Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-13-2003, 11:19 PM   #1
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough
Default RB...does this name interest anyone

I mentioned Barlow's name in a post a couple of days ago. He would be an interesting name to bring aboard. He was billed as a sleeper in the draft a few years ago and a real intersting prospect. He has never really broken through but that could be due to splitting time with Garrison Hearst. I think to get Barlow that it would take at least a 4th round pick for this former 3rd rounder. Would you do it for a 4th? If it didn't work out you could still draft a running back next year, although if he shows potential then you could have a nice back with good size and speed ratios.

Notebook: Cowboys may bolster running game

49ers backup Barlow one of Dallas' targets as trade deadline nears

10:12 PM CDT on Monday, October 13, 2003

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – The trading deadline is 4 p.m. Tuesday, and it's possible the Cowboys could make a move or two.

With concerns about the running game, the Cowboys have inquired about the services of a few tailbacks. They have talked with San Francisco about running back Kevan Barlow, according to two sources, including one close to Barlow. The Cowboys called on Miami's Leonard Henry, but the Dolphins were not willing to trade their second-year running back.

"If something comes up and we think it'll help us, we might do it," coach Bill Parcells said. "That's the way Jerry [Jones] is. Certainly if something comes up, he'd call it to my attention and we'd talk about it philosophically and whether we think it would be a good move."

Troy Hambrick is on pace for 1,104 yards after rushing for 345 yards on 102 carries in five games, but he is averaging only 3.4 yards per carry. Parcells views Aveion Cason as a change of pace, but rookie Erik Bickerstaff is the only grind-it-out runner besides Hambrick.

As much as it appears the running game is struggling, the Cowboys are averaging 134.8 yards per game on the ground, a 25-yard improvement over last season.

"I'm not interested in what's wrong with the running game, only with respect to we can run and control the game, which is what we've been able to do a little bit," Parcells said.

Barlow, a third-round pick in 2001 and Garrison Hearst's backup, does not appear to be the Niners' tailback of the future. He has carried the ball 60 times for 257 yards this season. He has also caught eight passes for 74 yards. He is scheduled to be a restricted free agent after the season.

According to a New York Jets source, they have an interest in cornerback Andrew Davison, who has yet to play for the Cowboys this season, for a late-round pick. Davison played six games for the Jets last season
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2003, 12:54 AM   #2
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

If we can get him for a fourth rounder I would be all for it, but I don't like that he is the last year of his contract.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:40 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Barlow is no better than Hambrick at this point. In fact, I would stick with Hammy in this case. If you are bringing him in to back up Hammy, then sure...go for it. I think Barlow is interesting....if a fourth rounder was all it took, sure do it. He could develop I guess. He is interesting.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 09:51 AM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Trust in Big Bill, as Randy Galloway says.

What else can you do but assume that if Pracells brings him in, he'll become a pro-bowler.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 09:56 AM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: RB...does this name interest anyone

I thought Barlow was the RB of the future for the Fruityniners...???

I don't think anything will come of this. We would have to give up alot more than a fourth rounder. And the fact that he is in the last year of his contract makes it even less attractive.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:17 PM   #6
Chicago JK

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
I thought Barlow was the RB of the future for the Fruityniners...???

I don't think anything will come of this. We would have to give up alot more than a fourth rounder. And the fact that he is in the last year of his contract makes it even less attractive.
I think he was suppose to be the future for the Niners, but it doesn't appear to be true anymore. Barlow is a restricted free agent after the season and it looks like the Niners probably won't keep them. The new Niner ownership is very cost consciuos, plus they have a lot of cap problems coming up. Terrell Owens is a nut case, but he is a free agent after the year. The dude produces....do they let him go. Their best defensive player J. Peterson is also a free agent. Plus I think they have their top corner and several other free agents. The niners are a mess and could be looking to deal Barlow now to at least get a pick for him.

Doubt anything happens but his impending free agent status and his inability to prove he is a big time player is why San fran may want to move him. I think he has plus talent (more than Hambrick pretty clearly), although I am not sure how much ability he has.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:21 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't offer them a 4th for him..'maybe' a 5th..

I don't use a draft pick on a trade for a RB when the cowboys are already gonna have some salary cap room come next off season
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 03:22 PM   #8
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: RB...does this name interest anyone

Isn't it moot now?

Didn't the trade deadline pass at 3PM CST today?
Old 10-14-2003, 03:26 PM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Isn't it moot now?

That is my question. Could be the paperwork isn't done. But I think the deadline has passed.

I think 6 weeks into a 17 week schedule is too early for a trade deadline. I'd make the deadline 48 hours after the last team has played 8 games-Wednesday of Week 9.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 03:54 PM   #10
Chicago JK

Quote:
Isn't it moot now?

Yeah, I think you are right. The trade deadline is set for 3 today. I am not sure if that is PST, EST or CST though. I believe the league offices are in NY though.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:48 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

CJK- excellent call though. Clearly there was some interest. You get the insight points.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote