Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-12-2003, 05:09 PM   #1
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice
Default More Van Exel

Hey, Murphy. Can you compile the playoff stats of Dirk, Nash, and Fin, as compared to their regular season stats? I'd be interested in seeing that. My off the cuff guess is that Dirk's numbers are up, Nash's about the same, and Fin's are down.
Aside from that. Are you saying that Nick is NOT a crunch-time player? Aside from what the numbers show, which I think a lot of people would say don't mean much by the way, I think he is at his best in big games when the game is on the line. I think that is very important. Sometimes the rest of the team is not playing well and it is up to him to carry the team, in which case his fg% might go down. I wonder what just his Maverick playoff stats are.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2003, 06:03 PM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: More Van Exel

Nick had one good series. Dirk and Nash had 3 good series. His playoff run reminded me of his regular season run, he was good in spurts. Wasn't there in the 1st round, came to the 2nd, and disappeared in the 3rd. Being a good basketball player isn't defined by one series, ask Mike Bibby.

On a side note, thanks for putting you Van Exel thread in the NBA section rather than the Mavs section.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 06:30 PM   #3
DrtyFlthyNasty

DrtyFlthyNasty is on a distinguished road
Default More Van Exel

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Nick had one good series. Dirk and Nash had 3 good series. His playoff run reminded me of his regular season run, he was good in spurts. Wasn't there in the 1st round, came to the 2nd, and disappeared in the 3rd. Being a good basketball player isn't defined by one series, ask Mike Bibby.

On a side note, thanks for putting you Van Exel thread in the NBA section rather than the Mavs section.
you cant be serious?!.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
"I know what I can do,'' Van Exel said. "I'm not really worried about what other people say, that I'm just a scorer or a ballhog or whatever. I know when I need to score, and I definitely know how to make players better.'' - Nick Van Exel

"The ROC handle like Van Exel,
I shake phoneys man, You can't get next to.."

-Jayz
DrtyFlthyNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 06:39 PM   #4
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road
Default More Van Exel

I agree with Nash13.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 06:53 PM   #5
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough
Default More Van Exel

It matters what you remember for the first round to determine whether Nick was good in it

Great games in 6 and 7

Or bad games before that which costed them games 6 and 7.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:57 PM   #6
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Long Blue, I remember enough to know that no one had a good game 6 in the first round but the Blazers. And he did have a good game 7, but one game doesn't make a good series.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 10-13-2003, 01:21 AM   #7
DrtyFlthyNasty

Default More Van Exel

nash13, i suggest that you watch the playoffs of 2003 again and tell me had had 1 good game or 1 good series as you say. He saved nash's butt out there countless times when nash couldnt get the offense going for himself or the team. but everyone has an opinion and thats what these boards are for eh?...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
"I know what I can do,'' Van Exel said. "I'm not really worried about what other people say, that I'm just a scorer or a ballhog or whatever. I know when I need to score, and I definitely know how to make players better.'' - Nick Van Exel

-Jayz
Old 10-13-2003, 02:49 AM   #8
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Ahh, I see ... that is when "racking up a three with the opponents hand in your face" is recognized as "saved nash´s butt out there when nash couldnt get the offense going for himself".
Old 10-13-2003, 08:19 AM   #9
Nash13
Diamond Member

Default More Van Exel

DrtyFlthyNasty, i've looked up stats for every playoff game, and statistically, i'm right.

Portland Series

<u>Game One</u>

Nash-10pts, 8ast
Exel- 8pts, 4ast

<u>Game 2</u>

Nash- 28pts, 8ast
Exel- 12pts, 6ast

<u>Game 3</u>

Nash- 12pts, 10ast
Exel- 14pts, 7ast

<u>Game 4</u>

Nash- 0pts, 3ast
Exel- 18pts, 7ast

<u>Game 5</u>

Nash- 7pts, 11ast
Exel- 25pts, 5ast

<u>Game 6</u>

Nash- 21pts, 6ast
Exel- 4pts, 3ast

<u>Game 7</u>

Nash- 21pts, 7ast
Exel- 26pts, 3ast

Sacramento Series

<u>Game 1</u>

Nash- 20pts, 7ast
Exel- 20pts, 5ast

<u>Game 2</u>

Nash- 19pts, 7ast
Exel- 36pts, 3ast

<u>Game 3</u>

Nash- 31pts, 11ast
Exel- 40pts, 7ast

<u>Game 4</u>

Nash- 6pts, 6ast
Exel- 5pts, 3ast

<u>Game 5</u>

Nash- 25pts, 7ast
Exel- 18pts, 3ast

<u>Game 6</u>

Nash- 15pts, 6ast
Exel- 35pts, 3ast

<u>Game 7</u>

Nash- 18pts, 13ast
Exel- 23pts, 4ast

San Antonio Series

<u>Game 1</u>

Nash- 22pts, 3ast
Exel- 14pts, 1ast

<u>Game 2</u>

Nash- 12pts, 8ast
Exel- 13pts, 3ast

<u>Game 3</u>

Nash- 10pts, 9ast
Exel- 16pts, 3ast

<u>Game 4</u>

Nash- 25pts, 2ast
Exel- 22pts, 3ast

<u>Game 5</u>

Nash- 14pts, 6ast
Exel- 21pts, 4ast

<u>Game 6</u>

Nash- 6pts, 11ast
Exel- 19pts, 2ast

~The Salesman
Old 10-13-2003, 08:25 AM   #10
Nash13
Diamond Member

Overall, Nash outplayed Van Exel in every series. So maybe you should go back and watch the 2003 playoffs, b/c Nash got the better of Nick. Also, Nash out-assisted Nick Van Exel 19 of 20 playoff games.

And when Nick had a better game, most of the time we ended up losing.

~The Salesman
Old 10-13-2003, 02:09 PM   #11
DrtyFlthyNasty

Default More Van Exel

*deleted*

-Jayz
Old 10-13-2003, 02:09 PM   #12
DrtyFlthyNasty

Default More Van Exel

Quote:
Overall, Nash outplayed Van Exel in every series. So maybe you should go back and watch the 2003 playoffs, b/c Nash got the better of Nick. Also, Nash out-assisted Nick Van Exel 19 of 20 playoff games.

And when Nick had a better game, most of the time we ended up losing.

You have got to be kidding me!...Ok, one thing, stats are NOT everything. Yes Nash had better stats, he is supposed to because he IS the STARTING pg. I have watched the playoffs over and over to see what the mavs needed to do to improve. Nash got the better of nick.. ok that is your opinion. Nash better out assist nick since he is the teams pg and van exel is the sg who was told by nellie to shoot the ball. And nick had the better game when we ended up losing? seriously u need to watch the games. The reason van exel had good games when we lost was because the rest of the team didnt show up. And van exel also did fine when we won, and won a few games for us also. And in case you forgot, van exel was a reserve on this team, coming off the bench.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

-Jayz
Old 10-13-2003, 02:40 PM   #13
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road
Default More Van Exel

ok, DrtyFlthyNasty, i hope u r not trying to say stat is not everything but what u felt when watching a tape is.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:09 PM   #14
DrtyFlthyNasty

Default More Van Exel

we all have our own opinions, im just stating what i think and what other nba players around the league have stated, what coaches around the league have stated, what commentators of numerous basketball teams have stated...van exel is definitely overlooked.

-Jayz
Old 10-13-2003, 04:11 PM   #15
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default More Van Exel

Quote:
Originally posted by: DrtyFlthyNasty
we all have our own opinions, im just stating what i think and what other nba players around the league have stated, what coaches around the league have stated, what commentators of numerous basketball teams have stated...van exel is definitely overlooked.
If everybody's singing Nick's praises, then I think it's a little difficult to argue that's he's overlooked. In fact, I think that is the antithesis of being overlooked.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:18 PM   #16
Nash13
Diamond Member

Default More Van Exel

[quote]

Quote:
You have got to be kidding me!...Ok, one thing, stats are NOT everything. Yes Nash had better stats, he is supposed to because he IS the STARTING pg.
Stats are important for proving my point. It was you who said Nick had to carry Steve Nash, and statistically he didn't.

Quote:
I have watched the playoffs over and over to see what the mavs needed to do to improve.
The Mavs took a huge step this summer in getting what they needed to improve.

Quote:
Nash got the better of nick.. ok that is your opinion.
Along with just about everybody else on this board.

Quote:
Nash better out assist nick since he is the teams pg and van exel is the sg who was told by nellie to shoot the ball.

So now nash is at fault for playing his natural position? There was only 2 or 3 games where Nick significantly outscored Nash.

Quote:
van exel was a reserve on this team, coming off the bench.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Exactly!

~The Salesman
Old 10-13-2003, 04:37 PM   #17
DrtyFlthyNasty

Default More Van Exel

[quote]
Quote:

Quote:
You have got to be kidding me!...Ok, one thing, stats are NOT everything. Yes Nash had better stats, he is supposed to because he IS the STARTING pg.
Stats are important for proving my point. It was you who said Nick had to carry Steve Nash, and statistically he didn't.

Quote:
I have watched the playoffs over and over to see what the mavs needed to do to improve.
The Mavs took a huge step this summer in getting what they needed to improve.

Quote:
Nash got the better of nick.. ok that is your opinion.
Along with just about everybody else on this board.

Quote:
Nash better out assist nick since he is the teams pg and van exel is the sg who was told by nellie to shoot the ball.

So now nash is at fault for playing his natural position? There was only 2 or 3 games where Nick significantly outscored Nash.

Quote:
van exel was a reserve on this team, coming off the bench.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Exactly!

yes stats are important, but you seem to base your whole argument on stats. nick did carry the team when nash couldnt at times, doing certaint things that dont show up in the stat sheets, the intangibles.

Did they did take a step for improving the team?, I hope. But it remains to be seen. I hope this puts us over the hump this year. We have improved the previous 2 years in the playoffs and I hope the third year we continue to improve, with a title. I guess, I just feel that losing nick and raja *laugh now* might hurt us. i loved their fire and determination and willingness to lay it all on the line and get in peoples face and just go play balls out basketball.

Yes of course almost everyone on this board will agree that nash got the better of nick. this is a dallas maverick board and nash is part of the big three. i love nash's game, however i dont just look at numbers to see how good a player is. He is definitely a good player, however i havent really seen it in the playoffs yet. and the playoffs is where the great players step up.

I never said it was nash's fault that he was a pg. I am saying that you are comparing a pg stats with a sg stats. if nick would have been the pg it could have been a different story. Yes, there may have been only 2 or 3 games where nick significantly outscored nash. You keep talkin numbers. and you say ONLY 2 or 3 like its nothing. It was the playoffs!... 2 or 3 games a bencher comes in and does what nick did is amazing!... he scored over 20 pts 9 games in the playoffs, two of those games were well over 30 pts and 1 game was 40...

and yes van exel is the reserve. if you remember nellie was thinking of whether van exel orr nash would start when van exel came to dallas. van exel told nellie he wanted to come off the bench to help the team. and the reason i stated that van exel was a reserve is because he accomplished these feats in the playoffs as a reserve which is incredible.

-Jayz
Old 10-13-2003, 04:53 PM   #18
Nash13
Diamond Member

My point is, it was not that many games where Nash couldn't carry our offense.

~The Salesman
Old 10-13-2003, 04:58 PM   #19
DrtyFlthyNasty

Default More Van Exel

Quote:
My point is, it was not that many games where Nash couldn't carry our offense.
i agree with that. however there were big games where nash wasnt there and van exel helped BIG. and the reason im saying this is because certain people act as if what van exel did was overrated or.. dirk wasnt given enough credit.. or the team wasnt given enough credit.. the team was given its due, however what van exel did was bring this team up when they were down... portland series he did it, in the 4th qtr of game 7, the game was close and things looked dim for the mavs on their home floor. van exel stepped up huge.. in the sac series the team played like they were scared and van exel letem know and backed it up with his play... I get your point, i just dont understand how people dont get mine....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

-Jayz