Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-12-2003, 09:56 AM   #1
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road
Default John Lucas to Baylor??

Lucas mum on Baylor job
08/12/2003

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

SAN ANTONIO – Former Cleveland Cavaliers coach John Lucas dodged questions about the Baylor men's basketball coaching vacancy Monday while attending Cowboys training camp at the Alamodome.

Lucas' son, John Lucas III, is a player on the team. John Lucas said he considers himself part of the Baylor family but was solely focused on learning more about possible NCAA violations and the Patrick Dennehy situation.

Colleges

Three Baylor players say they'll stay

Lucas mum on Baylor job

More colleges

Athletic director Tom Stanton and coach Dave Bliss resigned Friday amid allegations of NCAA violations. School president Dr. Robert B. Sloan, Jr. put the program on two-year probation. Dennehy, a Baylor player, was found dead, and former player Carlton Dotson has been arrested.

"My son and I are trying to get through this," said Lucas, who added that he has spoken with Bliss. "I'm a family member there, so right now our concern is to investigate, listen and learn."

Lucas was asked if, as a member of the family, he would consider an offer to coach. Lucas said only that he was in Cowboys' training camp to learn from coach Bill Parcells.

E-mail brdavis@dallasnews.com
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2003, 10:04 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default John Lucas to Baylor??

Not that it won't happen, but a group of parents here at Baylor started this by asking him if he would consider it. Lucas has no NCAA experience and a list of candidates is forming in the news from several other schools. We could do worse than Lucas though IMHO. I met the guy at a game last year and he is just a down to earth kind of guy. I was impressed by him.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote