Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-15-2003, 10:12 AM   #1
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default 8/15 ESPN Insider - Mailbag Day

Mailbag: Can the Bulls run to the playoffs?
By Chad Ford
NBA Insider
Send an Email to Chad Ford Friday, August 15
Updated: August 15
10:28 AM ET

Another slow news day in the NBA means that it's time to blow the dust off the Insider mailbag and deal with a series of ranting and raving fans who were just more than a little upset that we placed their team in NBA Loserville on Thursday.

Enjoy.

Q: I'm struggling to figure out how veteran teams like the Hawks and Knicks made your "worst" list, but the Bulls didn't? Their only significant offseason signing was Scottie "Crypt Keeper" Pippen. I think that the loss of Jay Williams for the season makes that, at best, a draw. Do you really see Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler and Jamal Crawford improving THAT much? -- Steven Anderson, New York

Eddy Curry
Forward-Center
Chicago Bulls

2002-2003 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
81 10.5 4.4 0.5 .585 .624

FORD: Yes. The Bulls played .500 ball over the last 14 games of the season and they did it, in large part, because of the contributions of Curry, Crawford and Chandler. Crawford averaged 16 ppg and six apg as a starter last season. In April he averaged 23 ppg and 6.5 apg. The key for Crawford was getting consistent minutes without having to compete with Williams for playing time. I think he's ready to bust out this year. Curry showed a similar breakthrough at the end of the season. His average for April was 20.3 ppg and 6.5 rpg. In March it was 17.4 ppg and 6.7 rpg. All the while he was shooting over 60 percent from the field for the last two months of the season. Chandler's improvements were more modest. He upped his averages to 12.6 ppg, 9.4 rpg and 2.2 bpg in February, and in March his numbers were 11 ppg, 10 rpg and 1.7 bpg.

Put those three together with Jalen Rose, Donyell Marshall, Pippen and newcomer Kirk Hinrich and I think you have a team that could win between 40-45 games next season and break a five-season playoff drought.

Q: Let's talk in February when the Bucks are battling for a playoff spot. You obviously haven't watched them play much. They were the second-best team in the East at the end of the season. They let the over-the-hill mitten walk and traded a selfish point guard. They received a player whom many feel is an underachiever, but is still a major upgrade over Anthony Mason at PF. They drafted a pass-first, lightning-quick PG who will fit in perfectly and have a great tutor in our new coach. They have many young players who are showing great development and signed a couple of nice FA veterans. Keep up the informative columns in regards to trades, etc., but please watch a Bucks game this season. They'll be 42-40 again and the seventh seed. They'll get nothing but better from there! -- Mike Fueger, Madison, Wisc.

FORD: Not sure where you misplaced your medication Mike, but you need to have a friend or two help you find it before it's too late. Best-case scenario for the Bucks has them winning between 30-35 games. Worst-case scenario has them at 15. I believe 19 to 23 wins is probably accurate.

A couple of problems with your analysis. Gary Payton is still the second-best point guard in the NBA despite his age. You replace him with an undersized rookie and you're going to lose a step or two. Period.

Desmond Mason
Guard-Forward
Milwaukee Bucks

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
80 14.3 6.5 2.0 .449 .749

I like Desmond Mason a lot, but it will be tough for the Bucks to stick him in the backcourt with Ford. Why? Because neither player can shoot. We know about Ford's shooting woes. Mason shot under 30 percent from the three for the third straight year. Do you really bench the guy who was second in the league in 3-point field goal percentage for Mason? No. The big guys on the Bucks are going to struggle as it is. Without a consistent perimeter threat to keep the zone defense from collapsing, they're really screwed.

Nice free-agent veterans? Are we talking about Brian Skinner, Erick Strickland and Daniel Santiago? Again, Mike, can't stress the medication thing enough.

As for Joe Smith being a "major upgrade" over anyone, obviously you haven't watched a T-Wolves game recently. While I agree with you that the Bucks have several nice young players (Ford, Redd, Mason, Marcus Haislip and Dan Gadzuric) it will take a few years for the team to mature. Bottom line. If new Bucks GM Larry Harris really believed that this team had a shot at the playoffs, don't you think he would've kept George Karl and made a run at it?

Q: The Knicks are NOT going to win only 28 games. Did you even see them play last year? They were one of the better teams in the East once Latrell Sprewell returned. And Keith Van Horn fits the team better than Spree. Not to mention Sweetney and Lampe. And don't forget Frank Williams. In today's NBA jump-shooting matters. Veterans also matter. The Knicks have Allan Houston and Van Horn, two of the sweetest shooting 3-point shooters in the league. They have a center who would make Dallas the favorite to win it all. They have one of the deeper benches in the East. They have two of the more promising rookies in the East. Your claim that they are going to be one of the six worst teams is patently ridiculous. They'll win 40 without McDyess, god help you if he plays! -- Sean Ford, New York

Keith Van Horn
Forward
New York Knicks

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
74 15.9 7.1 1.3 .482 .804

FORD: First of all, let me answer a question that was asked nearly 100 times on Thursday. Yes, I saw your team play last year. The problem, for both you and I, is that I haven't seen them play this year. Adding Van Horn, a player two teams were desperate to dump the last two summers, doesn't strike me as an upgrade over Sprewell. First, Van Horn is a below-average defender, especially when he's asked to guard quicker small forwards. Two, he doesn't have Spree's ability to slash to the basket. Three, he's not a better perimeter shooter than Spree. I'd call it a wash. Last year Spree shot 37.2 percent from behind the arc. Van Horn shot 36.9 percent. Finally, chemistry means a lot. Spree brought a fire to the team that Van Horn notoriously lacks. How will the Knicks respond? Twenty-eight wins was my best guess.

However, the Knicks could compete for a playoff spot if two things happen. One, Antonio McDyess returns to all-star form and stays healthy all season. Having McDyess draw double teams in the paint will really open up things for Van Horn and Houston on the perimeter. Right now, however, that's a pretty big if. McDyess' rehab has taken longer than expected. That can't be a good sign. The other way the Knicks make the playoffs? Rookies Michael Sweetney and Maciej Lampe become contributors. Sweetney would give the Knicks a nice low-post scoring option, albeit an undersized one. I think Lampe will eventually turn into a high post five. That will be huge for the Knicks down the road. He was playing great during the Rocky Mountain Revue, but let's give the kid some space. He's just 18 years old. He's going to need some time.

Q: Where's Toronto on your list of losers? You really think they can win more than 30 games? -- Eric Olson, Sacramento

FORD: They're a hard team to get a read on. Obviously health is a major issue. If Vince Carter and Antonio Davis stay healthy all year, they'll contend for a playoff spot. I like the addition of Chris Bosh. He's still young and slender, but I think the kid will play a role for them this year. The supporting cast of Alvin and Jerome Williams, Mo Peterson, Lamond Murray and Michael Bradley isn't the best in the East, but they have enough talent to win between 35-40 games this year if they stay healthy. If Vince goes down again? It will be more like 25 wins.

Q: How can the Cavaliers be out of the top five? They only added LeBron James this year, not nearly enough for that type of consideration. They tied the Nuggets for last place last year and the Nuggets added Carmelo Anthony and Andre Miller as marquee players. Most critics agree Anthony will have a better rookie year than James and Miller just increases the Nuggets' improvement over the Cavaliers. So how can Cleveland jump out of the top five with only James coming in as a rookie? I don't think he is going to be that good right away. -- Jeff Diel, Ft. Collins, Col.

Darius Miles
Guard-Forward
Cleveland Cavaliers

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
67 9.2 5.4 2.6 .410 .594

FORD: The difference is that the Nuggets play in the West and the Cavs play in the East. If the Nuggets played in the East, I'd put them in on par with the Cavs. If the Cavs played in the West, they would've made the list. A lot of fans were surprised that I didn't have the Cavs among my worst seven teams. I left them out for several reasons.

I have enormous respect for head coach Paul Silas. I think he's the perfect coach to get this team on the same page. He's firm, but also develops wonderful relationships with his players. Guys want to play for him.

I think the culture of losing in Cleveland has also shifted. Last year, management sent a signal to the players that they didn't mind losing -- that landing LeBron was the best-case scenario for the season. This year, everyone is serious about winning. The Cavs are still young and inexperienced, but they have a ton of talented, young athletes, one of the top three centers in the East and a pretty decent bench.

The key to the season will be the development of James and Darius Miles. If James lives up to expectations, his presence on the court will open up the game for everyone else. Miles is the other key. He has an enormous amount of untapped talent. He seems determined this summer to find it. He's been working out with Tim Grover all summer and has showed signs at the summer league that his jump shot is coming around. If James and Miles deliver, Cavs fans will finally have something to cheer about in Cleveland.

Bottom line, I think the Cavs will be respectable. That doesn't mean they'll be a playoff team. But a 30-35 win season isn't out of the question for them.

Q: You're obsession with Clippers is getting dangerous, Chad. Remember last year when you picked them to be an eighth seed in the West? This year it seems like your back on the bandwagon, even though the team lost its starting center and point guard and replaced them with no one. With Lamar Odom, Elton Brand and Corey Maggette all pouting about being matched in L.A., why should anyone with a brain believe that the Clippers won't end up where they always do -- in the NBA gutter? -- John Stevens, Los Angeles

Marko Jaric
Guard-Forward
Los Angeles Clippers

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
66 7.4 2.4 2.9 .401 .752

FORD: Maybe I need my medication. I do believe in addition by subtraction and I think the Clippers did the right thing this summer by matching Brand and Maggette and letting Andre Miller and Michael Olowokandi go. I also think they'll be making the right call if they match Odom.

Miller struggled to find his place on the team once Odom returned from his injury last season. Odom is so good with the ball in his hands, his presence on the floor meant that Miller spent too much time just standing around. I'm a big fan of Marko Jaric and think he'll be a better fit. Jaric can play three positions and doesn't have to have the ball in his hands to be effective. He's a much better defender than Miller and has the passion and aggression that the Clips have sorely lacked in the past.

Losing Olowokandi is a bigger blow just because the Clips don't really have anyone who can fill in. Of course, when you factor in that Olowokandi played just 36 games last year and shot only 42 percent from the field when he was on the floor, I don't think his loss is as big as people have made it out to be. Second-year big man Melvin Ely, rookie Chris Kaman and Olden Polynice will have to fill the void. The Clips will be vulnerable in the middle, but most teams are in the same predicament.

Meanwhile, the offense will now center on Brand down low and Odom and Maggette on the perimeter. Odom will be better this year without Miller on the court. If his head is in the right place (and who knows if the Clips match) he's a triple double threat every night. Maggette was the one Clipper who actually improved his game last year. After watching him work out this summer, he appears poised to have a breakout year.

Second-year forward Chris Wilcox also has shown signs of life this summer and Keyon Dooling and Quentin Richardson form a pretty nice backcourt bench. Add new head coach Mike Dunleavy to the mix, take away the uncertainty about impending contracts and the Clippers should be able to refocus and get back to where they were during the 2001-02 season. I wouldn't go so far as to claim they are a playoff team, but I think 35-40 wins isn't out of the question in L.A. this year if they keep Odom.

Around the League

With the Kenyon Martin contract extension looking doubtful at the moment, we have to ask again . . . will anyone from the draft class of 2000 get a rookie extension this fall? Things aren't looking good at the moment for several other players in the class.

Jamal Crawford
Point Guard
Chicago Bulls

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
80 10.7 2.3 4.2 .413 .806

Bulls GM Jim Paxson told Jamal Crawford that he may pass on giving the 6-foot-6 point guard an early extension. "All I expressed to Jamal is that whatever happens in this process, if something doesn't work out this year, it doesn't mean that we don't want him back," Paxson told the Chicago Sun Times. "I'm still kind of in a patient mode with the whole process, and we don't necessarily feel something has to get done before the season. We're going to try to talk again some time in September."

Paxson said that he wants to see how his team plays this year before he starts writing big checks. Marcus Fizer is also due for an extension and next summer Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry are eligible.

"I want all of our guys to know what really matters is how many games we win," Paxson said. "That determines how we'll proceed."

Mike Miller is hearing a similar refrain in Memphis from Jerry West. While West says he wants to sign Miller to a long-term deal, he's in no hurry to get it done now.

"I've told Arn Tellem (Miller's agent) that I don't want to address that until we get our (offseason) business done," West told the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

The same seems to hold true for Memphis' other fourth-year player, Stromile Swift.

The Hornets may be the closest to getting something done. They've begun contract talks with Jamaal Magloire and report that things are moving in a positive direction.

The Seattle Times is reporting that trade rumors are heating up involving the Sonics and one of their four centers: Jerome James, Calvin Booth, Vitaly Potapenko and restricted free agent Predrag Drobnjak. According to the report, both the Grizzlies and Blazers are interested. The Sonics are trying to package Drobnjak along with one of their other centers in a sign-and-trade. The Grizzlies may be the most attractive trading partner. They have two players, Wesley Person and Brevin Knight, with contracts that expire next year. If the Sonics could get Potapenko off their books (for example) the team could go under the cap next summer.

The Blazers waived Arvydas Sabonis on Thursday, taking away their most attractive trade bait. The Blazers do have Rasheed Wallace and Jeff McInnis (contract not guaranteed for 2004) who could be salary-cutting trade bait.

The Times is also reporting that the Sonics are considering eating the last year of Joe Forte's contract.

Dion Glover volunteered to scrimmage against Nuggets players at the Pepsi Center in hopes of landing a free-agent contract with the Nuggets.

"He's played hard," Nuggets coach Jeff Bzdelik told the Rocky Mountain News. "He's played well. Dion plays with great effort. He's an excellent defender. He attacks the rim well. . . Dion volunteered to come in, and he's left us with a favorable impression."

Glover hopes the unusual move will lead to an offer.

"They're going to talk over the next few days with my agent (Brian Dyke) and, hopefully, it will happen," said Glover. "(The workouts have) been going real well."