Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-07-2003, 09:40 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What sports did you play in school?..or competitively in some other area?

baseball - age 5-18
football - age 7, 12-18
basketball - age 12-18
track - age 13-18
tennis - age 13-21
cross country - age 17
volleyball - age 12, 18-20
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2003, 10:20 AM   #2
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute
Default What sports did you play in school?..or competitively in some other area?

baseball, 6-15 (played 1B/OF and the occasional 23000 walk per strikeout pitcher)
basketball, 9-16, 21-present [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (1/2/3 competitively, these days all 5 positions depending on the height of the competition!)
football, 12-14 (WR/DB)
track, 12-14 (200, 400, 4x400 relay, long jump, triple jump -- terrible at pretty much all except the 400)
tennis, 14-17 (tennis was the greatest don't-care sport, it was fun back in HS)

somehow murph, i have a difficult time visualizing you running cross country.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 10:31 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

rhylan, one year, they forced baseball players to run cross country...but, i weighed in at about 165 at the time, though
Old 10-07-2003, 11:18 AM   #4
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Old 10-07-2003, 11:45 AM   #5
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What sports did you play in school?..or competitively in some other area?

when I was little: baseball, basketball, soccer
got a little older: baseball, basketball
middle school: baseball (senior league, 1B), basketball, football (football and basketball were with my middle school)
high school: basketball (almost played football, but i didn't want to be a TE in a run-only offense... i was selfish. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]) track (basketball players had to do a track event... i threw the discus)
college: basketball
now: basketball, volleyball, softball (city leagues)

i've played all kinds of intramural sports, but i don't consider that competitive
Old 10-07-2003, 11:56 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

yeah..i still play some football, baseball, and basketball..just not in any leagues currently

in high school, i even ran the 400m dash once. it was kinda a punishment by one of the coaches...well, actually, he just wanted to see me get my ass handed to me. thought it would be funny.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:04 PM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: What sports did you play in school?..or competitively in some other area?

Baseball
Softball
Frontennis
Athletics (3,000 and 5,000 meters)
Chess [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
========

Today, golf, jogging and mountain biking.

Old 10-07-2003, 12:13 PM   #8
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

marching band (anyone else who has will have no problem with me referring to this as a sport)
and my all time favorite sport, channel surfing.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 12:14 PM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

football in school and track one year (shot put)

Now just some hoops
Old 10-07-2003, 12:15 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

was in band for 5 years as well... personally, i always looked at marching band as an insult to why i was in band to begin with.... i was in band to learn music..to play different instruments..not to walk around like a baffoon at half time of football games
Old 10-07-2003, 12:16 PM   #11
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Basketball & Soccer.

I played soccer (at the university-level) for a year in England...

I'd like play chess with chiwas
Old 10-07-2003, 12:20 PM   #12
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

Wow, Murph and I are on the same page about something. I hated it, hated the hot uniform, the stupid music, having to give the illusion of school spirit, and especially all the outside rehearsal time, but it is alot of work and some farely intense competition if you are in a good program. When we placed third in the state my senior year, I couldn't help but get caught up in it a little.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 12:44 PM   #13
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Y'all shoulda gone to Hamilton, 'sall I gotta say. The band there is an insititution - usually around 50% of the students in the HS are in the band. Of course, this is a 2A school - but still, a 2A school with over 100 kids in the band rocks. And we played good music. In the last decade, they've played Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Who, and Ozzy (pre-The Osbournes) to name a few, for marching contest.

And I was a drummer, and we hardly marched. We stood in the back most of the time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So that was a bonus.

And there's no cheesy rah rah band nerd stuff either - just a collected, cool, LOUD-ass band. Or at least it was back in my era.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 12:47 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

the school that i moved from in west texas had an outstanding band program... they always won sweepstakes..well, not always..around 14-15 years in a row or so.
the band director hated marching band but the school board made them compete.. and, they kicked ass.

well, anyways, when i moved up to the metroplex..i moved to a school with a ridiculously horrible band..i wanted no part of marching with those numnuts. anyways, i told my director that i would play in band..and in the concert competition but that i wouldn't be involved with marching band.. i was good enough to get away with that. it didn't really matter, i could have only marched for a couple of years anyways. can't really march AND play football on friday nights.

but, i gave it up after a year.

If you ever get a chance, check out Abilene Cooper's band. I'm not sure if they're still on the same level that they used to be..but, they used to routinely have around 600 people in their band..they usually only let 400 or so be in the marching band. it was a site to behold. not only were they big, but they were awesome. they made a few trips to the rose bowl parade and whatnot..the announcers were always blown away.

hopefully their program still is what it once was
Old 10-07-2003, 12:51 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Rhylan, i know how you feel.
when i went to school at Baird, there would be years where there was around 80 people in the band. that's alot of people for a high school that has 120 students in it...
they allowed 8th graders to be in high school band...so, that meant that out of a possible 150 students or so, around 80 were in band.

the cheerleaders would drop their pom poms and go play their instruments at half time.. my older brother was an all-state lineman by the time he was a sopohomore..but, he was in band as well.

people had pride in it. there was no nerdy band crap. to be honest, it was pretty much just about the cool thing to do.

it's weird seeing all-state lineman being all-state band members as well...(not my brother, but another lineman...my brother just liked to bang the hell out of things..so he played drums)
Old 10-07-2003, 01:20 PM   #16
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
I'd like play chess with chiwas
Call the site.

Old 10-07-2003, 01:51 PM   #17
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

(in chronological order)
Swimming 1 yr (I was a water baby, thats my picture on the Nirvana Nevermind CD cover) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Basketball 3yrs(just dribbling at that age [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] played in high school, in the Marines, college intramurals, and still going strong in 2 men's rec leagues and endless pickup)
Soccer 5 (stopped at about 10)
Baseball 8 (played till the end of little league, about 14)
Football 12 (played 6th,7th and 8th grade)
400m 14 (offseason basketball players were required to do 2 track events) (I actually was'nt bad at this, I ran it in less than a minute)
High jump 14 (the other event I was ok at in track)
Volleyball 16 (too bad there's no organized boys volleyball in Texas schools, I love this game almost half as much as I love basketball)
Raquetball 20 (in the Marines, it's like a subculture)
Tennis 25 (hey, I gotta have a backup sport for when I can't play Bball anymore, and I hate Golf)

Chess? I play it and love it, but sorry not a sport......
Old 10-07-2003, 02:10 PM   #18
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

GradeSchool - Football, Basketball, Baseball and Track
Highschool - Football (HS All-American RB & Punter), Basketball, Baseball(HS All-American Catcher) and Track(All State - Hurdles)
College, Law School and Beyond - Rugby
Tennis
Snow Skiing
Swimming (competitively for about 8 years)
Then Running Marathons (about 25 of them)
Triathlons (5 Ironmans, over 40 half Ironmans)
And now, just basketball
Old 10-07-2003, 02:13 PM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

my parents made me play softball in elementary school and Jr. high. I actually wanted to play basketball all along but I didnt get to play until I was in high school, but even then I never went varsity even though I was good at point, because Im a midget at 5'4" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 02:19 PM   #20
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Impressive resume OP.

I played soccer from 4 until 12

Middle School: football, basketball, track

High School: basketball

I still regret not playing high school football. I was talked out of it by the new basketball coach, but he and I didn't click. I walked on at Navarro College, but after about 2 weeks of 6 A.M. runs, I figured it wasn't worth it.

I play pick up basketball when I get a chance.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:04 PM   #21
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

I'm in cross country right now training for basketball. Basketball tryout start in a week....
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 03:04 PM   #22
Novice#41
Golden Member

Novice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to behold

field hockey over 10 yrs...

track record : regional champion [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]...

Novice#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 04:49 PM   #23
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road

Soccer- 5-present
Baseball- 4-14
Basketball-5, 11-13

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 05:22 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

well, soccer doesn't really count
Old 10-07-2003, 05:50 PM   #25
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
well, soccer doesn't really count
unless you are a woman. Soccer is for girls [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 08:15 PM   #26
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Tennis
Swimming
Basketball

And once we figured out I really did have NO athletic ability at all, stuck to piano & flute. I lasted a year in marching band. Depressing too, b/c our football team sucked that year.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:30 PM   #27
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Softball up till high school.

basketball in 6th-8th.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:56 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

OP..like we REALLY believe you

anyways, soccer is only a sport if it's played by soccer ladies
Old 10-07-2003, 09:09 PM   #29
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

Man...you kids must have had no time to yourselves!
I played tennis when I was about 7...
Then I played basketball from 12-18....like 6 games a week
plus training sessions. I couldn't have played other sports if I'd wanted to!

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:13 PM   #30
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

Track 7th-12th
Basketball 7th

Partying 8th grade-present
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 10:37 PM   #31
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

ok..Murph...when you get "un mile high"...I'll take you to the keeper of the scrapbook and records...my mother.....

Hell, she might even think you're cute.

Sorry. It's verifiable.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:29 PM   #32
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Started with soccer at the age of 5 (played three years).
Field Hockey at the age of seven (played fourteen years, junior national top 30).
Table Tennis at the age of 10 (played a couple years).
Swimming at the age of 14 (still do it, but not competitively).
Basketball at the age of 16 (played 5 years competitively, still do it but no competitions).
TaekWonDo at the age of 23 (still do it).
I also competet in track events (1500 m, 5000 m, Javelin), and I did triathlon for two years or so and started in mountainbike races.

Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 08:20 AM   #33
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Soccer: 3 years
Footbnall: 7 years
Basketball: 7 Years
Baseball: 15 Years. Played into college, but quit because I wan't ever going to play, and because of a newfound fondness for beer.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 08:24 AM   #34
Murphy3
Guru

Hey, OP..that would actually be pretty cool. I'd like to find out some info on old-timers sporting events.

and you know i believe you. It just wouldn't be proper for me to not harrass someone. And, I picked you this time.