Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-16-2003, 09:01 AM   #1
Stew3636

Stew3636 is on a distinguished road
Default Anyony else want to give Danny Fortson a chance

I've seen a lot of post talking about all DF is going to cause are problems. Personally, I think he could be productive here. A guy cant have a 16 rb 16 pt, and then a 12 rb 16 point season without a little bit of talent or drive. I think DF will be happy with the mavs organization. A winning organizaton with a players coach and players owner. I can't wait to see what he can offer.
Stew3636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2003, 09:16 AM   #2
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default RE: Anyony else want to give Danny Fortson a chance

personally i think hes part of a bigger trade with mills.

but if he does stick around, lets give him a chance. a lot of the things that were being said about him in GS are the same things that were said about NVE.

most players rejoice and respond positively after being moved from a cellar dwellar to a contending team. we shall see.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 09:20 AM   #3
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Stew3636
I've seen a lot of post talking about all DF is going to cause are problems. Personally, I think he could be productive here. A guy cant have a 16 rb 16 pt, and then a 12 rb 16 point season without a little bit of talent or drive. I think DF will be happy with the mavs organization. A winning organizaton with a players coach and players owner. I can't wait to see what he can offer.
Kinda looks like Ben Wallace. I mean with the cornrows and everything. I didn't realize he lead the league in rebounding in 2001 season. Looks like this guy is a rebounding machine if he's healthy. My question is where do you play him? As a sub for Dirk or Raef? When does Najera come in? I suppose Bradley subs Raef. Fortson subs Dirk and Najera replaces Jamison? Is that a correct sub pattern?
Old 08-16-2003, 09:20 AM   #4
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange

but if he does stick around, lets give him a chance. a lot of the things that were being said about him in GS are the same things that were said about NVE.

most players rejoice and respond positively after being moved from a cellar dwellar to a contending team. we shall see.

I thought you couldn't package Mills and Fortson in a trade?
Old 08-16-2003, 09:25 AM   #5
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange

I thought you couldn't package Mills and Fortson in a trade?
I think you can only do a 1 for 1 trade for the first 60 days. After 60 days they can be included in other packages. Although you are not going to be able to move Fortson. GS has been trying to move him for awhile. He is a lot better player than Esch, but has a terrible contract.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 09:31 AM   #6
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

relative to their abilities..

i think fortson and esch's contracts are equally bad.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 09:36 AM   #7
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Fortson is an excellent rebounder,that was never an issue,but dont mistake rebounds for defense,the man is slow and heavy,and dare i say worse on defense than most of our roster.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 09:38 AM   #8
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

I am hereby officially and unequivocally declaring that I'm giving DF a chance

(...unless they trade him before the season starts - then I'll think he sucks...)
Old 08-16-2003, 09:49 AM   #9
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

If we can package,i found us a nice one.

Golden State trades: SF Chris Mills (4.8 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1.1 apg in 12.5 minutes)
PF Danny Fortson (3.5 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 13.1 minutes)
Golden State receives: PF Chris Crawford (4.8 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 0.2 apg in 7.6 minutes)
C Theo Ratliff (8.7 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 0.9 apg in 31.1 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +5.2 ppg, +2.2 rpg, and -0.7 apg.

Atlanta trades: PF Chris Crawford (4.8 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 0.2 apg in 7.6 minutes)
C Theo Ratliff (8.7 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 0.9 apg in 31.1 minutes)
Atlanta receives: SF Chris Mills (4.8 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1.1 apg in 21 games)
PF Danny Fortson (3.5 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 17 games)
Change in team outlook: -5.2 ppg, -2.2 rpg, and +0.7 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 10:14 AM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sold on Fortson. I'm too familiar with GS and have watched too many games to believe that he'll change overnight simply cause he's going to a contender.

I see him as the new Raef. All year long in Nellie's dog house.

I would love to be wrong and see him get back to his rebounding ways, but behind Dirk/Najera/Raef/Bradley, I just don't see it happening. Especially if we're to add another player like Stepania or trade for another backup center.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:20 AM   #11
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

MFF-
I NEVER watched GS...so, I'm a little lost. Were his problems on or off court issues?
Old 08-16-2003, 10:33 AM   #12
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

On the court.

He thought he should be starting ahead of Murphy. What does that tell you right there? He and Mussleman got into it more than once when he was pulled from a game or not let in when he wanted. He had a major attitude about his minutes.

I've seen him get into it with the other players. And I know you've seen players yell at each other, I don't know how to explain this is different.

I've attended games where the fans booed him when entering the game and cheered when he was pulled. Whether he was productive or not.

He's just a mouthy little thing when he doesn't get his way.

Some compare him with NVE. At least NVE was cool about backing Nash and he could play in the Mavs style. I don't see Fortson running and gunning with the Mavs or being happy about backing Dirk.

I don't see what he'll bring that Najera doesn't. He can't defend, and if he can't get back to rebounding like he did, what good is he here? I really see him in Nellie's doghouse year long.

I hope I'm wrong and that he can turn it around, but I'm not buying it until he shows me differently.

Old 08-16-2003, 10:36 AM   #13
XERXES
Diamond Member

I see. Thanks for the insight.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:44 AM   #14
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

How many potential lockerroom cancers have been brought in here? Rodman; Vernon Maxwell; NVE. Somehow, none of them had a negative impact on this team. If he isn't moved, I think you have to at least take some comfort in that.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 10:45 AM   #15
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

NP...your Fortson and Mills for Ratliff trade was being discussed heavily on the ESPN boards last night....you're in good company on that idea...but it might take a little less to get Ratliff. Atalanta is in "salary dump" mode...and remember, the Hawks just traded the "Big Dog" for Terrell Brandon's expiring salary slot. like MFF, I suspect that there be another move in the works.

And we've still have our MLE.

Excellent post by MFF on Fortson...she and I watch a lot of GS games (her locally and me on satellite) and have become fans of the team that now no longer exists with Gilbert and Antawn gone. Her points about Fortson are right on...I'll just add this...the problems with Fortson began BEFORE murphy came along in the draft...he's a very moody and strange guy ...even while putting up a double double average. Question...why do you displace a double-double guy for a rookie from ND ? It only makes sense if you understand that Fortson has always been a malcontent.

That's why all of my posts about him have been predicated on the following statement:

If Fortson can be de-funked.....

I won't be surprised if he and Mills are traded...and I won't be surprised if they stay (at least for a year in Mills' case)....but Fortson has to change his brain locked attitude in order to contribute.

I'm still looking at this as primarily a NVE for Jamison and Welsch trade.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:31 AM   #16
bigdaddy

bigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these parts

two years ago fortson averaged 16 rebounds a game..the year after 11 rebounds a game

if he is heathly..WOW..we have ourselfs a rebounding machine..something we needed
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 10:28 PM   #17
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Danny Fortson is an ofensive rebounding monster on all of the NBA2K* Sega Sports games. A real sleeper pick if you are doing the fantasy draft option. (insert winking icon here)
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 11:00 PM   #18
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: bigdaddy
two years ago fortson averaged 16 rebounds a game..the year after 11 rebounds a game

if he is heathly..WOW..we have ourselfs a rebounding machine..something we needed
I posted it yesterday but here it is again. The year that Fortson averaged 16 rebounds he ONLY played 6 games for the year.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 12:03 AM   #19
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

I've followed Fortson since his last year in Boston. A superinsightfull poster dropped his name as an answer to the Lakers PF problem. Everyone was like Danny who? We went back and forth about Forston being too short to hang in the west. Later he was signed to the Warriors and continued to be a rebounding machine. He's not much of a defender but a he was a solid guy. Then last year he began having emotional/mental problems and sat out a few games. After that he was not the same player and he gained alot of weight.

He's damaged goods but a change of scenery might do him good. I don't think the Mavs are the right team for him because they play too much of an uptempo game. He's a better fit for a team the runs the half court set like the Lakers or Spurs.

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 11:01 AM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

wayoutwest, you might be right. a change in scenery could be great for fortson. and i'm sure that he'll come in here without the slightest thought of starting on this team.

It almost appears that he was screwed up in the head all of last season... it could have something to do with some of his off the court problems...most notably, the death of his father (if i'm remembering correctly)

we'll see. I'm more than willing to give fortson every opportunity in the world to earn PT for the mavs. He can do something that not many on the team can.. he can rebound at an NBA level. currently, dirk and shawn are the only two players on the team that put up good rebounding numbers for the amount of minutes they play
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 05:06 PM   #21
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I am interested in seeing what Fortson could do but I won't shed a tear if he is moved quickly. I think he could be the worst kind of cancer if things don't go the way he wants.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 05:19 PM   #22
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

I posted this on another thread...I've gotten a lot of PM's about him...I guess since MFF and I WERE GS fans and have watched them A LOT over the past few years.

Here's the real Fortson:
....................g...gs
97-98 DEN 80 23
98-99 DEN 50 38
99-00 BOS 55 5
00-01 GSW 6 6
01-02 GSW 77 76
02-03 GSW 17 0

He's VERY injury prone, gotten traded a lot, and outside of his rookie year and the 01-02 season with GS...has been on the court very little. Just look at his last 4 years....outside of the 01-02 season...in the 3 other years...he's played an average of 26 games per year...and started an average of 4 times per year on some pretty needy teams.

In addition to the injuries and trades, he bitched, whined and sulked VERY loudly when TMurphy came to GS... and, instead of responding to the challenge and accepting a role as a tough rebounding bacup PF...he gained 30 lbs and just flat quit trying. And got injured ....AGAIN.

If anyone thinks that he's played heavy court time in consecutive seasons...just take a look.

I'm hoping that he can be "jumpstarted" with the Mavs....but I'm not betting one cent on it.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:54 PM   #23
aidzhsiah

aidzhsiah is on a distinguished road

Really, Fortson was in Musselman's doghouse BAD last year. He was healthy enough to play but just didn't get off the bench.

When he plays the guy is a crazy boarder and a physical presence. Hey at the very least, he's got 20 lbs on Raef ... LOL....
aidzhsiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:17 AM   #24
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Anyone else want to give Danny Fortson a chance

Yeah, I do. I'm not worried that he got into it with Musselman at all. Or that he thought he should be starting over Murphy, because he should have been starting over Murphy at the time...if they had wanted to play well. I like Troy, I think he's a real hard worker, and has some talent, but I was in the Bay reading the papers and watching the games, and from what I could tell, this is what was going on:

Antawn was pissed that he got moved to the 3 the year before Mike D came. AJ wanted to play in the post like Dirk finley wants to take jumpshots. He didn't want any part of the perimeter. So he was moaning. Around this same time, Marc Jackson had just came off his rookie of the year campaign, but wanted to leave GS b/c they sucked, and they weren't willing to get better. Dave Cowens' tenure I remember well. He couldn't get his team to play for him. He started the whole mess of putting AJ on the perimeter. Part of it had to do with Fortson wanting to play in the post as well. He didn't care what position they said he was playing, as long as he was allowed to get in the post. GS didn't have much choice. The man was rebounding the ball like crazy, broke his foot, which he had had problems with in Boston, and ended up with 16 rebounds/game for hardly any games. So GS needed to put Fortson in there in the post. But they couldn't put him at C, because they had Foyle and Dampier and Jackson, and Fortson was a bit short for C. though he thought he'd be fine there. But of course, Jamison had to be on the court, he had just been signed for a gillion dollars, AND, and this is very important in it's own right, he WANTED to be a warrior. Not many of his teammates could say that with a straight face. This was before Vince got injured and ppl were saying that the warriors actually did do the right thing by taking AJ instead of VC. But why couldn't the warriors put Foyle, Dampier or Jackson at C, Fortson at PF and AJ at SF? That's what they tried doing, but Fortson and AJ were in disagreement with the coaches, because AJ thought he should be the PF, not the SF, and Fortson thought he should start. And they were both right.
Then, they draft Dunleavy. AJ is publicly in favor of this move. Why? Because Mike's a 3. He's no tweener. He's not playing the 2, and he's not playing the 4, there's one spot for him, the 3. And because Jamison has an idea about how the Warriors work, he feels that Mike coming in will force the new coach Musselman to start Mike at the 3, and him at the 4. He was right, partially. The year before Murphy had shown flashes of being a good player at the 4 spot. Add to that, he had spent some quality time with his teammate Richardson and a bunch of other big dudes at the Pete Newell big man camp. The guy had a proven work ethic. He didn't bicker and moan, he just came in, did his job, did it well for the expectations, and went home. Before he had come in as a rookie, he had lifted and worked out extremely hard, in fact, turns out, he had worked out too hard for himself, because he lost steam near the end of the year. So, the summer him and JRich went to Hawaii, he told the papers that he was cutting back on the real hard work, and focusing more on skill drills, and pacing. He was still working harder or as hard as any other Warrior (that was known to the public), but he was pacing himself better, or he thought he was.

So anyway, here we have Troy, who is Musselman's kind of guy, and Musselman decides that Troy is starting at the 4. I thought, just as Jamison had, that AJ would be the starting 4, Danny would back him up, and then Troy, with Troy getting some minutes at center. Nope. And Fortson made it easy for them. He saw what was coming, he was getting pushed out by guys that were younger and less proven or more proven, and more skilled in more areas. And he was furious. He knew that he was a huge reason that the warriors led the league in rebounding, and he was right. He moaned and made a scene, and decided not to come to training camp, or to come late, I'm forgetting. Mussellman was not going to have that. So Fortson got benched. AJ was still angry that he was at the 3 and not the 4, but he seems to have adjusted...I don't know, I haven't followed them in a year.

So why am I willing to give Danny a chance? A few reasons: he was upset because he was getting pushed out by both Jamison, and then Murphy, (all from the coaches and the suits) when he contributed more to the final score than they did. coaches and mgmt saw more potential in the other guys, and I can't say I blame them, b/c most of the fans saw it too. But Danny was a darn good rebounder, and, as a Mavs fan, I'm conditioned to think rebounding wins championships. I don't begrudge him because he couldn't see eye to eye with the guys in charge. He had a good argument, but, as the employee, he lost, and not being able to be civil about it certainly did not help him. As a Mav, he certainly is not the best PF on the team. He's probably still behind Jamison, though it seems that the mavs will be playing AJ at the 3 mostly. (He must have really developed a perimeter game and stopped moping, because there was a very good reason he thought he should be in the post: he was good there, and he wasn't good on the perimeter. Dirk Nowitzski he is not- heck, he's not Raef even.) At this point, I think he wants to play, and I think he understands that he knows he can help this team. However, I think that he knows that he's got to wait in line. It wasn't this clear in Oakland. However, I'm not opposed to sticking him at the 4 and Dirk at the 5, as Danny will be able to muscle his way around the post, protecting Dirk more.

Another reason: he is what Najera is touted to be a lot of the times. I don't think he's going to dive on the court or take many charges, at least not at first, but, unlike Eduardo, he'll rebound extremely respectfully for his position. I like Ed as much as the next guy, I just don't like him out there for more than 20 mpg. Fortson has at least one problem that Ed did, or still has, he can't finish, at all. He's not good at finishing, but he thinks he can. I can live with Danny coming in for 30 mpg at the PF spot. He should snag Raef's minutes right up, and Najera's. But he'll have to prove that he can behave first.

The man can flat out rebound the ball. He's not going to block any shots, he's not going to score a lot of points, he's not going to get in anybody's head or play excellent post defense, what he is going to do is snag the ball off the glass. He will probably first try outlet passes, and he'll either have to learn that, or not do it, because he isn't a passer. He's going to have to hand it off to someone else, quickly, and let them start the fast break. But he will clean the glass. You know when Raef sometimes blocks a shot, and somehow, the ball STILL winds up in the other guy's hands, and then in their goal? Yeah, that won't happen as much with fortson in there. Raef or Bradley or Dirk will block or deflect the shot, and Danny will vacuum the ball up.

This is why I'm not disappointed Danny is coming over and why I'm willing to give the guy a chance. If my diatribe above looks like I was talking in circles, it's because I was, to an extent. That's how the Warriors run their ship, in circles, and that was the way it has to be described. I don't think Danny is a savior here, far from it, the core is going to get us to the promised land, but Danny will help to erase that rebounding problem we have.

Old 08-18-2003, 08:30 AM   #25
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Fortson is a one dimensional bum. He is below average at everything besides rebounding. He gives us nothing in terms of interior defense or low post presence. He doesn't run the court well, he doesn't defend well. I can't imagine he'll play 30 mpg as Jerimiah claims. More likely is that he'll spend the year on IR reserve. The best scenario is that he beats out Najera for 10 mpg on selected nights. Jamison, Dirk, and Raef will swallow up virtually every last frontcourt minute. There is no room for a whiney brat who does nothing but rebound. From simply a talent standpoint, Fortson is a non-contributor in this system. His attitude makes him a completely worthless player here.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:41 AM   #26
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Fortson is a one dimensional bum. He is below average at everything besides rebounding. He gives us nothing in terms of interior defense or low post presence. He doesn't run the court well, he doesn't defend well. I can't imagine he'll play 30 mpg as Jerimiah claims. More likely is that he'll spend the year on IR reserve. The best scenario is that he beats out Najera for 10 mpg on selected nights. Jamison, Dirk, and Raef will swallow up virtually every last frontcourt minute. There is no room for a whiney brat who does nothing but rebound. From simply a talent standpoint, Fortson is a non-contributor in this system. His attitude makes him a completely worthless player here.
Get your facts straight fella, I didn't claim that Fortson would play 30 mpg. Not once. I said I could live with it. And I could see him beating out Najera for his minutes and beating out Raef for some of his minutes, as long as he behaves.
You're correct that he doesn't defend at all, nor does he score in the low post, his presence is felt on the interior by rebounding.
He might spend the year on the IR. I don't know what will happen. And I don't think his best scenario is beating out Najera for 10 mpg on selected nights. Realistically, I could see him averaging 10-15 per night. I'd be much happier with him in there for 30 minutes though, than I would be with Najera in there for 30m.
And sure, he's one dimensional, but the Mavs have certainly had and have one dimensional players on their team before, that happen to contribute. I'm not his cheerleader, but I don't share your skeptical, absolute, view.

In my eyes, the Warriors have a pretty sorry organization at the mgmt. level. They bungle through personnel changes, and player relations. There isn't much good about them in that regard: Musselman and cheap, close seats is about it. I'm not sure how well or how poor Fortson's attitude and play will be if he stays in Dallas to play, or if he will play at all. I know he has a history of a foot injury, and that he handles disagreement with moping and getting nasty - then again, I could say as much for most of the Warriors. Danny's problem was that he didn't have the multiple talents, health, and/or potential as the others. Because of the Warriors ineptitude in player relations, I'll reserve judgment until he actually gets to Dallas.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:13 AM   #27
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Fortson eager to get on court with Mavericks
He's out to prove his reputation as a bad guy is undeserved

09:23 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 19, 2003

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News

Danny Fortson might as well have been a Golden State Warrior season-ticket holder for all the playing time he saw last season.

He appeared in only 17 of 82 games, with 43 DNPs, shorthand in the NBA for did not play. That statistic is a bad thing when you play on a bad team.

So at the Tuesday news conference that introduced him, Antawn Jamison and Jiri Welsch as new members of the Mavericks, Fortson talked about making up for lost playing time.

"I tell you what, I'm really motivated," Fortson said, describing what the past season felt like. "You want to hit somebody, but you can't, watching everybody else. I just might explode the first game, you never know."

If that quote had come from, say, Alonzo Mourning, the instant reaction would have been to recognize a veteran's competitive instincts.

Because it came from Fortson, people are instantly reminded of a reputation that has stuck to Fortson since he was a All-American at Cincinnati.

"I look at it and kind of laugh and chuckle," Fortson said. "It's just the way it is. I'm not a bad person, I don't think so. I don't know where I got that reputation. Maybe college. What can you do? Once it's there, it's pretty much there."

That reputation, along with a large contract, played a role in Fortson joining Jamison, Welsch and Chris Mills in the nine-player trade Monday between the Mavericks and Warriors.

The Mavericks said they aren't worried about Fortson's reputation, which they believe is not deserved. He's had no major brushes with the law. He was suspended last season for the final four games of the regular season after missing a team flight and is an emotional player.

At least in the Mark Cuban ownership-era, the Mavericks have been able to maintain a PG reputation, even taking gambles on players. Christian Laettner was supposedly a pain in the clubhouse, and Nick Van Exel was even worse. Now Van Exel is viewed fondly as he exits for Golden State.

"I would challenge you to find someone who would say Danny Fortson is a bad guy," said Donnie Nelson, the Mavericks' president of basketball operations. "His situation is Nick-like in the sense that he's an emotional, passionate player."

That same emotion also makes Fortson valuable to the Mavericks.

"We're excited about him because our front line is in sore need of someone who can knock people down, set some picks, take a hard foul and do the dirty work," Nelson said. "That's what he is."

At 6-8 and 260 pounds, he's used his bulk to average 17.5 rebounds per 48 minutes since entering the NBA.

Two years ago, Fortson ranked fourth in the league in rebounding.

"Danny possesses some skills in areas where we really need help, and he can be a factor in those areas for us," coach Don Nelson said. "He can be a key to the trade, as far as I'm concerned."

After the 2001-02 season in Golden State, where he averaged 11.2 points and 11.7 rebounds a game, Fortson thought he had carved out his niche.

Then his father died during training camp, and Troy Murphy took advantage of Fortson's absence to win a starting spot.

"When it rains, it pours," Fortson said. "My dad died, and during the training camp I was home for two weeks taking care of my family. I got back and I found out they didn't want me to be around no more. What can you do?"

Mavericks searching for backup for Nash

If the Mavericks were to start the season today, swingman Jiri Welsch would probably be the team's backup point guard behind Steve Nash.
In the next couple of weeks, if not sooner, the Mavericks hope to add a veteran free-agent at that position.

"That's our preference," said Donnie Nelson, president of basketball operations. "That's what we would like to do."

The team is looking at signing a free-agent point guard, with Travis Best, Kenny Anderson and Rod Strickland topping the list. The Mavericks still have all or part of the $4.9 million veteran exception to spend.

E-mail ccarlton@dallasnews.com
Old 08-20-2003, 09:41 AM   #28
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Give Fortson a chance?

Nah, I'd prefer to see him earn it.

Let's face it. He's a bulky 6.6 guy who's listed at 6.8. He has a history of injury, attitude and underperformance. Until he gets out on the floor and shows the ability to put up some decent board numbers, I'm not spending any enthusiasm about him as a part of The Trade.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 12:31 PM   #29
denig

denig is on a distinguished road

Danny Fortson:

JUST THE STATS: 2002-03
Highlights...Led or tied team in rebounds once, assists once and steals once...
10-or-more points twice...10-or-more rebounds once...One double-double (point/rebound)...Eight points at Portland (2/19)...10 points and 11 rebounds vs. L.A. Lakers (12/10)...Eight points, four rebounds and three assists in 21 minutes in 2002-03 debut at New Orleans (11/8)...

Among NBA leaders, ranked 4th in rebounds per game, 3rd in offensive rebounds (3.8 orpg ), T5th in defensive rebounds (7.9 drpg ), T17th in double-doubles (29) and 1st in rebounds per 48 minutes (19.5)...Is the first Golden State player to finish the season ranked in the league’s top-five in rebounding in 16 years -- since Larry Smith finished 5th in 1985-86 with 11.1 rpg..

.Established new career highs in points (864), field goals (309), rebounds (899), offensive rebounds (290), defensive rebounds (609), assists (127), free throw percentage (.795) and minutes (2216)...Led the team in rebounds and free throw percentage for the season...Was one of just eight players in the NBA to average a point/rebound double-double for the season...Four 20-plus rebound games...Made 10-of-15 free throws in the third quarter at Seattle (3/19), matching the franchise record for most attempts in a period held by both Wilt Chamberlin (11/9/61 & 2/13/62) and Rick Barry (12/6/66)...20 points and 20 rebounds at Indiana (3/12).

i don't understand why anyone would not want to give this guy every chance in the world to live up to his potential. He has said and done many excellent things. Before things got really bad at Golden State, Musselman praised his attitude and was amazed by the work ethic he exibited, even though he wasn't getting any minutes.

what good does it do us or him to trash him, before we've seen anything for ourselves?
seems silly to me...

“ If everything we say is going to be scrutinized word by word, with each word having its own independent meaning regardless of context, we all are in trouble. No one can withstand that level of scrutiny. ”
- Mark Cuban
denig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 12:36 PM   #30
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Give Fortson a chance?

Nah, I'd prefer to see him earn it.

Let's face it. He's a bulky 6.6 guy who's listed at 6.8. He has a history of injury, attitude and underperformance. Until he gets out on the floor and shows the ability to put up some decent board numbers, I'm not spending any enthusiasm about him as a part of The Trade.
Great point mavkiki. Fortson will have his chance to EARN playing time. Him and Najara going at it in practice would be fun to watch.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 12:53 PM   #31
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Big Don says:

"We're excited about him because our front line is in sore need of someone who can knock people down, set some picks, take a hard foul and do the dirty work. That's what he is."

Young Architect Donnie says:

"I would challenge you to find someone who would say Danny Fortson is a bad guy," said Donnie Nelson, the Mavericks' president of basketball operations. "His situation is Nick-like in the sense that he's an emotional, passionate player."

Big Don also says:

"Danny possesses some skills in areas where we really need help, and he can be a factor in those areas for us. He can be a key to the trade, as far as I'm concerned."

The Fort says:

"I tell you what, I'm really motivated," Fortson said, describing what the past season felt like. "You want to hit somebody, but you can't, watching everybody else. I just might explode the first game, you never know."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It sure sounds to me like somebody is willing to give Fortson a chance...

In my opinion, anybody trying to denigrate Big Dan Fortson before Don Nelson gives the man a chance to prove himself, are gibbering and clucking into an unforgiving wind...

The Fort possesses the kind of fierce competive bent and powerful rebounding skills that can help transform our bench unit from a sometime liability, into a rebounding and offensive sledgehammer that will drive home the strong scoring leads that our prolific starters build, into our foes unfortunate skulls. A motivated and in-shape Fortson coming off of the bench, is exactly the kind of thing that can help keep a team on ice after they surrender big leads to our starting unit... Do the Lakers mount a 30 point comeback against us in LA if Fortson is patrolling the lane, inhaling rebounds, and ready to put Kobe on his ass the next time that adulterer drives the lane? I say no...

Don Nelson is going to give The Fort a significant opportunity to play next year, and my gut feeling is that Big Dog Fortson is going to seize it in his powerful jaws and not let go...
Old 08-20-2003, 12:57 PM   #32
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Hope he brings his game and a new attitude, Evil...but as I pointed out in the above post...he's had 1 good year in the last 4. Otherwise, he's a guy that's averaged 26 games and 4 starts in the other 3 years...

To me, he's gotta earn it....and I've watched over 50 GS games PER YEAR on satellite for the last few years. Frankly, Denig's post covers one year out of the last 4 and is pretty misleading....just ask MFF who sees GS more than I do.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:05 PM   #33
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

My thinking about Fortson is partially predicated upon my memories of his dominant and physical play in Cincy. I have seen few GS games over the last couple of years, but regional Fox Sports and network affiliates showed an awful lot of Cincy games in Indiana during his college career...

Those memories convince me that dog Fortson can hunt, and I can't imagine that spending a couple of years languishing in the Golden State gutter will have changed that...

He will need to overcome his lack of shooting ability to find a role on the court for the Mavs, but Don Nelson respects the kind of impact he can bring, and I will be disapointed if he doesn't earn himself 15-20 minutes of brutal, enforcing PT coming off of the bench...
Old 08-20-2003, 01:07 PM   #34
denig

Quote:
To me, he's gotta earn it....and I've watched over 50 GS games PER YEAR on satellite for the last few years. Frankly, Denig's post covers one year out of the last 4 and is pretty misleading....just ask MFF who sees GS more than I do.
I copied those stats from the NBa.com If they have the year 2002-2003 wrong and the stats were actually from the previous year, it doesn't reallyalter the case. Then his numbers againt the Lakers and Indy are more impressive, because they were better teams, that year.

But the point is not whether he's earned our confidence or respect or a starting position. The point is with stats like that...he deserves a chance. That was the topic.
“ If everything we say is going to be scrutinized word by word, with each word having its own independent meaning regardless of context, we all are in trouble. No one can withstand that level of scrutiny. ”
- Mark Cuban
Old 08-20-2003, 01:16 PM   #35
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Didn't say that he doesn't deserve a chance...I said he needs to earn it...and I don't look at just one year...I look at more than that...and he's done nothing in the other years....

Have you watched 50 GS games per year, Denig...or just looked up some stats for one year ?

If he comes in and earns it, I have zero problem with that...
Old 08-20-2003, 01:25 PM   #36
denig

Quote:
Didn't say that he doesn't deserve a chance...I said he needs to earn it...and I don't look at just one year...I look at more than that...and he's done nothing in the other years.... Have you watched 50 GS games per year, Denig...or just looked up some stats for one year ? If he comes in and earns it, I have zero problem with that...
no I have not looked at 50 games.
I have read a great deal about Fortson from people who have watched more than 50 games.

But watching games doesn't make one an expert. And it certainly doesn't make one 'right'. In fact I think only watching 50 games could give one a distorted view of the big picture.
- Mark Cuban
Old 08-20-2003, 01:33 PM   #37
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I'm willing to give Fortson the chance to prove himself. But I'm not about to annoit him into the eight man rotation and proclaim him to be the latest Maverick messiah as others on this board. The fact is that he couldn't get off the bench on a terrible, terrible Golden State team. It may be easy to dismiss his lack of productivity to problems with the coach, but Musselman is one of the best the league has right now and he chose to leave Fortson on the bench with the rest of the dregs. There is a good possibility that this is where Fortson belongs. At the very least, Fort needs to prove he deserves playing time... something he's never been able to do once in his entire career. I'm afraid Forton is the Tariq Abdul Wahad of this trade - a guy who's contract was so bad that a team needed to throw in a proven vet and golden nugget prospect simply to get him off the books. And because of his terrible contract, he's going to be here a while... so you can't just forget about him and not invite him to the press conference like you can with Mills. You've got to put on a happy face and say something like .... "well, I guess he COULD become a key. If he improves his attitude, recovers from injury, blah blah blah." I think you'll find the same type of quotes said about Abdul Wahad two years ago that you've heard about Fortson recently. An alert Maverick fan could be able to see through them. But regardless, these questions won't be answered until about midway through the regular season, when Fortson will have either miraculously lost 50 pounts, developed some skills and turned his life around... or returned to his natural habitat sulking and scowling on the end of the bench.

Old 08-20-2003, 01:43 PM   #38
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

An overweight, problem laden, mentally unstable Fortson may have had trouble getting minutes on a borderline 8th seed team that also featured Jamison, Murphy, Dampier, Foyle and the rookie Dunnleavy. But if he is even willing to make an effort, he should have no problem getting minutes on a Maverick team that features such pushover frontcpurt chumps as Bradley and Raef. He may very well look like a savior considering what the mavs usually have to throw out there.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 02:11 PM   #39
madape
Diamond Member

It sounds like someones been drinking the "Fortson is a Western Conference Center" kool-aid. If Fortson gets minutes on this team it won't be at the expense of Shawn and Raef. The man is close to 6'6" tall... no way can he play center. If he gets minutes at all, it will be behind Jamison and Dirk at the four. Not many minutes to be had there to begin with.