-agent contracts.

Brad Miller's contract with the Kings worked out to the tune of seven years, $67.4 million. His starting salary for next season in $7 million.

Jerry Stackhouse's re-negotiation and extension with the Wizards was for four years, $32 million.

Earl Boykins' contract with the Nuggets will be for five years, $13.7 million.

Darrell Armstrong's deal with the Hornets is for two years, $4.6 million.

Jumaine Jones signed a three-year, $5.1 million deal with the Celtics, not three years, $4.1 as has been reported in the Boston media.

Anthony Carter's contract with the Spurs is for two years, $1.6 million with a player option after year one.

Remember when Lamar Odom actually wanted to be a Clipper? I was never quite sure whether that was some sort of blind loyalty or the hooch talking whenever Odom started up about staying in L.A. His latest comments to the Miami Herald are further evidence that Odom has sobered up and is ready to get serious about his NBA career. Odom said on Wednesday that he hopes the Clips won't match the Heat's offer sheet.

"I feel like my relationship with the Clippers is over," Odom told the Herald. "From my understanding, no one wants to hire a disgruntled employee or bring a disgruntled employee back. I would not be happy coming back. I think my career is going to take off with the Heat. I'm running in muddy waters with the Clippers."

Clippers president Elgin Baylor is still maintaining, however, that the Clips will match any offer for Odom. The O.C. Register reported today that Baylor told Odom on Tuesday that the Clips intended to match. The Heat appear close to a six-year offer worth between $60 and $70 million. Is that too rich for the Donald Sterling's blood? Odom's agent, Jeff Schwartz, hopes so.

"To sign somebody back out of spite is gutless and is sorry," Schwartz told the Herald. "I just want to get as far away from the Clippers as possible."

Today is the last day the Warriors can match the Wizards' offer for Gilbert Arenas. Given that the team would have to clear close to $20 million to match the Wizards' offer, it's safe to say that Arenas will be wearing a Wizards jersey on Friday.

GM Garry St. Jean tried to shift blame on why the Warriors couldn't find a way to keep Arenas in the fold.

"Twenty-four of the 29 teams in the league were over the cap, and they all would have been in this position," he told the San Francisco Chronicle of the limitations regarding signing Arenas. "People have asked me if we could've dumped contracts, make it all work. It was almost impossible. We would have had to knock off about 17 or 18 million dollars, and nobody was willing to take that on."

Restricted free agent Stephen Jackson told the Rocky Mountain News that he's leaning toward signing with the Nuggets if the price is right. "It's definitely a great place," Jackson said. "They're putting together the pieces. I definitely would like to be part of that process. They took some knocks on the head (last season), but now they're putting together the pieces of the puzzle. I would love to be there."

According to the paper, Jackson is seeking a long-term deal in excess of $4 million per season.

Mavs coach Don Nelson said the team is still trying to work out a deal for a legit big man. "We're having lots and lots of conversations, but nothing to report," Nelson told the Star Telegram. According to the paper, the team is looking at Dale Davis, Antonio Davis, Kurt Thomas, Vitaly Potapenko, Brian Grant, Erick Dampier, Danny Fortson and Marcus Camby as possible trade targets.