Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-11-2004, 10:08 AM   #1
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default More room for adjetives

Tucson basketball player was tackled by fans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

TUCSON, Ariz. -- A Tucson High School basketball player has been left partially paralyzed after being tackled by fans celebrating his game-ending dunk Friday night.

The Arizona Republic reported on the story in Tuesday's editions.

Joe Kay, a senior and starting forward, capped Tucson's 62-54 victory over Tucson Salpointe Catholic with an exclamation slam. A group of fans overtook him after flooding the court, coaches who reviewed film of the game told the Republic. Kay suffered a fractured jaw and a torn carotid artery -- the carotid supplies blood to the brain -- and subsequently suffered a stroke, according to the newspaper's report.

Kay, a 4.0 student who has a full volleyball scholarship to Stanford, remained in intensive care Monday, listed in serious condition at the University Medical Center in Tucson. There were signs of improvement: Kay ate breakfast and said a few words, Tucson coach Gary Lewis told the Republic.

Lewis recalled in his interview with the newspaper the moments after which Kay got up and walked over to his coach with assistance.

"I got on one side and we walked him over," Lewis said. "Just before we got to the locker room, he couldn't walk at all, and we had to drag him in.

"We knew something was serious. Joe is a great communicator and he wasn't speaking at all. He wouldn't respond to us anymore."

Tucson students on Tuesday were told of Kay's injuries over the public address system, the Republic reported. Counselors were available on campus.

Kay turned 18 on Saturday. Tucson has a game Tuesday night, and Arizona's Class 5A playoffs begin in a week.

"When I left him [Monday], he gave me the thumbs up, as if to push everybody through this," Lewis told the Republic.

Dick McConnell, who coaches Tucson Sahuaro and coached Lewis in high school, consoled Lewis at his home Sunday. McConnell also watched film of Tucson's postgame.

"To think that could happen ... ," McConnell said. "When they said what happened, I had chills." McConnell had surgery in the previous week to remove plaque building on his carotid artery.

Old 02-11-2004, 11:33 AM   #2
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future
Default RE:More room for adjetives

thats terrible...my thoughts are with him and his family

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Default RE: More room for adjetives

Strange.

I haven't seen the replies saying

Stupid Americans
No class
Not cool
Drop the bombs in Tucson

Old 02-11-2004, 06:53 PM   #4
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
Strange.

I haven't seen the replies saying

Stupid Americans
No class
Not cool
Drop the bombs in Tucson

This was a very unfortunate freak accident that happened through celebration at a highschool basketball game..atleast that is the way I interpreted it. I dont believe any hostility or harm was intended.

What the mexican fans did in the soccer game against them showed no class and poor judgement that did nothing but portray their ignorance and immaturity.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:29 PM   #5
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
What the mexican fans did in the soccer game against them showed no class and poor judgement that did nothing but portray their ignorance and immaturity.
Agree. However, the Osama ranting -in the game between the US and Canada- and the urine didn't harm -physically- any of the players.

Your fellows harmed really bad a young high school player for having dunk the ball: harmed physically a countryman. I wonder which ignorance and immaturity is worse.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:36 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Chiwas, this was obviously a complete accident. It doesn't appear to be deliberate in any shape or form. Yes, I'm sure everyone feels horrible about the accident. However, that's what it was. It was an accident. Can things be done to make sure accidents like this do not happen again? Sure, of course they can AND should. We can only hope and pray that this young man makes a full recovery.

I do find it rather disgusting that you would compare this incident to what happened between the US soccer players and some of the Mexican fans.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:56 PM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

Yes, agree almost in everything.

But I myself find rather disgusting that urine and "go home, Yanks" kind of stuff IN A SOCCER GAME -which means nothing-, provokes more adjectives or posts than an issue really serious happening in your own yard.

Old 02-15-2004, 02:11 PM   #8
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Edited for offensive personal attack.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 03:44 PM   #9
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
Yes, agree almost in everything.

But I myself find rather disgusting that urine and "go home, Yanks" kind of stuff IN A SOCCER GAME -which means nothing-, provokes more adjectives or posts than an issue really serious happening in your own yard.
I don't understand what REALLY SERIOUS thing happened. It was an ACCIDENT. There was ZERO intent to harm the young man, he was hurt in a celebration.

???

++++
http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/health/9429.php
Partially paralyzed athlete talks a little
Prep basketball player injured in post-game stampede
By Scott Simonson
ARIZONA DAILY STAR

Joe Kay is forming words and sentences amid his mostly unintelligible speech, is eating and is enjoying visits from well-wishers.

The Tucson High School senior basketball player is showing signs of progress after he was partially paralyzed on Friday when fans stormed the home court following a victory, his parents said Tuesday.

He was listed in serious condition in the intensive care unit at University Medical Center on Tuesday.

"We're not completely sure he knows the extent of what might be in front of him," said his mother, Suzanne Rabe, a law professor at the University of Arizona.

Rabe and Fred Kay said most of what their son says is garbled or unintelligible, but some words come out clearly.

When former Tucson High boys volleyball coach Tom Lundy visited on Monday, Joe Kay said, "Coach Lundy is here."

"Just as clear as day," Rabe said.

Kay, an honor student who earned a scholarship to Stanford to play volleyball, has received hundreds of visitors and is eating well, his mother said.

The parents said they don't know how the on-court student celebration caused Kay's ruptured carotid artery, which rendered him unable to move his right side.

Fred Kay said that as students stormed the floor, his son was surrounded by a group of fans chanting, "Joe Kay, Joe Kay." Then he lost sight of Joe.

Somebody may have attempted to tackle or lift Joe Kay during the celebration, his father said, and it seems that Kay's "neck was torqued" after the fall.

Kay attempted to get to his feet but could not, Fred Kay said, and teammates dragged him to the locker room.

Stanford officials assured Kay's parents that his admission will remain open for a few years and his scholarship honored regardless of his ability to play. "It's very generous," Fred Kay said.

The Tucson High basketball team on Tuesday played its first game since Kay's injury. The school planned a 20-member security detail for the game, a group including Tucson Unified School District security staffers, high school administrators and teachers, said Estella Zavala, a TUSD spokeswoman. Game results in Sports

The start of the game against Mountain View was delayed by 40 minutes to honor the Badger seniors and their parents.

Among those present were the parents and family of Kay, who would have played in his final home game had it not been for Friday's accident.

The Kays received a two-minute standing ovation from the crowd at Tucson High's gym as they were presented with their son's No. 30 jersey in a frame.

Students in the stands wore T-shirts with Kay's name and number on them. Badger basketball players also honored Kay by wearing white headbands with the No. 30 written in red. Tucson High won the game 68-55.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 11:12 AM   #10
Chiwas
Guru

This makes the case worst.

It was an accident, while celebrating they harmed the boy. Isn't it a savage act?

What do you do when get angry?