Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-14-2002, 03:57 PM   #1
mavs_afroman

mavs_afroman is on a distinguished road

Where are they? Are they better, worse, or the same with/without him? Will they be better than they were before he was injured when he returns?

I think that at times they can be just as good without him as they were with him. However they are not nearly as consistant without him. During portions of the games from these last 3 or 4 they have played with the alot of energyand done really well on offense and defense but haven't done it for a whole game. Finley seems to be the one who sustains the energy and keeps playing well through the whole game, helping avoid another Denver incident. Of course, having him as another shooter would takes the pressure off of Nash and Dirk. So, one more question. Is it Finley or could another consistant shooter (45% fgs 20-22ppg) fill the role just as well?
Old 01-14-2002, 04:09 PM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Though I think he's fallin to #3(of the BIG 3), he's still a BIG part of the Mavs and there no question we're better with him on the team.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 04:15 PM   #3
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Fin remains #1 in my heart [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2002, 04:34 PM   #4
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

So, one more question. Is it Finley or could another consistant shooter (45% fgs 20-22ppg) fill the role just as well?

You say that as if finding a consistent 20+ shooter to try replacing him with would be an easy thing. There are only 23 or so players averaging 20+ in the league right now (22 on the official lists + Webber who's not on the league leaders yet because of his time out). Subtract the point guards and power forwards (so we are not duplicating Nash or Dirk which would not help) and there are maybe 12 players who could fill Finley's 20+ points role--and we are talking about guys like Carter, McGrady, Allen, Iverson, Pierce, etc.

It might be open to debate between Finley and each as to which would be most effective on this team, but it would take another legitimate star to fill Finley's role 'just as well'.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 04:51 PM   #5
mavs_afroman

mavs_afroman is on a distinguished road

<< So, one more question. Is it Finley or could another consistant shooter (45% fgs 20-22ppg) fill the role just as well?

You say that as if finding a consistent 20+ shooter to try replacing him with would be an easy thing.
>>

The other part of that question is is there just something special that Finley brings to this team or could anyone else who could put up his stats (like you said not an easy taks) fill the role that Fin plays here. In fact, if Nash and Dirk became the 1st and 2nd options their points would porbably go up and a 3rd shooter would actually only have to average about 17-20 ppg. You mentioned Webber, McGrady, Allen, Iverson, Pierce, etc. but would you rather have one of them than finley? What about someone like Peja who could put up aroung 18 easily if given the chance?
Old 01-14-2002, 06:06 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

the thing is...is that it is easier to find someone to fill finley's role at the two guard than it is to fill the role of the point guard like nash has...or the forward spot like dirk..

however, it is rediculous to downplay the role that finley plays on this team...
this team lives and dies with dirk, nash, and fin.... as long as they are playing well, the mavs have a legitimate shot to beat anyone regardless of how anyone else on the team is playing...

fin was an all-star the past two years and will probably just miss it this year...but if you're talking about replacing finley, to replace him at the 2 guard spot...there's a very short list of players that would duplicate his performance.

although there are a handful of guys that are not quite as good as finley that could fill the role if it meant ALSO bringing in someone special at the 4 or 5 spot
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 07:28 PM   #7
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Afroman, once you go there, we are getting into 'intangibles' which are, pretty much by definition, subjective. And its also going to vary by the option. I'll give you my views on a few--

Iverson: No way. I think he's a better player than Finley one-on-one, but I also think he doesn't know how to play team ball and would just kill this offense--either he wouldn't get his shots, and so wouldn't score as much as Finley, or he would take his shots and our scoring would drop as he took them from the far more efficient Nash or Nowitzki.

Allen: Even though I argued that Allen's stats are better than Finley's on the other thread, I don't think I do this. Allen has a lot of skills, but I don't think he has the same intensity as Finley. And that is an intangible that Finley still brings to this team whether he's doing the scoring or not--he wants to win, period.

Carter: My long-time knock on Carter is that he lacks that same intensity I was just talking about. But he also has incredible skills. I do this trade in the blink of an eye. Let Nelson and Nash and hopefully Nowitzki worry about intensity.

McGrady: No question, do the trade.

I could go on, but it seems kind of pointless. None of these people are available for Finley and no one who is not at that level should even be considered.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:50 AM   #8
TheKid
Diamond Member

Agreed Hoopsmeister. What do you think about Kobe? Do you make the trade?
Old 01-15-2002, 12:37 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i agree..i wouldn't want iverson on the mavs...however, i would pull the trigger on the allen trade..in a heartbeat
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 04:29 PM   #10
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

I left Kobe out deliberately the first time. I just can't stand the over-rated Drama Queen, so I can't even try to make an objective judgment about him for Finley, who may not be my favorite Maverick, but who I do think is a nice guy and quality human being.

Do I make the trade? Maybe. Kobe's slashing and ball-handling ability might make an even better complement to Dirk and Nash than Finley. On the other hand, last year Kobe had trouble accepting a complementary role to the most dominant player in the game which says something about his ability to play well with others.

On the third hand, if I was a big Finley fan, I'd definitely make the trade--after all, my man Michael would be going off to get some rings. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2002, 05:02 PM   #11
TheKid
Diamond Member

Well in all honesty, I can't STAND KOBE, but I would actually make the trade as much as I hate to say it. Actually just what you were saying about him last year, it seems that he's found a way to accept his role this year....