Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-13-2002, 09:48 AM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the link

MINNY'S SHEEP IN WOLVES CLOTHING

January 13, 2002 -- PHILADELPHIA - Call me a cynic, call me a misanthropist, call me collect with your one phone call from lockup, but I just can't get too excited over the Timberwolves despite their 26-9 record (tied with the Kings for second in the west) and their 120-102 lark against the Lakers.
OK, so Wally Szczerbiak and Kevin Garnett outscored Shaq and Kobe, 66-52. And the Wolves smoked (with J.R.'s permission) the 2-time defending champs for the most points this season and second most since Phil Jackson replaced Dyan Cannon as coach. Get back to me when Minny does that 11 days into the second season instead of 11 days into January.

How bad have the Knicks been since Don Chaney assumed control of Camp Cablevision's Titanic? They've managed to further sully an already undistinguished coaching career (269-394; .406) with the Clippers, Rockets and Pistons. Chaney's teams have been on the sunny side of mediocrity all of twice (earning coaching honors once) in seven full seasons.

I thought TBS said it all Tuesday when it dumped the Lakers-Rockets mismatch early in the fourth quarter for bonus coverage of the Memphis Grizzlies, but MSG took tedium to another level when it abandoned the Knicks-Mavericks abomination for bonus coverage of the Yule Log.

Nice of Jalen Rose to rediscover his touch (it only comes out when the moon is on the run) and help out the Pacers by blistering the Bulls for 38 points. Makes a max contract (25 percent base year) easier to move. According to sources, the Nuggets have made (are about to make?) a honest-to-goodness pitch (Nick Van Exel) for the withering Rose. Should it do a Rose (and a fringe player) for Van Exel, Indiana might be able to swap Travis Best for Marc Jackson or Adonal Foyle; no relation to Yinka Dare.

Larry Brown expelled Allen Iverson from Friday's shoot-around when it became apparent he wasn't in the mood to work as hard as his coach demanded. The night time is the right time for that kind of effort, proved Iverson. He spanked the Bruce Bowen-less Spurs for 37 points, six assists, four rebounds and four of Philly's 14 steals. Eric Snow also had four and Speedy Claxton had two. "Their guards were the difference," Mark Bryant felt. "They really got into our big guys and dug out the ball when we put it down."

It's amazing what a gentle touch of constructive condemnation can do. As a witless eyewitness to the above attraction, I gazed fondly at a Philly squad, which, for the second time this season (first was its near win vs. the Lakers in L.A.) remotely resembled last season's eastern conference champs. This came two days after a forgettable 48 vs. the Magic and Iverson's love tap at Brown: "We have no idea what's going on offensively or defensively." Replied the coach, "That's the first time any of my players have ever criticized what we're trying to do . . . in public." In the future, Brown requests any dirty laundry be aired in the locker room. This way, John Croce can go through the pockets.

Don't look now, but the Pistons have gone from the Bad Boys to the very bad boys. Following an 11-5 start, they've plunged to 16-18, the latest lug a 104-90 loss to the Celtics at Casa Del Fleet in spite of 5-24 shooting by Antoine Walker (1-14) and Paul Pierce. Since the Vitamin C's shot 52% from the field, this means Boston's role players drained 36-of-55 shots (65.4%).

From the "Roach Clip And Save This Boxscore Department: My Clippers dropped blow the mediocrity meridian with a total tank job Friday in Charlotte as the Hornets fought back from a 17-point deficit to win in OT. LA helped its hosts by misfiring 11-of-25 free throws, including two late lemmings by Lamar Odom. In his defense, he was uneasy playing in the part of the country where they make real cigarettes.

It's official, Jerry Colangelo has made Scott Skiles the Suns' interim coach. If and when the plug is pulled, Henry Bibby would be somebody management might want to consider. If for no other reason, he won championships at every level as a player, built a successful program at USC and compiled the third-highest winning percentage in CBA history over nine seasons.

By naming Detroit's Zelijko Rebraca to the rookie-sophomore challenge instead of Jersey's Richard Jefferson (or Golden State's Troy Murphy), the NBA has created an international incident in this space. Aside from the Yugoslavian's birth place, what, pray tell, was the league looking at? Certainly not individual or team statistics, or intangible contributions, such as defense; Jefferson has him beat almost across the board.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2002, 09:49 AM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Read down to the "Roach Clip And Save This Boxscore Department. LOL
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 03:40 PM   #3
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Once again the T-Wolves (my 2nd fav team) are'nt getting the respect they deserve. No surprise though, vescey is a dinosaur that needs to be extinct. Damn he sucks.....