Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-09-2003, 11:35 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shaq on Nash and Malone's Elbow

I pulled this from Kingsfans.com which didn't provide an original link, so I don't know if this is the whole article, or what the title was (I checked the LA Times and I don't think this article is from that source). Provenance aside, I figured all and sundry would want to read this. I only hope the Mavs have some of the Nash comments posted up in the locker room before this Friday's game...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We got bored," Shaquille O'Neal said. "Phil [Jackson] kept telling us, 'Don't get bored.' But we did."

An hour before the start, Shaquille O'Neal wore a snug white jersey with Malone's No. 11 in the locker room and spoke of Malone's impact through 19 games. "It's fun having him out there, having another dog out there," O'Neal said. "He's a phenomenal person, a phenomenal player."

O'Neal claimed he would finish his career with Malone … in five years. So, Malone would retire at 45? "Yeah," he said. "That's what he told me."

"I'm glad he's here, I'm glad Gary's here," O'Neal said, "and hopefully we all can end our careers here together. ... I know he (Malone) wants to play five years. I know Gary wants to play about four or five years."

"He's a phenomenal person, a phenomenal player," O'Neal said. "We already had two big dogs (O'Neal and Kobe Bryant) on the team. Now it's four legitimate angry dogs on the team and it shows in our play. Got balanced scoring. And on any given night, any one of the 'Fantizzle Fizzle' can go off. For white people, that's 'Fantastic Four.' . . . It's my first time playing with a legendary power forward."

"Somebody stole my jersey," O'Neal said with a half-crooked smile. "I've got to wear Karl's."

"So I don't even know why Nash would stick his face in there anyway, trying to get a steal," O'Neal said. "Anyway, the rule is you can turn. Did he maliciously throw the elbow? No. Did he turn and his elbow was there? Yes. . . . This goes out there to all the other teams: You put your face in there, you get your chops knocked up."

O'Neal said if he had played longer with Malone that he'd have six rings instead of three. "I wouldn't talk to you guys (in the media)," O'Neal began joking. "My jersey would already be retired. I'd have a statue in the front instead of Wayne Gretzky. It'd be a lot different. I would have my extension by now," he said and laughed.

"You've just got to let these little guys know that they can't come in there," O'Neal said. "That's not really being dirty. So has he (Malone) done a lot of stuff to get people up off him? Yeah. Have I done a lot of stuff to get people up off me? Yeah. That's because they don't enforce the rules that they write down."

[On Karl] "He's a hard-nosed player who does a lot of stuff to let you know he's not soft," O'Neal said. "But he's not dirty."
Old 12-10-2003, 12:00 AM   #2
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default RE:Shaq on Nash and Malone's Elbow

Oh how I wish the Lakers self-destruct and lose so we can see all this lovey-dovey go away!
Old 12-10-2003, 12:03 AM   #3
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

The Lakers are getting another great confidence builder before our matchup. They have like a 9 or 10 game winning streak going... i am sure the refs will do all they can to protect that.

Here is another great remark..

"I'm a big guy that trained myself to take a lot of bumps and bruises. If a Volkswagen hit a Mack truck, who wins? So they're making these cars nowadays out of aluminum and plastic. They made 'em out of metal back where I'm from."
-- F Karl Malone, in the Dec. 9 LA Daily News, discussing his reaction to serving a one-game suspension for elbowing Mavs G teve Nash in the face while attempting to protect the ball after a rebound.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:11 AM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Shaq on Nash and Malone's Elbow

As much as I hate Malone I have to give him credit. His biggest contribution to that team has been as a stabilizing force in the locker room. Without him and Payton they would have imploded in pre-season.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:27 AM   #5
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

How did they get kobe to finally tone it down and play team ball? That is the real miracle.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
Old 12-10-2003, 01:02 AM   #6
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

Articles like this make me want to post Jimmy Kimmel's brilliant deconstruction of Karl Malone on "The Man Show":

"I saw that movie 'Handball' with Anfernee Hotchkins. There wasn't any handball in that. Just some white dude trying to eat another white dude."

Karl Malone, drivin' a truck for the Lord.....
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 01:09 AM   #7
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

How about instead of trying to injure their bodies, we concentrate on injuring their pride by giving them a whoopin on national TV. I, for one, would get far more satisfaction out of a win then I would out of a retaliatory cheap shot.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:11 AM   #8
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

grandmstr... do you know that Malone intentionally dislocates Dirk's shoulder every time we play him?

Old 12-10-2003, 01:34 AM   #9
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
How about instead of trying to injure their bodies, we concentrate on injuring their pride by giving them a whoopin on national TV. I, for one, would get far more satisfaction out of a win then I would out of a retaliatory cheap shot.
I'd love to put a HUGE dent in his so called "metal frame"..oh how nice it would be to see Malone get a taste of his own medicine, win or not..ofcourse yes i would prefer the win along with it
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 02:30 AM   #10
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
grandmstr... do you know that Malone intentionally dislocates Dirk's shoulder every time we play him?
I am well aware of how big an a-hole Karl is. It just occurs to me that the best way to hurt a guy who just took a huge paycut to play for a team with so many top notch scoring options that it may very well jeapardize his chances of becoming the league's all time leading scorer all so that he can ride someone elses coattails to a championship (whew, out of breath after that)...is to beat him on the scoreboard. Now, if (or should I say when) he cheap shots one of our players again, I very much hope that someone on our team will get in his face, and if some sort of melee insues, well, so be it. Maybe then the league will be forced to discipline him the way he deserves to be disciplined. I just think there are better ways to hurt him than by sending him to the ground, and I honestly feel we've got a better chance of getting the better of the Lakers in basketball than we do of getting the better of Malone at the game he plays.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:38 AM   #11
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Well, it is pretty tough to win agame when one of your best players is in the locker room getting his injuries taken care of. we might have won that game if Nash had been on the court in that 3rd quarter.

I really just don't want to see a guy like Malone win the championship. And I don't think the league will ever do anything about him. We could overcome his dirty play when he was in Utah, but with Shaq AND the dirty play... and Phil plays dirty against the Mavs anyway. It is going to be tough.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:37 AM   #12
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
That's easier said than done considering the Mavs haven't won in LA. I'm just interested to hear what Nellie is going to say before the game.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:55 AM   #13
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

See, this is why I didn't want Karl Malone here. I hate the way he plays. I hate dirty players. It's what makes this leaque sickening (combined of course with the refs cooperation). And don't think I'm saying it only now. I always have. They can have him, because I can't force myself to cheer on that sorry bastard.

I agree that a win is the best revenge, but if that win also included a shot on malone, I wouldn't be sad.

Two words. . .Shawn Bradley. Malone HATES Shawn Bradley. Shawn has a similar fondness to him, and he's got the kind of elbows that can put an eye out.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 01:33 PM   #14
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't mind beating the lakers and sending malone a personal message. How about a well served facial alley-oop from Nash to Dirk?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2003, 01:35 PM   #15
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

That would NEVER be allowed by the Mailman... He would hack Dirks arm and he would be out again... I think I would rather just a bullrush from Fortson if anything!!! But mainly, I would just love to see a victory in LA...
Old 12-10-2003, 01:43 PM   #16
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

The mailman can't stop what he can't see....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] That would be the cherry on top of a victory.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:49 PM   #17
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I despise LA cockiness!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 03:02 PM   #18
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
I despise LA cockiness!
What I despise even more is the fact that they have ample reason to be cocky.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 03:08 PM   #19
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
Quote:
I despise LA cockiness!

oh how I long for a reason to be so cocky....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 12-10-2003, 04:30 PM   #20
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I despise LA cockiness!

This can be interpreted many ways. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 04:34 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: Shaq Attack2
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I despise LA cockiness!

This can be interpreted many ways. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
but I only meant it in the clean way.......Shame, shame you gutter mind![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]