Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-15-2003, 02:23 PM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Dallas High School Student to sign with Manchester United

Even though I am no soccer fan and this sucks for SMU, this is still pretty cool.

Quote:
SMU recruit, Jesuit grad, to sign with Manchester United
BY PHIL STEPHENS Contributing Writer

Photography: Phil Stephens

Photos: top left Cooper has held his own on every level; a worldwide stage awaits.
bottom right: Bend it like Cooper: Schoolboy soccer star goes international.

Imagine you’re a high school baseball player. Your success on the field inspired the coach of a top college program to offer you a scholarship.

Then, just days before you are to join one of the nation’s premier college teams, George Steinbrenner calls with a contract offer from the New York Yankees.

That’s the baseball version of what happened to Kenny Cooper, the former Jesuit soccer star who signed a national letter-of-intent to play for SMU. Cooper was hailed as a key cog in what is viewed as one of the best — if not the best — recruiting classes in the nation. But while the Mustangs prepare for another season as one of the country’s best teams, Cooper won’t be with them.

Instead, he has agreed in principle to a three-year contract to join Manchester United of the English Premier League. (Based on performance, one source said, the contract could be worth as much as $1 million. Cooper’s father, Kenny Cooper Sr., would confirm only that it was a “substantial” offer.)

Manchester United’s roster is littered with the names of international stars, and is considered by some to be the world’s most popular franchise in any sport, even exceeding the Yankees in baseball and the Los Angeles Lakers in basketball.

Cooper had committed to putting his education first and SMU had been his first choice as a college, but he said the offer sheet from Manchester United could not be ignored. He had considered at least four offers from other professional teams before the Manchester United offer.

“This has not been an easy decision,” Cooper said. “But it has always been my dream to play professionally. It was unbelievable to get an offer from Manchester United.”

Cooper, an athletic, 6-foot-3-inch striker who signed a national letter-of-intent to play for the Mustangs, was expected to be a huge difference maker for the Mustangs in what would have been his freshman season. But he decided to forego the scholarship Monday, even though he had not yet signed an agreement with Manchester United.

The quick turn of events has left SMU coach Schellas Hyndman having to alter his plans for the 2003 season.

“This was a big surprise for us,” Hyndman said Monday. “Obviously, Kenny is excited about this opportunity, but he also had a commitment to come to SMU. For us, it changes everything, just two days before we start practice. But the real loss is not just to our team for this coming season. We could have signed two more impact players if we had known about this earlier. There were a number of players that wanted to come here that won’t be here now. All of the players we would have wanted have now gone to other schools. This money will now be used to further reward players we already have on the team.”

Hyndman was not celebrating Cooper’s big break with Manchester United.

“Right now, it is a distraction for our players, but I have told them to look past it,” Hyndman said. “We still have a great recruiting class and will have a heck of a team this fall.”

SMU is ranked No. 6 nationally in a pre-season National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) poll. .

If Cooper does not come to contract terms with Manchester United, the door would still be open for him to play for the Mustangs. But it would have to be under a different scholarship arrangement, Hyndman said.

Even without the offer from Manchester United, Cooper’s start with SMU would have been delayed because the U.S. Under-20 National Team coach Thomas Rongen had just asked him to pack his bags and come to Spain and play for the team in a tournament.

However, Cooper has closed the door to that opportunity as well, because of the offer from Manchester United.

Cooper’s chance with Manchester United began July 10. During a three-week training stint with the club, Cooper drew significant attention.

The opportunity was arranged through former Dallas Tornado players such as Neil Cohen and Mike Renshaw, who have been in frequent contact with another former Dallas Tornado player Jimmy Ryan, who is now football director — or head of player development — for the team.

Cohen said Cooper’s talent has been underrated in the U.S.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2003, 02:53 PM   #2
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Dallas High School Student to sign with Manchester United

Kenny Cooper is freaking awesome at soccer. I have played with him for years and have no doubt he will do very good at Man U.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 03:24 PM   #3
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

Schellas is piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssed. I too have played with/against him for quite some time and I know he will crack the first squad soon. No doubt hes immensly talented and will do well.
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:31 AM   #4
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the news. I like this. I like this a whole lot.