Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-02-2003, 09:04 AM   #1
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default Quick question for athletes...

Hey, is it not a good idea to continue lifting weights after basketball season starts. My season for varsity starts beginning of November and my question is...should I stop lifting or is it alright to continue throughout the season?
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2003, 09:10 AM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Quick question for athletes...

Lift year around. People will tell you it will throw off your shot, but it won't. If you can shoot, you'll adjust. Being stronger will help your all around game.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:13 AM   #3
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

My best quality is the 3, so this is why I'm so hesitant to continue lifting.....
Old 10-02-2003, 09:23 AM   #4
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

continue lifting, definitely. that's what our college team did.

but the key is to drop the weight or your reps. do less, but still keep it up. you don't want to tire yourself out lifting weights, but you need to keep it up to keep your muscle tone.

mavsfanatik, when you are lifting now, are you not shooting, too? the best thing to develop my range (and for you, to become evn more consistent on the 3) is to go shoot for a little bit right after you lift. you'll feel like you've never shot worse... but when you play other times (not immediately after lifting), you'll find you have increased range and actually better accuracy. at least it worked for me. if you can learn to shoot when you're tired, you'll shoot even better when you're not tired.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:26 AM   #5
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

Alright, so I'll continue and just ease up a little bit. Thanks for the advice...
Old 10-02-2003, 09:28 AM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

If your worried about it, don't lift on game day. Otherwise, you don't want to lose the work you did in the summer. Getting stronger could eventually improve your range. The ball will feel lighter and should be easier to controll.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:29 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

plus, you can always use the extra explosiveness
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 09:38 AM   #8
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

What Murph said

I am tired of watching you settle for the fade away. Get some handles and take it to the rack. Damnit Finley.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 09:40 AM   #9
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: grbh
What Murph said

I am tired of watching you settle for the fade away. Get some handles and take it to the rack. Damnit Finley.
What are you talking about grbh? Who said anything about Finley??

Old 10-02-2003, 09:47 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

the 18 foot fade-away looks great when it goes in, but you only make the damn shot 35% of the time.

Take the ball to the basket or pass the damn ball.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:49 AM   #11
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I'm kidding mavsfanatik. Just heard some talk about taking it to the bucket, and thought I would chime in about Fin. A very conmmon complaint on this board.

After all you wouldn't want to turn out like him as a player.

Well, maybe so.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 09:56 AM   #12
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

Get to the line Fin, GET TO THE LINE!
Old 10-02-2003, 10:11 AM   #13
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Last edited by Jeremiah; 06-09-2006 at 01:31 PM.
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 10:19 AM   #14
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

what's your sport jeremiah?
Old 10-02-2003, 10:34 AM   #15
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Jeremiah
I don't know for basketball, but for my sport, I lift year round. I lift on game day or the day before as well. The only day is always off limits are the championship tournament days, since that's what all the training is for anyway.

Oh, and during season, I switch to circuit training to maintain and increase strength, explosiveness, and muscle conditioning. Heavy stuff for the off season.
Loaded statement warning!!!!!!!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2003, 10:36 AM   #16
Jeremiah

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Quote:
I don't know for basketball, but for my sport, I lift year round. I lift on game day or the day before as well. The only day is always off limits are the championship tournament days, since that's what all the training is for anyway.

Oh, and during season, I switch to circuit training to maintain and increase strength, explosiveness, and muscle conditioning. Heavy stuff for the off season.

Over my head. What's that mean?
Old 10-02-2003, 10:49 AM   #17
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Quote:

Over my head. What's that mean?
I was playing with you..... a loaded statement is basically when you post about something generically, but never reveal what specifically you are talking about, or leave pieces out that would lead someone to question you on it to fill in the blank spaces left by your original statement. You talked about "your sport" but never said what "your sport" was, which obviously prompted BBL to question it.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:57 AM   #18
Jeremiah

Ahh, I see. I didn't mention it because it's only relevant in that it's a sport and I'm an athlete, but training habits for it might differ drastically for basketball, which was my implied disclaimer. I don't want to lead someone down the wrong path...
Old 10-02-2003, 11:45 AM   #19
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Fanatik, are you a jump shooter? If so, you can work your legs like normal and ease up on the weight for your upper body.
Still do your back and chest like normal, but don't lift alot of weight with your Biceps, Triceps, Deltiods, or forearms if you are concerned about messing with your shot during the season.
The season is no time for an outside shooter to be adjusting their shot. For a post player maybe, but definitely not a perimeter player.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:24 PM   #20
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

Could we still know what your sport is Jeremiah?
Old 10-02-2003, 12:24 PM   #21
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

Old 10-02-2003, 12:24 PM   #22
dallas_esq
Golden Member

Old 10-02-2003, 01:05 PM   #23
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

BTW the arguably best baller of all time, MJ, kept lifting during the season.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:11 PM   #24
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

The Sock works heavily on his entire body during the off season; and on his legs and traps only during basketball season.

He's muscling up for the next Mavs v. mavs game. And he's a 3 also, Fanatik.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:12 PM   #25
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

man, i wish i was in dallas. the sock wouldn't dare come into the paint... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2003, 01:17 PM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

i'm moving from an undersized PF to a shooting guard...but, still live in the paint whether it's via the low post move or via the drive.

Jumpshooting is for wusses
Old 10-02-2003, 07:51 PM   #27
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rod1975
Fanatik, are you a jump shooter? If so, you can work your legs like normal and ease up on the weight for your upper body.
Still do your back and chest like normal, but don't lift alot of weight with your Biceps, Triceps, Deltiods, or forearms if you are concerned about messing with your shot during the season.
The season is no time for an outside shooter to be adjusting their shot. For a post player maybe, but definitely not a perimeter player.
Yes, I am the 3 point shooter of the team. So I keep the same workout on my legs,abs, and benchpress, but ease up on the biceps and everything else??
Old 10-02-2003, 10:20 PM   #28
mavs_afroman

mavs_afroman is on a distinguished road

DO NOT LIFT ON GAME DAY. If you must, make sure that is very light on your upper body. Honesty, I lifted light weights before I've played and bee ok. Otherwise, I would still lift as normal after practice and on off days as long as its something you've been doing during the offseason. BBL was exactly right too. Lifting weights then going just to practice you shot really works. Learning to shoot while your arms are tired makes it so much easier when they're rested.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:29 PM   #29
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Well I think if you do lift weights in the seaon, make it a very small amount with not too many reps...the season is time to of course work on your game, but your speed and endurance.

Before the season though you should be working out heavily, trying to improve your range. In the off season work with more reps, you have more time to work on certain techs. The worst thing you can do is tire yourself out, but the good thing right now to do is, if you want to lift wieghts, eat extra food, and get more sleep, it will help your energy, if your energy is up. There is no reason you shouldnt take full advantage of that.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:36 PM   #30
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

yes. Continue to lift weights. I never do much weight because Im not big into showing muscle, but its always good to keep lifting. Lifting too close to game time though will kill you if you are a jumpshooter like me, but it won't be as bad if you are playing a layup game. Try not to lift to the extent that muscle mass is being damaged badly enough that there will still be significant damage when you play. You want to keep building strength and quickness without adding bulk or wearing yourself down. Playing Basketball is a work out that works out the major muscle groups (for quickness) and the stabilizers

Thats just what Ive read and what I do. Im not too serious about basketball, but I play a couple times a week down at the rec center. Im actually pretty good at D (for someone 5'4") and Im a killer jumpshooter [img]i/expressions/sun.gif[/img]
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 10:44 PM   #31
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
Quote:
Originally posted by: Rod1975
Yes, I am the 3 point shooter of the team. So I keep the same workout on my legs,abs, and benchpress, but ease up on the biceps and everything else??
Yes, and actually, I'd stay away from bench press and do flys for your chest. Its a better workout for your pecs and you can do it by yourself as well.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:07 AM   #32
Jeremiah

Last edited by Jeremiah; 06-09-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:11 AM   #33
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

the key is what Erica said. as everyone knows (and i know i am not going to choose the correct wording here), lifting weights tears down muscle, allowing it to be rebuilt/regenerated stronger. thus, in basketball, if you lift heavy during the season, things that require precision (like shooting) or fast-twitch muscle fibers (like jumping) will be difficult because your muscles are in the rebuilding process. lifting less weight or doing less reps allows your muscles to heal faster.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:41 AM   #34
Jeremiah

Old 10-03-2003, 11:23 AM   #35
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

strength training for "your sport" is quite different than what needs to be done for basketball, seeing as any fatigue can affect your shot.

the lifting we are saying to do is to maintain strength and toning, not to specifically gain more strength or more mass.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:35 AM   #36
Jeremiah