Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-09-2003, 02:59 PM   #1
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default Mavs Defense past 2 games

I have to say on the whole I was very impressed with the Mavs defense the past 2 games. I thought their man to man defense has been nothing short of above average lately, and the ball rotations have also been pretty good on the defensive side.

It seems like they've abandoned the zone that was killing them in miami and washington, and gone with the traditional man to man. also it was interesting to note that when they did go zone, it was with 4 of the holdover mavs.

your thoughts...
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2003, 03:04 PM   #2
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Mavs Defense past 2 games

I agree, I just wish that we could do things well on the other side of the court...
How many teams have out-rebounded us so far? We seemed to give up a lot of offensive rebounds last night.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 03:06 PM   #3
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I agree. Seems like Nellie is giving them the chance to work on some man-man defense. I like that. It gives them a chance to show that they can play defense. They still need to work on some zone though. Finley was good defensively last night. For a moment, Fortson was giving Rose problems.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:14 PM   #4
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Can you imagine if we start to stop teams liek we're doing AND start to score again? We'll be unstoppable!
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 03:19 PM   #5
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Mavs Defense past 2 games

I must agree that we have played very well defensively. A lot of that in the SA game has to do with playing Jamison more minutes.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:23 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Good topics. Especially the rebounding ones.

Even last night we were only out-rebouded by 4. Out ORebounded by 3. Even though the third period was horrid.

Right now the mavs are staying pretty close on the rebound spread. They are losing the battle by .43 rebounds/game. Last year it was closer to about 5. This should be a big success story if we can also get the offense going.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 03:31 PM   #7
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Continuing the rebounding discussion which is my hot spot this year.

Walker/Jamison have been huge upgrades in the offensive rebounding department. Getting 22 and 19 respectively so far. Jamison definitely seems to be real quick around the basket.

What that hopefully says to me is that the end of game lineup of stevie/finley/jamison/walker/dirk will be a pretty decent rebounding team which is all I can really hope for. If that happens we will be ALLRIGHT BROTHA!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 03:43 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

We've only really been getting killed from the three

next stop NOH. Oh crap.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 04:35 PM   #9
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

Is it possible that Nellie is focusing on one thing at a time? First getting the zone schemes down... then man to man... then he will work on the main offensive schemes one at a time also. Maybe he was willing to struggle with the zone through whole games just to get his guys really familiar with it.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 04:56 PM   #10
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

I think he needs to focus on getting Dirk Jamison and Walker to jell together. He made that first step in the SA game. Just keep doing it.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:37 PM   #11
Turkey
Banned

Turkey can only hope to improve

Iwish Dirk stopped taking stupdi shots.
Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 08:06 PM   #12
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Maybe part of it is that the new mavs haven't grasped the mavs Zone schemes. Or the new mavs are so much more athletic then the old ones and are capable of playing man to man. Its an interesting observation Aex.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 08:55 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs have played better defensively the past two games. However, I beileve it has alot to do with two inept offenses.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 09:06 PM   #14
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road

I have to partially agree with Murph. I think they have been playing better defensivily and looking at the scores and whatching the last two games it is obvious. However, giving up 73 and 78 pts partially had to due with style of play. Neither game was and up and down the court Mavs-run-and-gun style. Both were claw and scratch and fight affairs. When the Mavs were blazing last year, people ragged the Mavs D and we were all quick to point out that the pace of the game we play leads to more possessions for each team and higher scores. Now the opposite is true. slower pace slugfest = better looking Mavs D.
LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 11:12 PM   #15
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

We did keep the spurs to 11 points in the last quarter, so I guess we did something right. Hope nellie keeps doing it (wishful thinking, of course).
Old 11-09-2003, 11:37 PM   #16
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
Can you imagine if we start to stop teams liek we're doing AND start to score again? We'll be unstoppable!
wishful thinking.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 12:53 AM   #17
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Thats definitely true too.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:41 AM   #18
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

[quote]
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz
Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
wishful thinking.[/q

Fanatik33, what leads to you to believe that this team can both stop teams and score at the previous pace?...the have not proved that they can do both, maybe the days of high scoring and third quarter chalupas are gone, maybe Nellie has changed this team into the early ninties Pistons...maybe I'll buy one of those sleezy looking Mavs dancers calendars....but probably not[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

they can improve, but they will never be a team that "stop"s teams...oh, they can in spurts(but in today's NBA, it will more likely be teams shutting themselves down with poor shooting, passing etc....oh how I long for the day when a guy consistantly hitting a seventeen foot jumper was expected and not lauded!), but they will never be a shut down defensive team....not with the style they play and the coach they have.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 11:39 AM   #19
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

The basic theory behinds mavs basketball is to out man a team offensively and play enough defense so that the opponents offense can't keep up. Well, what these past games have proven is that their zone can't stop any offense. The man-to-man is a better defensive option right now. And, that the mavs offense isn't there yet.

The key, therefore, is to get this offense to run on all cylinders. That means early transition baskets. That means making open 3-pt shots. That means developing the new "34" wrinkle (of having 3 forwards on the floor).

That doesn't mean the defense is not important too, but let's face it the philosophy of this team is let's just outshoot them. Will this be the year that Nellie finally proves that? Maybe, or maybe it will never work. As Mavs fans we just get a front row seat to the biggest basketball experiment in the world.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 12:39 PM   #20
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

The less zone right now the better, now if the shots just start dropping . . .
Old 11-10-2003, 01:12 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by: [b]kingreThe key, therefore, is to get this offense to run on all cylinders. That means early transition baskets. That means making open 3-pt shots. That means developing the new "34" wrinkle (of having 3 forwards on the floor).
that means Steve Nash

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 05:13 PM   #22
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
[i]Originally posted by: [b]kingreThe key, therefore, is to get this offense to run on all cylinders. That means early transition baskets. That means making open 3-pt shots. That means developing the new "34" wrinkle (of having 3 forwards on the floor).
that means Steve Nash
Ya know it brutha!
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote