Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-12-2003, 09:58 PM   #1
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough
Default Blade and Stewart

Has Bill found two big time keepers at the DT position? It has sure looked like it over the past few weeks. Over the offseason, I thought DT was a prime position we needed filled next offseason. I had already begun looking at the likes of UM's Vince Wilfork and OU's Tommie Harris. Although if Blade and Stewart are legit prospects as they appear then this is not only good for the short term but it is excellent for the long term also.

Just think a few months ago either could have been had for a cup of water, now both have a chance to be fixtures in our DT for years to come. Is it them finally getting a chance? being healthy? The power of Parcells? Whatever it is...it looks like there may have been some more diamonds in last years trash.

I was 100% confident Parcells would fix both line play in his stay in Dallas, I just didn't expect to see these results so fast.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2003, 11:04 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

not to mention Ogubogu or whatever..he's looked good for the most part as well

but, good thread
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 11:37 PM   #3
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Can't forget Coleman. What I like about Blade is that he is only a 2 year pro. I imagine Stewart, Obogu and Coleman are all in the 1-3 year range. All young players. The line stlll needs some fixing though but being that we are working with just what we have they have been great. Especially Blade. I've been hearing about him all offseason.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 01:53 AM   #4
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve
Default RE: Blade and Stewart

yea, I agree good thread these guys are pretty darn good defensive linemen. we could possibly use more, because these guys get tired or something down the stretch i am not sure what it is, but definitely these guys are keepers. Ogu, Blade, Stewart, and Coleman
Old 10-13-2003, 01:58 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i wish that i had been as impressed with the linebackers
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 06:34 AM   #6
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve

the linebackers blow, all of them except maybe singleton but dat and dex, man i dont know what to say about those two.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:40 AM   #7
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
i wish that i had been as impressed with the linebackers
Is it just me or is Dexter a completely different player this year? He hasn't made any big plays and has been out of position for several plays so far this year. Even though we are playing the same defense, has bill changed his responsibilities any? I like Dex, but I think it is pretty certain that his position is being held for Bradie James. Maybe not this year, but James will be the starter at that position by next year. James was another nice pick by the Boys.

Dat is an acceptable middle linebacker. Nice player, but nothing special.

I wasn't sold on the Singleton signing, but he is growing on me. A nice steady linebacker who doesn't make any mistakes. He has been a good pickup for the cost. Has anyone noticed that the guy Tampa Bay signed to take Singleton's place, Dwayne Rudd, isn't even starting despite getting a big multi year contract? Singleton at a his salary would have been the much better move.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 07:52 AM   #8
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road

Please don't look to the Squatter's Tommie Harris. This guy, aside from crapping a helmet on the cover of SI, hasn't done crap on the field to deserve mentioning as one of the top DT's. His is an over-rated product of the OU hype machine. His stats for last year were abysmal and still he was up for all the post season awards and honors. I see him being a big time over-hyped early pick that goes bust and leaving fans wondering how things went wrong.
LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:13 AM   #9
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

The linebackers are not the kind of linebackers that Tuna likes. He likes full size linebackers, not the pocket variety.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:30 AM   #10
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Well, couple of points on the linebackers. First, we don't seem to be relying on them as much to stop the run this year. That is good, because there seem to be fewer 6 and 7 yard gains on us thus far. Second, and the point is alreadly made, these aren't the kind of linebackers Bill likes. But these are the kind of linebackers for Zimmer's defense. And we all know that Zimmer is just about the lone holdover from last year. I still think Bill wants to bring in his own defensive coordinator.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:10 AM   #11
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I think so too. I thought they would be a good match initially. Zimmer being the young tough hard driving coordinator who's the son of a coach. Then Parcells openly criticized his defensive line rotation after game one. While I have heard him praise Carthon and Payton at various times this year, he's been quiet on the subject of Zimmer. The way the defense performed yesterday, that may change. I'm sure there will be questions in the press conference about Zim's defense. I'm interested in seeing how Parcells handles them.