Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-08-2003, 08:55 AM   #1
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default Miami signs Wallace and Woods

article from HOOPSHYPE / MIAMI HERALD

WALLACE SIGNS

The Heat signed forward John Wallace and is expected to finalize a deal with center Loren Woods by today.

The 6-9 Wallace joins new Heat forwards Samaki Walker and Udonis Haslem. The team already has Brian Grant and Malik Allen at the power forward position.

Wallace was drafted by the Knicks in 1996 and spent six years with New York, the Toronto Raptors, the Detroit Pistons and the Phoenix Suns. His best season was in 1997-98, when he averaged 14 points and 4.5 rebounds while shooting 48 percent in 82 games for the Raptors.

Woods, who stands 7-1, has averaged 1.9 points and 2.2 rebounds in two seasons with the Minnesota Timberwolves. He can be a shot-blocking presence but probably needs to put on weight to become an effective NBA center.

Woods' signing could lead to the departure of free agent Vladimir Stepania, who is seeking a multiyear deal. The Heat has offered Stepania a one-year contract.

do you guys think this points to Grant being traded? they now have Walker, Haslim, Beasley, Allen, Wallace and Grant at PF. I know one of them will have to play C, but that's alot of PF's for one team. Maybe they are setting up to dump Grants salary? if it is clearly just a salary dump, then do you think the Mavs have a chance to land him without losing NVE?
Old 08-08-2003, 08:56 AM   #2
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default RE: Miami signs Wallace and Woods

especially since the Heat are about to sign Odom??
Old 08-08-2003, 09:36 AM   #3
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Wow. What a great assortment of talent the Heat are assembling.

Perhaps they should take a look at Ed O'Bannon, Omar Cook, and Toby Baily.

Seriously. This team is filled with NCAA stars who became enormous busts in the NBA.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 10:03 AM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

This is a WTF is going on type signing. If I was a season ticket holder for the Heat I would be upset.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 10:35 AM   #5
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: MFFL
This is a WTF is going on type signing. If I was a season ticket holder for the Heat I would be upset.
To me, Riley is getting the team ready to sell. Avoiding long term contracts (except getting a "Star" attraction for new owner like Odom). The next step will be for him to dump long term contracts of Grant and Jones if he can.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 11:10 AM   #6
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

I think the heat are in a fantastic position right now.

1. They have two young players that they can build on.
2. They have a coach that Free Agents might actually consider coming to play for.
3. They have two bad contracts, but have the ability to dump 1. Keeping Jones might be good, just to have experience.
4. If they sign odom they will contend in the east:

PG: Odom/Wade
SG: Jones/Wade
SF: Butler/Odom
PF: John Wallce/Haslem
C: Grant/Loren Woods

5. If they don't get Odom, they can dump Grant's salary on Dallas, insure a top 5 lottery pick, and have about 19-20 mil in cap next summer to go after a FA or two. Odom, Rasheed will be guys that are realistic to get next year if Odom takes the one year.

Actually, if Riley was a patient man, he would dump Grant now, and wait til next year. The thing is the guy likes to win too much for his franchises good.
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 11:23 AM   #7
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

As George Constanza would say to having Grant on the Mavs roster:

"I would LOVE it!"
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 12:24 PM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I don't know why but when I heard Woods and Wallace I thought it was Rasheed and Qyntel. Can they still afford Odom?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 12:26 PM   #9
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Dirk41= konsesjonen is on a distinguished road

Pointless, perhaps this means Grant is gone though....
Dirk41= konsesjonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 01:15 PM   #10
DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler is on a distinguished road

it looks like they may get rid of grant..cuz they're soon gonna get odom as well...
Old 08-08-2003, 04:35 PM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

If the Heat don't get Odom then I see them trading for Googs and picking up a 1st rounder for their effort.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 11:32 PM   #12
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

I think this bodes well for the mavs. We just lost griff, and it's no secret that the mavs are interested in Grant and Stepania. Could something be in the works here? maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote