Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-10-2003, 08:32 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Manute Bol returns.....again

Bol plans to become a licensed jockey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

ANDERSON, Ind. -- Manute Bol, the 7-foot-7 former NBA player from the Sudan, plans to follow his brief stints in hockey and boxing with a venture into horse racing.

Hoosier Park announced Friday that Bol plans to "become the world's tallest jockey" on Oct. 18.

The track, about 30 miles northeast of Indianapolis, said Bol will become a licensed jockey with the Indiana Horse Racing Commission in an effort to raise money for his native country. The news release did not offer further details on Bol's plans on the race track.

It would not be the first time Bol has taken up a new sport in a promotion to support his Ring True Foundation, which raises money and awareness about problems in the civil war-torn Sudan.

On Nov. 12, 2002, Bol, who was known for blocking shots and shooting 3-pointers, agreed to terms to play with the Indianapolis Ice of the Central Hockey League. Four days later, he suited up for a home game, sitting behind the bench until his arthritic feet began to swell in his custom-made skates. He was out of uniform after one period of the game, which drew a season-high crowd of 5,859 to Conseco Fieldhouse. He did not return to the team.

Bol also once competed in Fox TV's Celebrity Boxing show and beat former NFL player William ``The Refrigerator'' Perry in a bout. Bol agreed to take part, so long as Fox agreed to air a toll-free number for the Ring True Foundation.

A member of the Dinka tribe, Bol was a second-round draft pick of the Washington Bullets in 1985.

He played 11 seasons in the NBA with four teams, blocking more shots per minute than anyone in league history. He retired from in 1995 after averaging 2.6 points and 4.2 rebounds in his career.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2003, 08:44 PM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Manute Bol returns.....again

It's sad that he's become such a sideshow. He's a good man (i'm quoting fake norm, but I'm serious).
Old 10-10-2003, 09:59 PM   #3
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
It's sad that he's become such a sideshow. He's a good man (i'm quoting fake norm, but I'm serious).
He's not a sideshow! He's raising money and awareness for Sudan, a severly war torn nation that is in dire need of outside help.
It's such a long way from here, its out of sight out of mind for most Americans. Heck most people can't even find it on a map, even though its one of the largest nations in Africa.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:03 PM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

He might make a good jockey. He only weighs about 104 lbs.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 11:07 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
He might make a good jockey. He only weighs about 104 lbs.
Plus, if he is losing he can use his legs to help the horse. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 12:20 AM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Evander Holyfield is a sideshow. Bol is attempting to use his little bit of fame in order to help the Sudan
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 03:02 AM   #7
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally posted by: MFFL
Quote:
Evander Holyfield is a sideshow. Bol is attempting to use his little bit of fame in order to help the Sudan
I definitely agree with you here, what the hell is Evander doing anyways? I saw him on the Best Damn and he said he has made over 250m boxing, so please tell me why he continue to go out and get his a$$ handed to him, fight after fight? Sure he may love boxing, but this is becoming a bit ridiculous here.

Total props to Manute for doing this, he seems to be a very good guy and this is another way he shows us all that. Way to go Manute