Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-23-2002, 10:42 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Friday, February 22

Maggette dislocates fingers slamming scorer's table
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Corey Maggette of the Los Angeles Clippers, who dislocated the ring and little fingers on his right hand while pounding the scorer's table in frustration, was placed on the injured list Friday.

Already suffering from a mild concussion and a nagging knee injury, Maggette reacted during the Clippers' 119-102 loss at Orlando on Thursday night. Averaging 11.1 points and 3.9 rebounds in 53 games this season, he will miss a minimum of five games.

"Corey's probably going to be out for quite a while," Clippers coach Alvin Gentry said following the Orlando game.

The Clippers said Maggette's return will be projected at a later date. Maggette wasn't replaced on the active roster, meaning the team has 11 players on its active roster, with Lamar Odom also on the injured list and expected to be sidelined at least two more weeks because of a sprained ankle.

Darius Miles, Quentin Richardson and Elton Brand are also not at 100 percent physically.

"It's frustrating, especially at this time of year, when we're fighting for a playoff spot," Gentry said of the injuries. "You've just got to deal with it. It's OK when it's one or two injuries here or there, but somehow we're now talking about five or six guys and all of them are key guys. We're running out of guys."

The Clippers (27-29) return to action Saturday at Indiana in the third game of a five-game road trip. They play seven of their next eight games on the road, where they have a 7-19 record this season.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2002, 10:55 PM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Did you see that on Sportscenter?

I thought, are you CRAZY?! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

What a dumb decision.
Old 02-23-2002, 11:01 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Immaturity is all it is - that's the reason the Clips are folding right now, the team hasn't got a mature solid role model. The Mavs had Finley and that's one of the reasons the team is so professional.
Old 02-24-2002, 02:04 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope he gets fined. The Clips pay him a lot of money to play...not to throw a tantrum and hurt himself. Fine his butt.

Doc
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 06:23 AM   #5
Joe Joe
Banned

Joe Joe is on a distinguished road

Anyone of you all watch the game by any chance? Did you see why he threw the "fit"? Just curious as to why he would throw a fit like that. Refs don't give the young clippers any calls, plain and simple. Play through it, but don't throw fits. I think Maggette through a fit, and he is now paying for it in the end. Little that you know Drbio he is paying for it, Maggette wants to play every game. Not to be out there is like a fine, and a suspension.

MFFL, with Odom out they don't have a "solid role model", when he gets back you have to think that would change. He is the leader of that team and they have played without him for a while, and you have to think in some of the losts he would have made a difference. The Clippers aren't making excuses though, they are true professionals. I don't care who you are but if on any given night you have to play without "your best player"(Odom), your leading scorer & rebounder(Brand), scorer off the bench(Q), energy off the bench(Miles), back-up SF,was starter without Odom(Maggete), back-up PG(Dooling) then you are going to lose some games. That's just reality man, I hate to see what that team is like with all their guys healthy. They have beaten Dallas twice along with all the other top teams, so they have shown they can play with anyone. They now have 25 games left, if they want to make the playoffs they better start playing. It wont be easy to make the playoffs in this league, that's for certain.
Joe Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 10:33 AM   #6
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< ... with Odom out they don't have a &quot;solid role model&quot;, when he gets back you have to think that would change. He is the leader of that team and they have played without him for a while, and you have to think in some of the losts(losses) he would have made a difference... >>

Odom is a good player but &quot;solid role model&quot;? LOL. If it were my team, I don't think I want impressionable young people anywhere near the guy. He is probably a great guy on a personal level. The world is full of great guys with drug problems that are bigger than they are. Yes it is only a little pot but still... How much time and money has that pot cost him, not including reputation?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 02:48 PM   #7
Joe Joe
Banned

Yeah with that being said, his teammates, fans, coaching staff, and organization still loves the hell out of him so that should tell you something. There's nothing wrong with his reputation, and if a guy say he doesn't have a drug problem then he don't. I can see if a guy went into rehab, or said he had a problem. I have never seen a guy to this day who has a &quot;pot&quot; problem, lol only thinking about it makes me laugh. Now it is not your team now is it David, it is Odoms. How much time and money has his Basketball got him David? A lot more than any problem has caused him, now am I right? While I personally really don't care if they make the playoffs, but for you to hate on the Clippers for the many obvious reasons is ridiculous.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:35 PM   #8
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Don't speak to disparagingly of the Clippers. The Clippers have the most talented squad in the NBA. Very athletic guys. By next year, The Clips might be better than The Mavs.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 09:50 PM   #9
Joe Joe
Banned

Hey Epitome, that's exactly what I am trying to tell some of the guys here. Barring injuries this team would be easily a 4-5 seed in the West. Yes that's a big statment but I do strongly believe that. The Mavs haven't had many key injuries as the Clippers had this year. They aren't using it as excuses but you have to think that a healthy Clipper squad would be better than they are now. They are litterally the walking wounded right now, not just Odom out. There top 8 guys have all been out at some point in the season, and I dont care who you are if that many of your key guys are out you wont make the post season. I give them all the credit for atleast still having a chance to make it to the post season this year.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:02 PM   #10
David
Golden Member

&lt;&lt;Yeah with that being said, his teammates, fans, coaching staff, and organization still loves the hell out of him so that should tell you something.&gt;&gt;

People on drugs are still people. They can be popular or unpopular. Popularity has nothing to do with. The world is full of nice guys and gals who are on drugs.

&gt;&gt;There's nothing wrong with his reputation, and if a guy say he doesn't have a drug problem then he don't.&lt;&lt;

If you new anything about it, you would know that denial is one of the first things an addict or alcoholic does. What comes out of a person's mouth doesn't signify the truth just because a person who casually knows them thinks he's a great guy.

&gt;&gt;I can see if a guy went into rehab, or said he had a problem. I have never seen a guy to this day who has a &quot;pot&quot; problem, lol only thinking about it makes me laugh.

Horse manure. If you don't think pot is a problem, then you don't know much. It is really a debate for another forum but in short, pot is a drug like other drugs. It's probably less a problem than alcohol but truth is, no one really knows all the effects of pot. It seems relatively harmless but it may not be as harmless as it seems.

&gt;&gt;Now it is not your team now is it David, it is Odoms.&lt;&lt;

Last time I looked, Donald Sterling owned that team. Sterling can trade Odom or let him walk from &quot;his&quot; team. How many drug suspensions has Odom had? How many before they kick him out of the league?

&gt;&gt;How much time and money has his Basketball got him David? A lot more than any problem has caused him, now am I right?&lt;&lt;

Sure Odom has made a living undreamed of by the average joe, or JoeJoe, but how much salary has his non-pot problem cost him? Anything more than zero is too much on my side of town. I'm sure you high rollers can take the hit, but I don't like to. If his problem costs him his spot in the league, how is that going to work out for him?

&gt;&gt;While I personally really don't care if they make the playoffs, but for you to hate on the Clippers for the many obvious reasons is ridiculous.&lt;&lt;

You have been predicting that the Clippers will make the playoffs for quite some time and now that they are falling back of the final spot a little, you are backpedaling. Who says I hate the Clippers. I LIKE the Clippers for the future, just not this year. For what &quot;many obvious reasons&quot; would I have for hating the Clippers?
Old 02-24-2002, 10:06 PM   #11
Joe Joe
Banned

Theres no 3 strike rule on Marijuana is what a certain player told me.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:10 PM   #12
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

hahahhahahahahhahahahahhaaa
Old 02-24-2002, 10:50 PM   #13
MFFL
Guru

<< Theres no 3 strike rule on Marijuana is what a certain player told me. >>

Tell that &quot;player&quot; you know that he is wrong.

Here's the link

© 1998 Philadelphia Newspapers Inc.
The Philadelphia Inquirer, October 9, 1999

NBA enforcement officials, ready to police the league's new drug policy, will visit each team before Nov. 2, the day regular season begins.

For the first time, testing won't be restricted to cocaine and heroin. Marijuana has been added to the list.

On the day of the unannounced visits, players will be notified during practice that they will be required to provide urine samples before leaving.

Not only players, but head coaches, assistant coaches, trainers and other team personnel are subjected to the latest regulations.

&quot;I couldn't be happier,&quot; said Larry Brown, the 76ers' head coach. &quot;I think it's great for the league, especially with the fact that all on-court personnel has to be a part of it. It sends a great message to kids out there and to the general public that we understand our responsibilities and we're taking care of it.&quot;

&quot;It's long overdue,&quot; point guard Eric Snow said. &quot;Why not? If it's illegal, it's illegal. People shouldn't do it. There may be a lot of people that feel differently than I do. But that's how I see it.&quot;

In a national survey of 25,500 drug users conducted by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and released in August, 60 percent reported using marijuana only, suggesting that marijuana is the most frequently used illegal drug.

Even before the results of that survey were released, the NBA felt questioned why the National Basketball Players Association would oppose testing for marijuana.

Cocaine and heroin had been covered by the NBA's anti-drug policy since the early 1980s, when the league's image of being drug-infested helped account for acres of empty arena seats. But when numerous incidents involving players and marijuana began cropping up, the league became determined to cover marijuana in its policy.

&quot;There was a time when our image was absolutely terrible,&quot; commissioner David Stern said recently. &quot;We never want to return to that again.&quot;

Marijuana testing was approved by both sides in January during collective bargaining.

From now through at least the 2003-2004 season, everyone covered by the policy will be tested at least once during the four-week preseason. Rookies will be tested three more times, randomly and without notification, each season. Veterans will be tested during the preseason only.

Anyone testing positive for cocaine, heroin or other &quot;hard drugs&quot; will be barred from the NBA for two years, Russ Granik, the NBA's deputy commissioner, said yesterday.

&quot;They will be gone,&quot; he added. &quot;No ifs, ands or buts.&quot;

Those who test positive for marijuana, Granik said, will &quot;go into a treatment program after the first offense. They're fined for the second offense. And any additional offenses will lead to more fines and subsequent suspensions.&quot;
Old 02-24-2002, 11:06 PM   #14
Joe Joe
Banned

&quot;Those who test positive for marijuana, Granik said, will &quot;go into a treatment program after the first offense. They're fined for the second offense. And any additional offenses will lead to more fines and subsequent suspensions.&quot;

This is what you said right? Exactly what I said, please admit you were wrong and once again I am right! There's no 3 strike rule on Marijuana, well that's what the article just said.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:21 PM   #15
David
Golden Member

Since there is no three strike rule for pot that means Marijuana, and the suspension for using it, is no problem?
Old 02-24-2002, 11:39 PM   #16
MFFL
Guru

I'm confused as well. After 3 instances (strikes) of marijuana use, the player is suspended. It's not as tough as the program on hard drugs, but it's still a suspension.

Why am I discussing this?
Old 02-25-2002, 12:10 AM   #17
Joe Joe
Banned

I am right, MFFL you are wrong and the article proves it. I didn't say if it was a problem or not, however I did say that if someone says it is not a problem, then I believe them. The obvious here is that you are wrong MFFL, and I would appreciate it if you would admit it. It's a suspension, but not kicked out the league such as David said. Once again fellas I am right, and you all are wrong. Just admit it, and get over it fellas. Hey everyone has been wrong before, believe it or not even me.
I find it amazing you guys change your argument when you are proven wrong, interesting!!!

Lamar supports his 2 kids, wife and other family members too, that's alot more than he was able to do when he wasn't playing ball. So anything he has made has been a plus, and as long as he is able to take care of his family he is doing good.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:50 AM   #18
MFFL
Guru

<< I am right, MFFL you are wrong and the article proves it. I didn't say if it was a problem or not, however I did say that if someone says it is not a problem, then I believe them. The obvious here is that you are wrong MFFL, and I would appreciate it if you would admit it. It's a suspension, but not kicked out the league such as David said. Once again fellas I am right, and you all are wrong. >>

You don't read your own posts, do you? You said

I even quoted you. I didn't respond to David - I responded to you. I proved that there is a 3 strike rule. I provided a link. You are not responding in a manner that is consistent with someone who wants to contribute to the forum. I won't miss you.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:01 AM   #19
Joe Joe
Banned

There is no 3 strike rul on Marijuana, and the article say that exactly. MFFL, is there a 3 strike rule? According to the article there is no 3 strike rule on Marijuana, just as I said. Now that I proved you wrong, you want to start crap about &quot;I wont miss you.&quot; Man come on, that's not necessary. Just admit the fact that you were wrong man, and end it.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:03 AM   #20
MFFL
Guru

Good bye Joe Joe - you won't be missed.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:21 AM   #21
Joe Joe
Banned

Do you post stuff like that every time you're proven wrong MFFL. The fact of the matter is, this thread or section is not for you to say &quot;you wont be missed.&quot; I just proved you wrong obviously, and you are that mad that you post crap like that. Man, that's amazing just be a man and admit you were wrong. We are all wrong at 1 point in time, even you!
Old 02-25-2002, 05:44 PM   #22
David
Golden Member

<< I didn't say if it was a problem or not, however I did say that if someone says it is not a problem, then I believe them. >>

Someone says there is no problem but the drug test shows that there is. How many drug tests does a guy have to fail before there is the first suspension? I believe Odom is on his 2nd suspension. There are several failed tests before you get that far. Here is a guy who knows he's going to get tested, and his livelihood depends on it, and still they find the substance in his system during the drug test. And yet he says there is no problem.

Don't the suspensions and fines get progressively more servere? The NBA &quot;life time ban&quot; is 2 years. How many times does Lamar have to fail a test before it gets to a year or two? No one knows. It has never gotten that far. And you assume that Donald Sterling is going to put the future of his multi-million dollar investment in the hands of a guy on pot. I don't believe Sterling rolls that way. He is another that doesn't relate well to the young black athlete.