Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-09-2003, 02:27 AM   #1
thewillis12

thewillis12 is on a distinguished road
Default Marc stein actually agrees with us for once :)

Jackson Davis (Fort Worth): how can you put the Lakers ahead of The Refs? They pounded the mavs last week.

Marc Stein: I was there and on this one I have to agree with you (and Mr. Cuban). The crew of Forte, Brothers and Fehr had an absolute shocker.

thewillis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2003, 08:46 AM   #2
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default RE:Marc stein actually agrees with us for once :)

Officiating has been horrible on some nights but its even worse in football with pass interference. Edwards and Newman have PI tatooed on their backs.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:56 PM   #3
Razor

Razor is on a distinguished road

Maybe the NBA should add 3 more refs per game and limit some of the refs on what they can call. Would that help or hurt?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 03:04 PM   #4
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
Officiating has been horrible on some nights but its even worse in football with pass interference. Edwards and Newman have PI tatooed on their backs.
I'll have to defend the NFL on officiating. There is no other league more commited to quality officiating. That is why they commited themselves to instant replay and spent tons of money getting it right. Every call is reviewed, and they are rated on thier performance on calls. You will see NFL officials risking personal injury to be in position to make a right call.

The NBA has no committment to quality officiating. It's as if NBA refs report to the marketing department, when they really should be a completely separate entity.

NBA officiating is closer to WWF.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:08 PM   #5
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Maybe but how many nfl officiating crews can you name. You shouldn't be able to recognize crews on how they call games.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:12 PM   #6
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: jacktruth
Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
I'll have to defend the NFL on officiating. There is no other league more commited to quality officiating. That is why they commited themselves to instant replay and spent tons of money getting it right. Every call is reviewed, and they are rated on thier performance on calls. You will see NFL officials risking personal injury to be in position to make a right call.

The NBA has no committment to quality officiating. It's as if NBA refs report to the marketing department, when they really should be a completely separate entity.

NBA officiating is closer to WWF.

It is sad... but I agree with this. And Shaq is Hulk Hogan at his peak in this scenario.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:22 PM   #7
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen NFL crews get stuck on calling (or not calling) pass interference penalties on certain players. Like when Kevin Smith came back from that achilles injury and would get whistled just about every time a ball came his way, whereas Prime Time would constantly be pawing all over the guys he was defending and never get called for it. That said, IMO the NFL is definitely on a higher level than in the NBA as far as officiating goes. They usually have the angles covered better, do a better job of conferencing after plays to make sure they get the call right, and don't try to make themselves the center of attention by handing out unsportsmanlike conduct penalties all over the place.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:14 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I also appreciate the NFL refs. For example last week when malone elbows nash. You would think one of the other refs would walk over and tell the other one that per the rules that guy HAS to be thrown out.

But then they would what...lose face... Basketball refs are absolutely the worse. Even in pick up ball they get an attitude and call junk once you get on their wrong side.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:41 PM   #9
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Marc stein actually agrees with us for once :)

I like a lot NFL officiating. And it grows to the sky with the challenge feature.

Imagine if the NBA added "challenges" by the head coaches. Either the games would last 10 hours or the refs would improve to a respectable level.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:53 PM   #10
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
I like a lot NFL officiating. And it grows to the sky with the challenge feature.

Imagine if the NBA added "challenges" by the head coaches. Either the games would last 10 hours or the refs would improve to a respectable level.
Noooooo, I would rather not, thank you . As much as I hate it when we don't get calls, I'd hate it even more if we had to stop for challenges. There's enough stoppage of play as it is.

I don't mind it in football simply because the way the NFL is constructed - with only 16 games and a single-elimnation playoff system, officiating can have a much greater impact on the outcome of a season.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:12 PM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually might not be too bad to have x number of challenges.

1. The stupid refs would get used to having to defend their calls. Not just put their heads in the sand or one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.... THE MAKEUP CALL! Nice to be on the recipient of that one.

2. Coaches would probably save them for either
- Flagrant fouls (ala malone, he would have been gone).
- 4th, 5th fouls on players.
- At the end of games. I'm sure they would save them like timeouts.

Heck the worst it could do if you had something like two challenges each would be to add 5-10 minutes to a game.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote