Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-22-2002, 05:25 PM   #1
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

Hey Everybody,
I'm taking this year off from college (I did my freshman year at Florida State University) to work (and make $$$) and also travel. I'm planning on visiting Texas in the spring/summer and I've never been there before. Any suggestions on which parts I should hit? I'll take any advice, thanks....names of hotels would be good, too....cya
Old 01-22-2002, 05:52 PM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Where in Texas? Dallas, Houston, and Austin are all great places to visit. San Antonio's worth maybe a daytrip if you just HAVE to see the Alamo [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 06:23 PM   #3
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Come to Greenville...we have a new Home Depot!
Old 01-22-2002, 06:31 PM   #4
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Hop this helps of course these are all just my opinions.

Dallas: My hometown, great place to live, but to visit frankly not a whole lot to do.
Things to do: Balpark at Arlington to see the Rangers, Lone Star Park if you fancy the horses. I'd also reccomend the 6th floor Museum (where Kennedy was shot), and the Meyerson (best accoustics in the world).
Nightlife: There are several different areas to venture. Addison home of the chain, Greenville for the pub/bar/restaraunt scene, Deep Ellum to see bands, and West End for the tourist thing.

Fort Worth: a fun place to spend a night.
Things to do: Go to the stockyards, the Kimble Museum of Art the best in the Southwest.
nightlife: Stockyards for two-stepping, Sundance square in downtown for bar/restarount scene.

Austin: My favorite place in Txas
Things to do: See the Capital Building, a great city to just spend time wandering, Barton Springs, and Lake Travis to cool off. Oh and ask someone about the bats
Nightlife: Two words, 6th Street

San Antonio: Cool city, with a different feel from anywhere else in Texas. It feels like such a mix of spanish and Mexican culture. this can be seen in everything from cuisine to architecture.
Oh yeah, and the Alamo will give you some perspective on why Texans are so proud of their heritage.
nightlife: The Riverwalk, a bit touristy but fun nevertheless

Houston: i am not the guy to ask on this one. Traveled there a lot on business so I have never spent much time checking out the city, though I hear Enron is a great place to see a game. I can tell you this, it is hotter than a threesome (humidity), and the traffic is bad. Plus I almost got carried away by a tornado last tiem i was there.

Big Bend: Few people outside of Texas are aware of this gem. it is an enormous park located about 200 miles east of El Paso. Great desert scenery, beautiful canyons, and some of the highest peaks in Texas. Guadalupe mountain, though not actually in Big bend, is about 8800 feet.

Other cool summer activities: Go tubing on the Guadalupe River, about halfway between S.A. and Austin. Must bring Tube and Beer
Willie Nelson has a great party on the 4th every year. I believe it is in Luchenbach, about an hour outside of Austin. someone correct me if I am wrong.

Sorry my message is a bit disjointed, hope it helps

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 08:02 PM   #5
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

<< Willie Nelson has a great party on the 4th every year. I believe it is in Luchenbach, about an hour outside of Austin. someone correct me if I am wrong.
>>

That's correct. I hope to go to one of those some day. I love Luchenbach. My Grandma live down the road for there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 09:17 PM   #6
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

grbh, thanks a lot for the info...most of what you said i wouldn't be able to find out about in a book....much appreciated, i owe you one...

FT, i'll be sure to check out that HD in Greenville!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

DJ, i'm gonna try and visit as many places as possible.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:31 PM   #7
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

You are welcome I hope you enjoy your time in Texas.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 02:46 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

hales..if in dallas, visit bob's steak and chophouse..
if coming to texas..hell, you can't find better food anywhere
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 03:33 AM   #9
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Austin is also the live music capital of the world and you can check out concert dates at austin360.com. 6th street is always nice and there is a place called the iguana grill by lake travis where u can watch the sunset on the lake while on a huge balcony about 400 feet up from the lake(the perfect place to take the honeys you meet at the club or elsewhere).
Old 01-24-2002, 03:38 AM   #10
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

there is also a swank art museum downtown(about 5 minutes from the capitol) its on the corner of lamar and gulaupe right by U.T. campus, the museum is real big on &quot;mordern&quot; art and has some absolutely crazy things to look at.