Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-14-2003, 10:09 PM   #1
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Big Match up! Carter vs. Brady

The Matchup:
Quincy Carter vs. Tom Brady

The Game:
Cowboys at Patriots, Sunday, 8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN

The Question:
Who will get the best of this matchup? Click here to vote!

Quincy Carter Tom Brady

By Mark Schlereth
Special to ESPN.com
It's not by some stroke of luck that the Cowboys have the NFL's No. 1 ranked defense. They're young, fast and athletic. Tom Brady and the Patriots are going to have to contend with the likes of Terence Newman and Mario Edwards, two of the league's best cover corners. These two guys are incredibly physical, which is almost an oxymoron when talking about cover corners. And with Roy Williams and Darren Woodson at safety, the Cowboys have one of the most formidable defensive secondary in the league.

If Brady has success, it will come at a price. He's going to get hit. The Patriots don't have a stellar running game, so the onus will be on Brady to stand firm in the pocket and produce -- it's not going to be easy.

Although the Cowboys also lack an explosive running game, they've been very committed to it. And Quincy Carter is developing into a solid NFL quarterback under Bill Parcells and Sean Payton. Carter's got a big offensive line and a threesome of wide receivers in Terry Glenn, Joey Galloway and Antonio Bryant that is as good, or better than any bunch in the league.

Meanwhile, the Patriots are getting significant playing time from rookie defensive backs Eugene Wilson and Asante Samuel. Against the Cowboys' speedy veteran wide receivers, Carter is definitely poised to have a more successful outing than Brady.

By Sean Salisbury
Special to ESPN.com
Simply put, Tom Brady is the better quarterback in this matchup. Not only is he more experienced, particularly in big-game situations, he is also the model of consistency, completing close to 60 percent of his passes this season.

Brady's arm strength is highly underrated. It seems like every time I look up, he's completing another big pass down field. And he is as poised and confident as any quarterback in the league -- not a lot rattles him. Even when he's not playing well, he knows how to roll with the punches and do what it takes to help the Pats win.

Brady knows Dallas is going to blitz, but he's seen his share of blitzing teams. He'll utilize his quick release -- he'll be in the shotgun enough -- and they'll run a lot of screens and short passes to help him get the ball out before Dallas' defense can get to him.

Remember, it's been 80 degrees in Dallas and it's going to be cold in New England, which should be an advantage for Brady.

Finally, when it comes to game planning against individual players, no coach is better than Bill Belichick. He'll go after Carter in areas Carter didn't know existed. Carter will need to be thinking the entire game. If he takes two snaps off, it could mean a costly fumble or interception which could be the difference in this game.

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2003, 01:40 AM   #2
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Big Match up! Carter vs. Brady

Brady without question.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 05:40 AM   #3
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally posted by: bogey
Brady without question.
Cant say I am to surprised to hear that from you, why do you dislike Quincy(you know, the guy you call, whatever it is you call him, #17 for the Cowboys, THE starting QB) so much?
Old 11-15-2003, 01:18 PM   #4
arsenalth9

arsenalth9 is on a distinguished road

Quincy will be better, one of his flawless nights.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:18 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Carter needs to start playing better and playing better soon. No, I don't think he'll be benched if he doesn't. However, I do believe he needs to start playing better than he has in the past three weeks or the 'Boys will look at the possibility of bringing in another QB next year in my opinion.

Now, I do believe that he will bounce back and play better than what he has in the past few weeks...I'm just stating that he better do so.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 05:20 PM   #6
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

First off of course Id rather have Brady he is a boarderline franchise qb and a superbowl winning qb. Brady hasn't faced the leagues number one rated defense though. Remember McNabb and Bledsoe have looked very mortal against the Cowboys D. I think QCard may outplay Brady in this one.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 06:35 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
First off of course Id rather have Brady he is a boarderline franchise qb and a superbowl winning qb. Brady hasn't faced the leagues number one rated defense though. Remember McNabb and Bledsoe have looked very mortal against the Cowboys D. I think QCard may outplay Brady in this one.
Of course, the Bills and Eagles offenses have looked pretty anemic on the season as a whole.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 06:37 PM   #8
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: QCarFan
Quote:
Brady without question.
Cant say I am to surprised to hear that from you, why do you dislike Quincy(you know, the guy you call, whatever it is you call him, #17 for the Cowboys, THE starting QB) so much?

Hate to start it this way after being away from the site for a while, but QCARFAN, you seem to be missing the point here. Brady has a superbowl ring and has gone thru much more pressure than quincy who has never played a playoff game in his life. I do like quincy but to say that quincy is better than quincy would be a homer statement. Quincy is doing okay but he has ways to go to be ragarded as a great or a good QB. Let us just hope he reaches there. BTW, just a fact for you- Brady was also the superbown MVP.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:42 PM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I do like quincy but to say that quincy is better than quincy would be a homer statement.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Perhaps you meant to say: "I do like quincy but to say that quincy is better than Brady would be a homer statement. "
Old 11-15-2003, 07:05 PM   #10
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
I do like quincy but to say that quincy is better than quincy would be a homer statement.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Perhaps you meant to say: "I do like quincy but to say that quincy is better than Brady would be a homer statement. "
You are right. But I want to reiterate that even if NE loses this game, they still have a comfortable lead over their division opponents whi makes Brady a better player again.

Old 11-15-2003, 11:43 PM   #11
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Here is a Boston article on Quincy vs. Belichek's defense. I am interested to see the game. It is a big test for our offense. For us to win, I think we need a game with zero or 1 turnover. I think we can play with them if we don't make any stupid turnovers. If Galloway is out, I would like to see Bryant with a big game. If so, Galloway may have started his last game as a Cowboy.
Dallas needs QB to pass test
By Karen Guregian
Saturday, November 15, 2003

FOXBORO - Forget Big Bill vs. Little Bill. The matchup that's going to matter most when the Cowboys and Patriots [stats, news] clash tomorrow night will be this one: Quincy Carter vs. Bill Belichick.

Does anyone really think the young, inexperienced Dallas quarterback has any shot of figuring out a Belichick/Romeo Crennel defense on his first try? Especially with the latter duo having two weeks to prepare, devise and scheme?

On paper, anyway, this looks to be a bigger mismatch than Classic Coke vs. New Coke.

No doubt, Cowboys coach Bill Parcells has done his absolute best to try and prepare Carter for all the Belichick traps that lie in store for him tomorrow night.

If anyone has a handle on the complexities and intricacies of a Belichick/Crennel defense, it's Parcells. Knowing the Tuna, he's probably spent every waking minute this week trying to get inside his quarterback's head, trying to school him and help him deal with every confusing look the Pats are likely to throw at him.

But as great as Parcells is at motivating and preparing, he can't be out on the field when Carter steps up under center and peers out at all the wacky looks Belichick and Crennel have likely cooked up for the third-year player, who will be making just his 25th start.

The Tuna can't be out there trying to audible at the last instant with the decibel level from the crowd noise at its peak. He can't be out there reading the unreadable.

Hello, Quincy Carter. Welcome to your NFL nightmare.

The Pats defense is never the same from week to week. For that matter, it's rarely the same series to series, play to play. There are always new wrinkles, different sets. Belichick doesn't leave calling cards on film.

If Carter is able to figure it out, and post more points on the board than the Patriots, especially now with top receiver Joey Galloway's status uncertain (strained quad), hats off to him.

During the week, the former University of Georgia quarterback, who was taken with the Cowboys' first selection (53rd overall) in the 2001 draft, admitted the Pats have the most complex defense he's seen on film to this point.

''They get into these six and seven defensive back, two lineman, two linebacker (sets). . . . You don't really know who's in the game,'' Carter said. ''It's going to be a very good challenge for us on offense to identify their defense, their defensive players, to know where everybody is coming from.''

Even Indianapolis Pro Bowl quarterback Peyton Manning looked inept on his first crack at deciphering Belichick's defense.

Naturally, the Pats coach downplayed the significance of having longer to prepare, and having a history of devouring young quarterbacks. He also had nothing but the highest praise for Carter, currently the 10th leading passer in the NFC.

''Quincy is very athletic. He has a very good arm. He can make all of the throws. He has got a ton of talent,'' Belichick said. ''He can run, he can scramble, he can make plays with his feet, but he is also very accurate like (Titan Steve) McNair, down the field, throwing long balls and hitting big plays.''

Carter, however, is not McNair just yet. Right now, his role in the offense is primarily a complementary one. His No. 1 job has been to avoid making mistakes, avoid turning the ball over, and thus far, he's performed the role well.

Of course, Parcells didn't want to build up his quarterback too much. In doing so, he hit on the underlying point.

''He's putting the time in, but there are things that he's not experienced enough to understand,'' Parcells said during a conference call this week. ''So we go piecemeal and try to accentuate the things he does well and try to minimize the things he is doing poorly.''

Sunday night will be Carter's biggest test to date. Knowing whose defense he has to beat, knowing whose schemes he has to crack, it's hard to imagine him passing.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 12:29 AM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
I think Carter needs to start playing better and playing better soon. No, I don't think he'll be benched if he doesn't. However, I do believe he needs to start playing better than he has in the past three weeks or the 'Boys will look at the possibility of bringing in another QB next year in my opinion.

Now, I do believe that he will bounce back and play better than what he has in the past few weeks...I'm just stating that he better do so.

I agree. This is the game that he needs to go all out on. These last couple of weeks the beginning of the game Quincy has missed an open reciever deep down field. I think that is the turning point in every game. He hits that I think it determines whether or not he will have a good game that day. He has got to hit that reciever. Every is blaiming defenses on stopping Galloway but I think it's Quincy locking up on 1 reciever. Quincy MUST have a good game this week. Just for the Cowboys confidence.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 03:40 AM   #13
QCarFan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Quote:
Quote:
Brady without question.
Hate to start it this way after being away from the site for a while, but QCARFAN, you seem to be missing the point here. Brady has a superbowl ring and has gone thru much more pressure than quincy who has never played a playoff game in his life. I do like quincy but to say that quincy is better than quincy would be a homer statement. Quincy is doing okay but he has ways to go to be ragarded as a great or a good QB. Let us just hope he reaches there. BTW, just a fact for you- Brady was also the superbown MVP.
Well, first off I never said Quincy was better than Brady, and I don't think he is right now. But I dont think you can say, without question he is better. It's alot closer now than it has ever been, and I think some consideration can be made that Quincy is not to far behind Brady. Quincy has had nothing but an ophill battle since he has been in the league and has gotten better, and that's not from having a Drew Bledsoe as the starter or a teacher, it's from sure will, dedication, hard work, and a great coach. Brady had the good teacher in Bledsoe, and the good coach since day 1. Brady hasn't had to go through different offenses year in and year out as Quincy had to, and had to deal with a head coach who couldn't coach his way out of a plastic bag. Brady was also not just thrown into the fire either, as Quincy was he sat and learned the game from DREW BLEDSOE. Hell, I can't remember the QBs who were here during the Quincy Carter era, that's just how bad it was then. He didn't have his confidence played with either, with being benched for a guy who was/is just horrible because a kicker missed a FG or extra point or whatever it was. Those are things Quincy has had to deal with, and some of those things may of hurt his development IMO. I don't think it's far-fetched at all to see Quincy being right behind Brady right now, and possibly being better if he continues to work hard, dedicate himself and accept the teaching Parcells, Payton, and Carthon will continue to give him.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:38 PM   #14
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Nothing like blindly following your favorite player.

But seriously...Quincy Carter being compared to Brady? Give me a break. Brady has performed and has a Super Bowl ring. Period. Carter is an improving QB that hasn't done much in the NFL. If you think this season gives Carter credibility then you don't know football. Carter could end up a good QB and he has surprised a lot of people. Parcells can do that for underachieving or average players. However, to even consider Carter to be at Brady's level right now is as mff said "homerish". You are either blindly making statements or you are trying to drum up some kind of argument. Seems silly to me. It's obvious that you like carter but don't make blind statemetns when someone factually critiques him. It destroys the little credibility you >might< have on this site.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:57 PM   #15
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quincy Carter's name doesn't even deserve to be in the same sentence as Tom Brady's. I'm not even sure it deserves to be in the same sentence as David Carr - at least he's played an entire season [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 03:46 PM   #16
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

That is no matchup at all, the game should be a good one though. This is a huge chance for the Cowboys to prove themselves on national television. GET 'EM READY BIG TUNA!
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 04:02 PM   #17
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Brady should definitely be a huge favorite over QCar until Qunicy proves himself for more that half a season. BTW when was the last time Carter got the Cowboys into the post season much less brought home the Lombardi trophy?
Old 11-16-2003, 04:47 PM   #18
bogey
Banned

Exactly folks. At least most people get it.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:50 PM   #19
QCarFan
Golden Member

Default RE: Big Match up! Carter vs. Brady

sure DB
Old 11-16-2003, 07:05 PM   #20
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
sure DB
Thanks for that in depth post, QCarFan....

I am looking forward to today's game for several reasons, but the most important is to watch and see how Quincy reacts under immense pressure. I would have thought that Buffalo would have put more pressure on Carter, but they seemed commited to trying and stopping the run. I don't think New England will do the same, I think Belichek knows that he needs to attack Carter and force him into making mistakes. I expect alot of blitzing today from the New England D.... I am looking forward to seeing if Carter can make them pay for that.

I am patiently optimistic....
Old 11-16-2003, 07:12 PM   #21
bogey
Banned

U2- I thought Buffalos defense was pretty effective. The Dallas defense was as well. Neither offense showed up last week.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:16 PM   #22
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
U2- I thought Buffalos defense was pretty effective. The Dallas defense was as well. Neither offense showed up last week.
I agree. The Buffalo Defense was very effective. I was anticipating them blitzing alot more than they did to try and shake up the young, unproven QB of ours.

But what they did do was very effective... both Defenses in the 4th Quarter were a thing of beauty.