Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-23-2003, 03:17 PM   #1
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default A strange and twisted thought about Welsch

I was just thinking about something and thought I would share. Let's just suppose that Donnie knew that Walker was available and that Boston wanted either another star or a package with a budding young player. So when the Golden State trade starts coming together, Donnie was insistent that Welsch HAD to be part of the package. When the trade is done Donnie goes straight into ultra-hype mode (I'm sure he learned how from his daddy) and declares that Welsch was ESSENTIAL to the trade - we weren't going to make the trade without Welsch, etc.

And now Welsch is featured in the preseason and glowing words are spoken about him on a daily basis while the 60 day clock ticks down. Donnie calls about Walker again and offers the awful deal of Raef but reluctantly adds the budding star of Welsch. Ainge bites and an All-Star goes to the Mavs.

I was wondering about this because of the oddities of timing and hype. Could it be that Welsch was always intended to go to the Celts? The world may never know.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2003, 03:21 PM   #2
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:A strange and twisted thought about Welsch

Very plausible indeed.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:24 PM   #3
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

I don't know about that... but I thought it was interesting how much playing time Welsch got recently. I think Welsch was auditioning for Ainge in those games. So unbeknownst to him he was playing himself right out of the Mavericks team with every shot he made.

There definately is something fishy about this preseason. You might be right. This might have been planned from when we made the GS trade. But... Nellie did say he asked Jamison if he would be willing to come off the bench... so maybe it wasn't preplanned.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 03:28 PM   #4
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Donnie would never ever do anything like this. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2003, 03:40 PM   #5
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

actually, big Nellie sort of hinted to this very point on the Ticket a couple days ago...
said he was not that disappointed in losing him...not that surprised...when the deal came around And Welsch had to go..
good job Max...keep thinking...and always let us know when you actually do![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 04:36 PM   #6
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
good job Max...keep thinking...and always let us know when you actually do![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I don't know if I can do it very often - it makes my head hurt [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2003, 04:58 PM   #7
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Interesting thought. The fact that the timing was so dead on makes you have to wonder about this. I think Donnie made a good deal either way though. I'm not sure Ainge is a guy that can be fooled into a trade based on hype.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 05:00 PM   #8
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Here's another strange and twisted thought about Welsch: He becomes a 20ppg scorer.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 05:00 PM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I have about as much respect for Danny Ainge's mental prowess as I do for Bruce Bowen's free throw shooting.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:08 PM   #10
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I have about as much respect for Danny Ainge's mental prowess as I do for Bruce Bowen's free throw shooting.
I didn't proclaim Ainge to be a Rhodes scholar. But, the guy knows basketball. I doubt you could sell him crap by calling it gold. Of course, Donnie just raped him so what do I know?
Old 10-23-2003, 05:13 PM   #11
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Someone on a Celtics message board came up with a similar theory. He said that this deal was probably already done months ago, but they were waiting for the 60 days to expire.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 06:02 PM   #12
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: bogey
Interesting thought. The fact that the timing was so dead on makes you have to wonder about this. I think Donnie made a good deal either way though. I'm not sure Ainge is a guy that can be fooled into a trade based on hype.
The thing that makes it unusual is that it is Donnie doing the hyping. Donnie has this reputation as a guy who knows his foreign players and Welsch is a prospect that Donnie supposedly tried to acquire before that draft. Maybe this was Donnie trading on his reputation.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:11 PM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Here's another strange and twisted thought about Welsch: He becomes a 20ppg scorer.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 09:17 PM   #14
bogey
Banned

It would not stun me at all for Welsch to end up an All star. He's clearly not that now, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:36 PM   #15
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
It would not stun me at all for Welsch to end up an All star. He's clearly not that now, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Well he'll have a much better chance with the Celtics and plenty of PT instead of sitting on the end of the bench in Dallas. This just wasn't the best situation to develop his talent.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:57 PM   #16
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:

Old 10-24-2003, 12:39 AM   #17
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

if welch can be a 20 pts scorer, why cannot j-ho, daniels, or stafansson?
Old 10-24-2003, 12:42 AM   #18
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
It wouldn't have suprised me to see Courtney Alexander be an All-Star with his resume out of college. Yet he wound up as a borderline NBA player.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:46 AM   #19
superheadcat

i have a bold prediction: next time mavs trade taw for anyone who is not a defensive stud, people will start saying taw would be a double double player.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:08 AM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now everyone believe the hype. Everyone wants one. Its a log!
Old 10-24-2003, 06:12 AM   #21
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Old 10-24-2003, 12:13 PM   #22
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Old 10-24-2003, 12:17 PM   #23
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Old 10-24-2003, 04:07 PM   #24
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Old 10-24-2003, 04:12 PM   #25
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Old 10-24-2003, 04:18 PM   #26
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

what does crying wolf have to do with anything?

You are saying I am a homer because I think it is a knee-jerk reaction to say (after Jiri Welsch is gone) that he will be a phenom?

Even if he averages 20 PPG, Would he have started for the Mavs? Would he have gotten us closer to a championship?

The guy does nothing but get stripped last year, and he has a nice showing in summer league and preseason and suddenly he's a 20ppg guy. Do you trust Nellie or not? Nellie's opinion of him and a few good but meaningless showings (where he never scored 20 pts once) are the only evidence he will be good.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:48 PM   #27
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Oh so you've given up and decided to resort to words?

The title of this thread is "A Strange and Twisted Thought About Welsch".

In my opinion, the strangest and most twisted thought for a Mavericks' fan is that Welsch might go on to become a player who could've been a viable replacement for Fin. That would be a bitter irony indeed. Welsch almost certainly needs a couple of more years of development, and it was looking for a few days there like he might possibly be ready to play about the time that Fin had started to decline. There's very little chance that he would've made THE key difference for the Mavs this year, no guarantee at all that he would turn out to be another Ginobili. But that kind of player, a hungry player with talent, is fun to watch and is often able to infuse a team with energy and big plays, and I was, pre-trade, giving Nelson credit for having assembled a bench of young, talented, athletic players with potential--Howard, Welsch, Daniels--from whom one could very well emerge as a successor to Fin. Now Welsch plays for Boston.

The consolation would be to see Nellie get hoisted on his own petard. Again. And count on it, I'll bring it up.

Old 10-24-2003, 05:10 PM   #28
superheadcat

sure, every mavs player will become hungry and talented once they are traded away, see, even raef does.

taw will be the next.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:11 PM   #29
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
taw will be the next.
If only.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:08 PM   #30
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Quote:
Wow...imagine if the Mavs had another 20ppg scorer. That might finally put them over the hump.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:09 PM   #31
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Could come in handy a couple of years down the road.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:06 PM   #32
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Here is a strange and twisted thought about Welsch and Lafrentz

Our stars that we traded to Boston are actually shining

Raef LaFrentz is alread injured...again. He was put on the injured list this morning.
Jiri Welsch is averaging 2.4ppg shooting .286 from the field and just .143 from three
Old 11-14-2003, 11:08 PM   #33
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Trade's working out in Dallas's favor.

So far.

Old 11-14-2003, 11:10 PM   #34
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Raef was put on the IL.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:14 PM   #35
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Kinda warped to gloat as the result of a player's injury, huh.

<Unless it's Shockey.>
Old 11-14-2003, 11:15 PM   #36
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
So far.
Thats funny.

Walker is averaging 16.3ppg on .463 shooting averaging 9.8 rebounds per game and 4.8 assists.
Delk was averaging 10.7 ppg on .426 shooting with 4.3 rpg 1.3 ast and 1.43 steals per.

Also its not gloating- it was part of the trade that made it sweeter. LaF is injury prone- Im not glad he's injured; Im just glad we dont have him any more.

And LaFrentz has already shot 22 threes for the Celts and only hit 3 of them. Ill gloat about that. I'll also gloat about him playing 22.3 mpg and averaging LESS THAN A SINGLE FT/G