Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-14-2003, 07:35 PM   #1
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default NBA's Poll: Biggest breakout season 2003-2004

I voted Yao.

Don't see anyone from the list to make an important impact besides Ming.

Edit. Cury and Kirilenko will be important, course, but not as much as Yao. IMO.

Old 10-14-2003, 08:18 PM   #2
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Jamal Crawford will probably do pretty well with Jwill(sorry man) gone.
Zach Randolph might take some of the scoring in Portland from the absence of Pippen.
Eddy Curry can be a real player
Old 10-14-2003, 08:33 PM   #3
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Dirk41= konsesjonen is on a distinguished road
Default RE: NBA's Poll: Biggest breakout season 2003-2004

lol, no Maggette? No Odom? No Murphy (further)? No Dunleavy?
Dirk41= konsesjonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 08:44 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Curry is big time
Randolph has what it takes to be an elite inside bruiser
Jaric sucks tires.
Kirilienko isnt half as good as the Jazz think he is, but he will be given a lot of opportunity
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 08:53 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I love AK's game. I believe he'll be a stud.

However, i'm not remotely sold on Prince yet
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 09:31 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Randolph and Kirilenko are two of my favorites from that list.

I can see them both taking on bigger roles for their teams.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:37 PM   #7
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

I would go with Yao. I think 20, 10 and 5 is a strong possibility with the offense being run through him. He has the potential to be the #1 player in the world.

I like AK's game too.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 10:00 PM   #8
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Curry is big time
Randolph has what it takes to be an elite inside bruiser
Jaric sucks tires.
Kirilienko isnt half as good as the Jazz think he is, but he will be given a lot of opportunity
AK 47 is insanely talented so the jazz must think he'll be shaq if you think they think he's twice as good as he is.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:03 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

let's wait 'till the end of the season before you call me insane, alright?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 10:06 PM   #10
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

I never called you insane.
And would you like to make a bet AK will get at least 14 ppg, 7 rpg, 2 aspg and 1.5 bpg and spg???
Old 10-15-2003, 08:46 AM   #11
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Yao, Chandler, and Crawford will all be all-stars.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:57 AM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Yao and AK.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:05 AM   #13
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go with Jamal Crawford. It's dark, but the injury to Jay Williams helps him since he'll be given the reins to the team. He's still wild assed, but if Cartwright can get him to play under control he'll finally justify his draft status. One of the most exiting players in the league. He's fun to watch.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:16 AM   #14
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

My vote is for Yao

Where is Q Rich? That is my true breakout man this year.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:38 AM   #15
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Yao will have the biggest breakdown season of the year.

Well that´s shock value of course, but I´m still not sold on the guy. He can play and is talented no doubt but I think he might be just a little bit too tall to be a professional athlete for an extended period of time. Especially in a pretty rough and physicaly demanding league like the NBA. Shawn Bradley is 7"7 but he´s only listed at 270 pounds. I think that actually benefits him when it comes to the longevity of his NBA career. Ming is listed at 7"5 and 310 pounds and probably gaining some more weight. All the other really huge guys that I can think of like Muresan or Ilkauskas were injury plagued throughout their career.

That´s all speculation of course but I think Yao will never really break out and his career will be short because he´s just too much of a freak of nature. When you exceed a certain height your body just doesn´t take it too well especially when you are a professional athlete. The human joints just aren´t build to deal with a 7"5, 310 pound giant running up and down on a hardwood floor all the time. The taller you are the more problems you´ll get with your center of gravity. Your body becomes unstable and difficult to coordinate which puts all the more pressure on your joints.

I might be wrong about this and Yao might be a ten time all star when he retires, but that´s what I think will happen. His body will break down.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 02:24 PM   #16
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I think the guy that will have the biggest breakout performance is lamar odom. This guy has great ball handling skills for a man his size and very much like nowitzki can play the three, four or five. He scored 34 points and 14 rebounds against the spurs. The other thing is he is being coached by five time nba championship coach Pat Riley.

I agree Eddy Curry was down right awesome down the stretch, but he is still playing for chicago.

Randolph has all the post moves and blistered the mavericks by taking the trailblazers down to game 7. With Rasheed at the three the trailblazers still have one of the best front courts in the league with Dale Davis.

Im not sold on Yao Ming yes he is 7 foot 6 but how many guys have his stature have failed in their expectations. Remember Shawn Bradley was supposed to be the next Wilt Chamberlin, or the next best thing. Remember who the point guard is stevie franchise hes not exactly an unselfish player. Shawn had pretty good rookie numbers for the nets too.

1) Lamar Odom
2) Eddy Curry
3) Zach Randolph
4)Yao Ming
5) Tayshaun Prince- he was down right clutch for the pistons. He made you wonder why he was sitting on the bench.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 07:06 PM   #17
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

My vote goes for Yao if dumb@ss Steve Francis can every figure out how to pass him the ball. Yao has the size and skills to be a dominant lowpost player in this league. He just needs the ball more.

Lamar Odom would be my runner up. If he can keep his nose clean and buy into what's Riley's selling, then the sky is the limit for his talent. Just say no to drugs Lamar.