Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-27-2003, 11:11 PM   #1
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default Rangers sign Brian Jordan, close to signing David Delluci

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Outfielder Brian Jordan and the Texas Rangers agreed Saturday to a one-year contract that guarantees him $1,375,000.

The former All-Star hit .299 with six homers and 28 RBI in 66 games last season with the Los Angeles Dodgers before surgery July 11 for tendinitis in his left knee. He is expected to be at full strength when spring training starts.

"Last year, the surgery was a tough decision, but I had to make a decision based on my career," he said. "It was a decision to get healthy, and start over with a new team at 100 percent."

General manager John Hart said the signing of Jordan, who is expected to play right field, is another indication that the proposed trade of MVP shortstop Alex Rodriguez to Boston really is dead.

Rangers owner Tom Hicks ended talks Tuesday with the Red Sox, who were going to send outfielder Manny Ramirez to Texas.

"The signing of Brian solves our situation," Hart said. "We're going forward with Brian in the outfield and Alex at shortstop."

In 1,271 games over 12 seasons with St. Louis, Atlanta and Los Angeles, Jordan hit .287 with 173 homers and 764 RBI. He was an All-Star with the Braves in 1999, when he hit .283 with 23 homers and 115 RBI.

Jordan became a free agent when the Dodgers didn't exercise a $10.5 million option, instead paying a $2.5 million buyout.

After Jordan become a free agent, his agent also spoke with the New York Mets, Colorado Rockies, Kansas City Royals and St. Louis Cardinals.

Jordan's deal calls for a $1.25 million salary next season, and the contract contains a $4 million mutual option for 2005 with a $125,000 buyout.

He would earn $50,000 bonuses for 400, 450, 500, 550 and 599 plate appearances. In addition, he would get $125,000 if he is traded or has 650 plate appearances.

Texas returns just three outfielders who played last season, two rookies and a second-year player who combined to play just 110 games.

The Rangers also are close to an agreement on a $725,000, one-year contract with outfielder David Dellucci, who played for Texas manager Buck Showalter in Arizona from 1998-2000. Dellucci's deal is expected to be finalized Monday.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:52 PM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: Rangers sign Brian Jordan, close to signing David Delluci

Although i'm not a Rangers fan, that was a good signing. Brian Jordan is a good outfielder and a decent hitter. I remember hating seeing him step up to the plate when he was with my least favorite team(Braves). I think if he's put behind A-Rod, he'd be real effective.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 02:07 AM   #3
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Rangers sign Brian Jordan, close to signing David Delluci

I wonder how healthy he is.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:32 AM   #4
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Rangers should never sign anything but Pitchers !!!!
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 12:36 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Rangers sign Brian Jordan, close to signing David Delluci

By all accounts, Jordan is healthy. This was a very good signing. Low risk...high reward. At worst, he is good trade bait to a contender (assuming the Rangers won't be) at the trade deadline.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 11:45 PM   #6
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Delucci's done.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:24 AM   #7
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

ohhh yipee!!! another outfielder when we should be looking at some pitching. Man, the Rangers drive me crazy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 04:22 PM   #8
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Ranger should look for ground ball pitchers such as Maddox and kevin brown instead of more outfielders or any other positions besides pitcher for that matter. I don't care how cheap or a good trade bait brian jordan is. The Rangers just not addressing their needs.

Get ground ball pitchers or rebuilt the damn ball park.

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote