Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-04-2003, 09:26 AM   #1
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life is on a distinguished road
Default Who will be the go-to guy when the games on the line?

Definitley Nash, he has the touch!
Old 11-04-2003, 12:03 PM   #2
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default RE:Who will be the go-to guy when the games on the line?

Another stupid topic. Its Dirk hes the man. Did you even watch the playoffs last year? Original screen name as well!
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 01:39 PM   #3
mavs_afroman

mavs_afroman is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Who will be the go-to guy when the games on the line?

Nellie's pretty much already shown who its going to be in the only two close games of the seaon. The ball has definitely been going to one person in the 3rd and 4th quarter.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:06 PM   #4
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Do you really even need to ask? This is so painfully obvious that it makes the stoopid trades thread look like rocket science.

Dirk.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:19 PM   #5
hero = dirk

hero = dirk is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Who will be the go-to guy when the games on the line?

yeah i agree bogey... of course it's dirk! he is the man...

Muhahahaha...
hero = dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:21 PM   #6
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

yet another thought provoking poll.
It will be Dirk, it has to be Dirk, Nellie has said it's Dirk

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:23 PM   #7
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

I demand to know why Shawn Bradley isnt on the poll[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] some people just don't have a clue!
Old 11-04-2003, 02:28 PM   #8
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

No. No, it won't. The logic is there, but with Nellie there has never been logic.

Dirk has been "the man" on this team the last two years. In all of the "go-to" situations I can remember over that time, whether they be coming out of a time out, or needing a basket to tie or win, or any other similar situation, I bet I can count the number of times that Dirk took the shot on one hand.

Seriously, how many times did we bitch about this last year? Six? Seven times? Finley took the shot. Nash took the shot. NVE took the shot. I don't think we complained when Dirk took that shot, the thing was that the play rarely was for Dirk to take the shot.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:31 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

You're right Dooby.
It has to be dirk...but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be dirk. I'm sure you get my drift.

'when the games on the line' isn't necessarily that specific to begin with....but, I'll assume that we're talking about the last shot.

But, perhaps 'when the games on the line' is talking about crunch time. I suppose we should ask the originator of this thread to see exactly what he meant.

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:32 PM   #10
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

The beauty of the Mavs is that we multiple final shot options. I'm not sure why the media (most recently Pinto/Ortegel) want to push for there to only be one guy to shoot the final shot. This is a team. We have more than one guy who can be clutch for this team. We should take advantage of the best match-up. For one who can get the shot off the best. Keep the opponents guessing. Why is that bad?

kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:35 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
The beauty of the Mavs is that we multiple final shot options. I'm not sure why the media (most recently Pinto/Ortegel) want to push for there to only be one guy to shoot the final shot. This is a team. We have more than one guy who can be clutch for this team. We should take advantage of the best match-up. For one who can get the shot off the best. Keep the opponents guessing. Why is that bad?
Thank you for stating the obvious that the Mavs are indeed a team.

However, there is one player on the 'team' that is more effective and efficient at putting the ball in the basket whether it's by making the shot and/or getting to the line.

No, Dirk shouldn't get the shot when 'the games on the line' every time, but he should have a rather commanding lead in the amount of times that it goes to him compared to anyone else.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:37 PM   #12
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

well acording to my trusty per 48 minute stats, Bradley is still the obvious guy to go to when the game is on the line.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:38 PM   #13
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Thank you for stating the obvious that the Mavs are indeed a team.

However, there is one player on the 'team' that is more effective and efficient at putting the ball in the basket whether it's by making the shot and/or getting to the line.

No, Dirk shouldn't get the shot when 'the games on the line' every time, but he should have a rather commanding lead in the amount of times that it goes to him compared to anyone else.
Thanks for stating the obvious as well.

I realize Dirk's greatness and because of this he should have the lion's share of the shots, but when "game is on the line" if he doesn't have the most favorable match-up, don't you agree that he shouldn't be force fed the ball just becasue he is "da' man"?
Old 11-04-2003, 02:38 PM   #14
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

If we're talking about a tight game then the answer is Dirk.

If we're talking about taking a game-winning shot out on the perimeter, I would have to say either Dirk or Steve.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:40 PM   #15
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I would >prefer< to have Dirk as the go to guy but Nash is an awfully tempting choice as well. His ability to draw fouls and still make those circus shots is incredible.

But with five offensive options, we will have five go-to guys. It's just the way Nellie is.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:44 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:

Thanks for stating the obvious as well.

I realize Dirk's greatness and because of this he should have the lion's share of the shots, but when "game is on the line" if he doesn't have the most favorable match-up, don't you agree that he shouldn't be force fed the ball just becasue he is "da' man"?
The most favorable matchup will be dirk more often than not. There are only a handful of guys that can remotely guard him in the NBA. Now, that doesn't mean that Dirk takes the last shot every time..just that the offense should run through him

On to Mary
Mary, I can agree that if it's a three pointer that's needed, then yeah..nash makes sense as well.

But, to be honest, I'd like to know what exactly the author of this thread means by 'when the games on the line'
Old 11-04-2003, 02:50 PM   #17
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Dirk needs to be the go to guy. He's the best player and can score from anywhere on the court. I doubt if we will have a go to guy, but he definitely should be.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:53 PM   #18
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
don't you agree that he shouldn't be force fed the ball just becasue he is "da' man"?
No. If you have a top 5 or 6 player, he should always get the ball for the last shot. I'll take my chances with Dirk going one on one with anybody in the league. What Dirk has to do is sense the double team and find the open man if they send someone at him. The problem is, who do you leave?

Old 11-04-2003, 02:59 PM   #19
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I think Nash gets the touch coz he's a great free throw shooter. Then he swings it to whoever is open or has a mismatch. It really depends on who is guarding who at the time. That's just how Nellie is.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:00 PM   #20
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
don't you agree that he shouldn't be force fed the ball just becasue he is "da' man"?
No. If you have a top 5 or 6 player, he should always get the ball for the last shot. I'll take my chances with Dirk going one on one with anybody in the league. What Dirk has to do is sense the double team and find the open man if they send someone at him. The problem is, who do you leave?
I agree with you in principle. But with as talented a team that we have, Dirk is NOT always the best option. I'm not saying don't give it to him at all, I'm just saying realize that the Mavs are not a one man team and they don't have to be so.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:16 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying don't give it to him at all, I'm just saying realize that the Mavs are not a one man team and they don't have to be so.[/quote]

sure king, but history tells us that when the poopy hits the fan two things are for certain: 1.you want you superstar to have the ball to win or lose you the game (cuz he IS you best option simply because he is a superstar and that is what they do) and 2. get away from the guy throwing poop!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 03:22 PM   #22
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
I'm not saying don't give it to him at all, I'm just saying realize that the Mavs are not a one man team and they don't have to be so.
sure king, but history tells us that when the poopy hits the fan two things are for certain: 1.you want you superstar to have the ball to win or lose you the game (cuz he IS you best option simply because he is a superstar and that is what they do) and 2. get away from the guy throwing poop![/quote]

LOL! And the sike man, come through.

I don't doubt that more often than not, Dirk will be the best option and if so then go to him, but many in the media and some in this forum are so wrapped up in anointing the "one go-to guy", and all I'm saying is that offensively, the Mavs were constructed to create multiple scoring options with the ball going to either the one most open or the one with the best matchup. So, let that continue to be our strength, and so for the last shot, the opponents are always kept guessing.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:24 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

and what everyone else is saying is this:

dirk is the best option almost regardless of who he's matched up against.

Not always the best option, but more often than not.

Go through team by team and look at their starting rosters and think "who would be the best mismatch for the mavs". Most of the time it'll be Dirk.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:24 PM   #24
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'm not saying don't give it to him at all, I'm just saying realize that the Mavs are not a one man team and they don't have to be so.
sure king, but history tells us that when the poopy hits the fan two things are for certain: 1.you want you superstar to have the ball to win or lose you the game (cuz he IS you best option simply because he is a superstar and that is what they do) and 2. get away from the guy throwing poop![/quote]

The goto guys doesn't mean that you are a one man team. The year MJ made his 1st return from retirement he droped a double nickle on the Nicks in the Garden. One of the best offensive games that I've ever seen. There was no question that MJ was the goto guy on that team. But the bulls won the game on a Bill Wennington layup. MJ made the pass to the wide open Wennington under the basket. A goto guy almost always touches the ball. Even when not he is made a very active decoy. But it is a team game. The purpose of the go to guy is to get his team the best shot. The reason why you have one is so the team can learn their roles in a goto situation. It is not to have the goto guy shoot it everytime.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:26 PM   #25
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
and what everyone else is saying is this:

dirk is the best option almost regardless of who he's matched up against.

Not always the best option, but more often than not.

Go through team by team and look at their starting rosters and think "who would be the best mismatch for the mavs". Most of the time it'll be Dirk.
I concur with that point.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:30 PM   #26
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
sure king, but history tells us that when the poopy hits the fan two things are for certain: 1.you want you superstar to have the ball to win or lose you the game (cuz he IS you best option simply because he is a superstar and that is what they do) and 2. get away from the guy throwing poop!

The goto guys doesn't mean that you are a one man team. The year MJ made his 1st return from retirement he droped a double nickle on the Nicks in the Garden. One of the best offensive games that I've ever seen. There was no question that MJ was the goto guy on that team. But the bulls won the game on a Bill Wennington layup. MJ made the pass to the wide open Wennington under the basket. A goto guy almost always touches the ball. Even when not he is made a very active decoy. But it is a team game. The purpose of the go to guy is to get his team the best shot. The reason why you have one is so the team can learn their roles in a goto situation. It is not to have the goto guy shoot it everytime.[/quote]

I agree with all those points too. I guess Murphs question above is most valid, in that what did the person who started this thread mean by "when the game is on the line".
Old 11-04-2003, 03:31 PM   #27
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

The goto guys doesn't mean that you are a one man team. The year MJ made his 1st return from retirement he droped a double nickle on the Nicks in the Garden. One of the best offensive games that I've ever seen. There was no question that MJ was the goto guy on that team. But the bulls won the game on a Bill Wennington layup. MJ made the pass to the wide open Wennington under the basket. A goto guy almost always touches the ball. Even when not he is made a very active decoy. But it is a team game. The purpose of the go to guy is to get his team the best shot. The reason why you have one is so the team can learn their roles in a goto situation. It is not to have the goto guy shoot it everytime.[/quote]

I feel it LRB, and this is the direction that Nellie is pushing Dirk...did you see the pass he make last night from the post to Walker for the layup?...beautiful.

I think everyone is pretty much saying the same thing: the ball (whether to be shot\driven\passed) more often than not needs to be in his hands when a close game is coming to an end...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote