Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-09-2003, 11:33 AM   #1
grab

grab is on a distinguished road
Default nick to nicks - oct 8th

New York Post is reporting that the Knicks will be trading Kurt Thomas and Charlie Ward to Golden State for Nick Van Exel. The Warriors, however, say there's no way they're trading Van Exel to the Knicks.
grab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2003, 11:38 AM   #2
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

NY Post has been saying this. They have no credibility. Come to me when ESPN reports it.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:54 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

hey grab. First of all...welcome to the board. But, we've seen this rumor from the idiot NY media for about a year and a half now. Basically, take any rumor pertaining to sports, read what the NY writer says will happen, reverse it completely, and you are close to the truth.

NY writers are idiots.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 02:58 PM   #4
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road
Default RE: nick to nicks - oct 8th

Nick would rule NY. IMHO, he would automaticly become the 2nd or at least 3rd best pg in the east. Not to mention & line up of NVE, Houston, Van Horme, McDyess (If by some fluke of nature he could actualy stay healthy) & the 80 year old center who shal remain nameless due to the current state of affairs on this board and a bench w\ guys like Sweetney, Lampe, Othella & Williams could actualy compete for a playoff spot in the East. If that is the case, could you imagine how bad NVE could torch some of the Eastern playoff teams? Not saying that they could go very far, but NVE would be inspired if he could get to the playoffs this season. This is of course all based on IF McDyess can stay healthy & play at even close to the level he did a few years back & if the old guy signs with them & has any thing left in the tank.
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 03:22 PM   #5
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

[/quote]The Warriors, however, say there's no way they're trading Van Exel to the Knicks.[/quote]

Speedy Claxton scored 20 points in 9 minutes last night on 8-11 shooting. Maybe they want to rethink that.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2003, 03:25 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Say it enough and people will believe it. Say it enough and people will believe it. Say it enough and people will believe it. Say it enough and people will believe it. Say it enough and people will believe it. Say it enough and people will believe it. Say it enough and people will believe it. Say it enough and people will believe it. Say it enough and people will believe it. Say it enough and people will believe it.

What the NY press thinks.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 03:30 PM   #7
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road

Speedy is a hell of a lot cheaper that Nick. The Warriors could Cut Ward as soon as they get him, Start Speedy & have Kurt Thomas (very tradable) to add to the mix. IMO, the warriors will do about the same with or without this trade (Which aint gonna be good) & could save a ton by trading Nick.
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 03:38 PM   #8
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Plus Nick doesn't fit. If and when they ever get good, Nick won't be any good. I don't know how good speedy will be, but he's on his way up, not down.

IMO the only way it makes sense for them to keep Nick is if they are fairly sure he'll opt out ofter the season.

Nick doesn't really fit in NY either, but that's never stopped the Nicks before.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:58 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Plus Nick doesn't fit. If and when they ever get good, Nick won't be any good. I don't know how good speedy will be, but he's on his way up, not down.

IMO the only way it makes sense for them to keep Nick is if they are fairly sure he'll opt out ofter the season.

Nick doesn't really fit in NY either, but that's never stopped the Nicks before.

How does he not fit? Knicks have no pg and Frank WIlliams hasn't show anything for someone to declare him starter. Actually its a perfect fit. They give up a nobody and a power foward which they have plenty for a need.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 06:03 PM   #10
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I think they need to rebuild. If I were them I wouldn't bring in anybody over 30. The current group isn't going anywhere. He fits in if you are talking about competing today, but even in the weak East, I don't see them getting out of the 1st round if they make the playoffs. Nick would make them just good enough to get a draft pick that's less likely to have an impact.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:01 PM   #11
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Of course the Warriors are not going to say 'yeah we're looking to trade Nick and NY is probably the place we'll send him'.

Golden State is in rebuilding mode and I'd be surprised if they do not trade NVE this season. Now that Mutumbo has signed with the Knicks, it makes sense that the Warriors would trade Nick for Ward and Thomas.

Not saying this trade will happen, but I'm betting it will.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:53 PM   #12
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

I don't see the W's or any team for that matter trading NVE for KT and Ward, the Knicks have offered that same tired package to every team in the league and they all have shut the door. I wouldn't even trade my one-legged Grandma for that package, Granny has more handles.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 02:28 PM   #13
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I think they need to rebuild. If I were them I wouldn't bring in anybody over 30. The current group isn't going anywhere. He fits in if you are talking about competing today, but even in the weak East, I don't see them getting out of the 1st round if they make the playoffs. Nick would make them just good enough to get a draft pick that's less likely to have an impact.
I'd prefer to see the NYKs rebuild. But given the reality that they are going to try to compete for a playoff spot, I think that NVE fits in pretty well from a need perspective with the group of players they have now.

I doubt it would happen, but I think he'd be most effective coming off the bench--teaming Eisely (non-scorer) with Houston (scorer) in the starting backcourt, and bringing NVE (scorer) and Shandon Anderson (non-scorer) off the bench.

NYKs are still bloated with waste products at power forward (Weatherspoon and Harrington should be moved), and have paper-thin depth at center (Travis Knight is nothing but a bad haircut, and who knows what Vranes will be?).
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 02:39 PM   #14
dirno2000
Diamond Member

On the court, I have no doubt he could help them. He also seems like the kind of player NY fans would love.

My perspective from afar is that you just can't tear it down and rebuild in NY. It seems the NY based teams in basketball, hockey and baseball feel they have to try to compete every year. A lot of the time that leads to overspending for marginal players and bad chemistry. I guess football is different since they have a hard cap.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:30 AM   #15
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Quote:
I'd prefer to see the NYKs rebuild. But given the reality that they are going to try to compete for a playoff spot, I think that NVE fits in pretty well from a need perspective with the group of players they have now.

I doubt it would happen, but I think he'd be most effective coming off the bench--teaming Eisely (non-scorer) with Houston (scorer) in the starting backcourt, and bringing NVE (scorer) and Shandon Anderson (non-scorer) off the bench.

NYKs are still bloated with waste products at power forward (Weatherspoon and Harrington should be moved), and have paper-thin depth at center (Travis Knight is nothing but a bad haircut, and who knows what Vranes will be?).
Good point, right now the Knicks are in the worst possible spot, not quite a playoff team, barely a lottery team. If your not in the playoffs atleat be the 14th-15th team, not the 9th-10th seed, the Knicks can't even lose right. Nick puts them over the hump, gets them in the playoffs and who knows, at the least brings a little excitement back to MSG and holds them over intill their young players step-up.

Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote