Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-10-2003, 07:22 AM   #1
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road
Default New Mavs team right around the corner?

I didn't really notice it... but the Mavs have had a tough schedule so far and have fared nicely considering the circumstances.

The Mavs started the season on the road, and against, most likely, the toughest team in the league... after making a major trade a week before, so essentially without a training camp.

The Mavs started the season playing 5 of their first 7 games on the road.

The Mavs WILL play 6 of their next 7 games at home.

And 10 of their next 13 games at home.

In their first 2 games at home the Mavs are averaging 115 points per game.

Things should look much, much brighter in the next 13 games. Our team should finally start really coming together... they do face some tough teams -- SA, Minny, Portland, and LA -- but they are all home games and nationally televised.

Schedule
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2003, 08:21 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:No trades? -- New Mavs team right around the corner Anyway!

hope you're right about the future ReDirk(maybe all they need is time to gel...maybe they need a lot more), but loses to the Freakin' Wiz and Raptors?....I don't see how losing to two sub-par teams FROM THE EAST can cause us to do anything but shake our heads....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:32 AM   #3
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Both of those games were without Nash... and without a training camp essentially and with 2 new "point guards". Like I said... considering the circumstances i think we are doing pretty good.

A huge part of basketball, especially offense, has to do with confidence/ familiarity. The Mavs havn't had a chance to gain any. With this nice stretch of home games I think the Mavs will thrive. Especially considering their track record in home games so far. it is a small sample... but IMO it is accurate.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
Old 11-10-2003, 09:05 AM   #4
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
hope you're right about the future ReDirk(maybe all they need is time to gel...maybe they need a lot more), but loses to the Freakin' Wiz and Raptors?....I don't see how losing to two sub-par teams FROM THE EAST can cause us to do anything but shake our heads....
Yeah, that sucked, but you know what? The kings lost to Denver and the Celtics. Minnie lost to Utah and New Jersey. San Antonio with Duncan lost to freakin' Memphis. It just goes to show everyone is struggling, even LA lost to the hornets.

One thing I'm noticing is the east gaining ground on the West, games may not be so lobsided to the western teams this year.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:13 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs haven't had a 'tough schedule' so far. Many of the teams that they've played have also been without some of their big name players. Many of the teams they've played are just plain bad.

You couldn't ask for a much easier six game stretch to start out the season (basically two good teams, and one was without their two best players the other without their second best player)
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 09:32 AM   #6
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
The Mavs haven't had a 'tough schedule' so far.
Last season only 43% of our first 7 games were road games. This season, 71% of our first 7 games have been road games. That is quite a contrast.

Only 23% of our next 13 games are road games. Quite a contrast compared to 71%.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:40 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is 'quite a contrast'.
It still doesn't change the fact that the mavs have not had a 'tough' schedule to start out the season.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:49 AM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't think that the whole home\away argument is subatantive. The reason they lost these games is not because they were away or because their opponants were too difficult neither was it that the opponant was a good team(other than LA)...the reason they lost is because they played like crap....yes they need more time to gel (will they?) and your Nash point is probably your best ReDirk, Nash means so much to this team, he makes it work, without him it doesn't!

I'm not sure I agree with the whole rough schedule thing, I don't think it has made a terrible difference one way or another....you really can't bring up last years stats when speaking of this year's team....they are not even closely the same team, so statistical comparison is probably unfair...but I do agree with the Nash comment, without Steve Nash, this team is the Blazers (without the toughness...and pot....and convictions[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]).

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 09:52 AM   #9
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
It still doesn't change the fact that the mavs have not had a 'tough' schedule to start out the season.
'Tough' is relative. Relative to last season the Mavs schedule has been tough these first 7 games.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:55 AM   #10
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
I honestly don't think that the whole home\away argument is subatantive.
Considering the contrast in scoring between our home games and road games I think that makes a huge difference in our evaluation of this team. And it seems we "gel" at home much more than on the road, considering that data.

Old 11-10-2003, 10:16 AM   #11
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Nellie needs to stop worrying about matchups for now and put the best 5 out there to play together for awhile. Let everyone get to know who can do what on the court for the next 5-7 games. Then he can go back to the matchup game.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 10:20 AM   #12
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan
Nellie needs to stop worrying about matchups for now and put the best 5 out there to play together for awhile. Let everyone get to know who can do what on the court for the next 5-7 games. Then he can go back to the matchup game.
Nellie is trying to balance the team's development with getting wins.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 10:20 AM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan
I seriously don't think the mavs 'best 5' will be the lineup that's the most effective. At some point, you have to factor in certain team needs such as defense and doing the little things.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:26 AM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

You've got to like what you've seen the last couple of games.

The shots aren't falling for the Mavs, but they're doing some good things.

They're rebounding with their opponents. When the shots start to fall (they're shooting under 43% for the season), the Mavs will be tough to deal with if they continue to rebound at this level.

They're defending the past couple of games. (Also, they're holding opponents under 43% for the season) Certainly, they were hideous defensively against Miami and Washington, but they were pretty good in that area against Toronto and San Antonio, playing a lot of man-to-man in the process.

If they can get through the first 20 games at around 10-10 but develop as a team that will rebound and defend, I'd be happy with that.

Old 11-10-2003, 10:37 AM   #15
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

My sentiments exactly KG, but you have to wonder if they'll keep it up once the shots do start to fall.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 11:01 AM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

My biggest problem has been the volume of open looks that the Mavs have allowed..that with the volume of offensive rebounds that they've given up at times. However, the overall rebounding has improved. I also believe that the low post defense has improved as the season has progressed.

It's a start. They still have a long ways to go. I'm sure alot of the improvement has to do with the level of play of the opponents. But, there are definitely some positives to take from the Mavs performances at times.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:04 AM   #17
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

I concur with KG & PF. Every now and then we see a "glimpse" of what this team can be when and if everyone gets on the same page. The question is how long it will take for that to happen.

Regarding the topic of this thread, it doesn't matter who the Mavs play or where they play them...until they get the kinks worked out and start to gell - they're going to stink it up. Hell, they could be playing the Plano East JV girls (not much worse than the Stackhouse-less Wizards) and stink. It's going to take one thing and one thing only....TIME!
Old 11-10-2003, 11:06 AM   #18
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
My biggest problem has been the volume of open looks that the Mavs have allowed..that with the volume of offensive rebounds that they've given up at times. However, the overall rebounding has improved. I also believe that the low post defense has improved as the season has progressed.

It's a start. They still have a long ways to go. I'm sure alot of the improvement has to do with the level of play of the opponents. But, there are definitely some positives to take from the Mavs performances at times.
It was incredible the rebound discrepancy between the Mavs and the Spurs in the 3rd quarter. I think at one point it was 18-2. And who stopped the bleeding(or applied a tourniquet would be a better description)? Although I don't think he did it by himself, but Fortson came in and gave them instant presence on the glass.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:16 AM   #19
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

In their first 2 games at home the Mavs are averaging 115 points per game.

In our first 5 road games the Mavs are averaging 86 points per game. A difference of 29 points per game! lol

That 127 point game might be throwing everything out of whack... but I think the 115 point per game average is much more indicative of the team we actually have than the 86 points per game average on the road.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:41 AM   #20
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
When your playing time is erratic and you're new on the team, that's not a very good combination," Best said. "When you have eight new players from the start and then after a few games of preseason, you make even another change, it's hard for anybody to adapt to that situation right away. And with the travel we've had, we haven't had a whole lot of practice time to work on what it is we need to get down. It's learn as you go. - Travis Best

Article - Mavs Hornets preview
Quote:
INSIDE THE MAVERICKS

Home stretch: The Mavericks played five of their first seven games on the road. Only three other teams have played five times on the road already. "We tend to look at the negatives as opposed to the positives," coach Don Nelson said. "But we haven't had the easiest of times. We have more road games than anybody else under our belt."

With the weekend's trade dither dying out, the Mavs now need to get over it and settle down, Steve Nash said Monday. "Everybody's trying to be sensitive to one another and help each other fit in," he said. "But sometimes, it's hard to try to fit in and still be yourself. We all need to do what we do best."

Old 11-11-2003, 08:25 AM   #21
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I think the Mavs schedule was ok. They caught a break with Duncan out of the SA game and they won that one. The Laker game was like a pre-season game to them. At least the losses have come against Eastern conference teams. I mean they beat Utah and SA. I'm looking forward to Nov. 29 when they see the Wolves. Let's see how good Minny has become.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:37 AM   #22
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

The Mavs are now averaging 118.3 points per home game. lol
Old 11-14-2003, 10:15 PM   #23
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Briefly ...

Coach Don Nelson said he believes fans may be taking it for granted that the Mavericks are going to have success on the road this season after they tied San Antonio for the league lead last year with 27 road wins. "It's never easy on the road," Nelson said. "Let's face it, we spoiled [everybody] and ourselves last year when we led the league in road wins, won 60 games and never had a bad day. It's harder out there than you think."