Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-23-2003, 12:35 PM   #1
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough
Default All Star Game coming to Texas soon..........

Houston that is.............which completes the trifecta for them.

NBA's best will shine in Houston
Stellar weekend forms trifecta with NFL, MLB events

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

New Orleans is known for the French Quarter, Los Angeles for the celebrities. New York is the city that never sleeps.

But Wednesday, Houston took another giant leap toward becoming a destination city for professional sports' marquee events, landing the NBA All-Star Weekend.

NBA commissioner David Stern, describing himself as "beaten down" by the Rockets' carping, said Wednesday the event will be sent to Houston.

"We're definitely coming," Stern said. "The only question will be when."

Though Stern said he did not know when the three days of events would fill the George R. Brown Convention Center and Toyota Center, the Rockets had bid for the 2005, 2006 and 2007 events. The 2005 All-Star Weekend has been awarded to Denver.

The All-Star Weekend is the latest major sports event to be headed to one of Houston's three new sports facilities. The biggest, the Super Bowl, will be held at Reliant Stadium on Feb. 1, 2004. Major League Baseball's All-Star Game will be at Minute Maid Park next summer.

In addition, Houston will host the NCAA men's basketball Final Four in 2011 at Reliant Stadium.

Link to rest of story............for anyone who doesnt mind reading more city hyping.

Didnt think anyone here would want to read that mumbo-jumbo bullshit, so I just posted the whole point of the article and left the rest of garbage out.

You can thank me later for that............

Just one question though.......

Why doesnt Cubes want to host an ASG? I'm sure with his creative business mind, he could create an unforgetable ASG experience for players and fans alike.

And plus, it could be a great free agent marketing tool too........to lure players here. Everyone would win.

Old 10-23-2003, 12:46 PM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE:All Star Game coming to Texas soon..........

"Didnt think anyone here would want to read that mumbo-jumbo bullshit, so I just posted the whole point of the article and left the rest of garbage out."
You did? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

"You can thank me later for that............"

That was enough.

"Why doesnt Cubes want to host an ASG?"

Doesn't he? Didn't know.

"I'm sure with his creative business mind, he could create an unforgetable ASG experience for players and fans alike.
And plus, it could be a great free agent marketing tool too........to lure players here. Everyone would win."

Agree. But maybe the NBA wouldn't want to be embarrassed again and again by Cuban's marketing expertise.

Old 10-23-2003, 01:07 PM   #3
NYCdog

Quote:
"Why doesnt Cubes want to host an ASG?"

Doesn't he? Didn't know.
Yes, he publicly stated that he had no interest in staging the event. Cant remember when or why though.

Quote:
Agree. But maybe the NBA wouldn't want to be embarrassed again and again by Cuban's marketing expertise.
What's wrong with Cuban's marketing expertise?

I mean, this is the man why basicly transformed the Mavs from the embarrassment they were in the 90's to what they are now.........a damn good franchise. Its like going from Clippers to Lakers.

And yeah, he does do some stupid things sometimes. But you have to realize, its all to make headlines like the DQ incident. All of his antics make the team actually interesting to follow. It puts the national spotlight on the Mavs.

It sounds crazy............but its actually a SMART move in the marketing department on his part. And its has worked so far for the Mavs.

Old 10-23-2003, 01:09 PM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: All Star Game coming to Texas soon..........

NYC... I think he meant that the NBA doesn't want it's marketing "expertise" being outshined by Cuban's.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:11 PM   #5
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Cuban has stated he doe not want the all-star game here.
He complained how the season ticket holders get the shaft
because the great majority of tickets go to corporations
and comercial sponsors and charities. He also has noted
that it screws the home teams schedules --before and after-
the event.

IMO
There is now doubt I would love to show off what I think
is one of the best arenas and fans in the entire freakin NBA!

dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 01:12 PM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: NYCdog
Quote:
What's wrong with Cuban's marketing expertise?

I mean, this is the man why basicly transformed the Mavs from the embarrassment they were in the 90's to what they are now.........a damn good franchise. Its like going from Clippers to Lakers.

And yeah, he does do some stupid things sometimes. But you have to realize, its all to make headlines like the DQ incident. All of his antics make the team actually interesting to follow. It puts the national spotlight on the Mavs.

It sounds crazy............but its actually a smart move in the marketing department on his part.
Actually the DQ incident was one of the most brilliant moves I've ever seen. And now this year the NBA is instituting many of the things he was lobbying for. (See Refs get new evaluations thread).
Old 10-23-2003, 01:14 PM   #7
NYCdog

I think that's horseshit to me.

Why?

I'm sure the NBA wouldnt mind seeing the the excitement and interest generated in Cubes hosting the event.

It would translate into good TV ratings and pub for the league.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:16 PM   #8
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

As far as having the Allstar game here, we had one in the mid 80's. Since will soon be 30 teams in the league we won't be due to have one here for at least another decade or so.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:19 PM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirt_dobber
Cuban has stated he doe not want the all-star game here.
He complained how the season ticket holders get the shaft
because the great majority of tickets go to corporations
and comercial sponsors and charities. He also has noted
that it screws the home teams schedules --before and after-
the event.

IMO
There is now doubt I would love to show off what I think
is one of the best arenas and fans in the entire freakin NBA!
dirt_dobber is 100% accurate.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 01:52 PM   #10
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
NYC... I think he meant that the NBA doesn't want it's marketing "expertise" being outshined by Cuban's.
Yes.

Old 10-23-2003, 05:24 PM   #11
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

I want a All-Star game in Dallas. We have great fans and a great arena, I think it would be a great idea.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 08:48 PM   #12
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Not going to happen. in addition to what was posted above Cuban has mentioned repeatedly that it is a big money loser. He has used what happenned in Philly a couple years ago as an example several times.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 09:28 PM   #13
LRB
Guru

We should get the allstar game here in the next 15 to 20 years.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:48 AM   #14
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

How about a Super Bowl here?
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 12:39 PM   #15
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I think he said that season ticket holders get screwed. Like all those who had lower deck seats get moved to the upper deck.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote