Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-23-2004, 05:21 AM   #1
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default Good news...Americans fight the worst pregnancy related illness..

A national campaign to end fistula -- the most devastating of all pregnancy-related disabilities -- was launched in Uganda this week with the participation of the First Lady, Janet Museveni. Through the campaign, 12 regional hospitals will receive much-needed equipment and supplies for fistula surgery, and local doctors will be trained in surgery and post-operative care. Advocacy activities will also take place to raise awareness about the problem and efforts will be made to include fistula training in the curricula of medical institutions. (…)

Obstetric fistula is a preventable and treatable condition, yet more than 2 million women remain untreated in developing countries. Fistula is caused by prolonged and obstructed labour, coupled with a lack of appropriate medical intervention -- typically a Caesarean section -- to relieve it. The woman is left with chronic incontinence and in nearly all cases the baby dies. (…)

The UNFPA is leading the first-ever Global Campaign to End Fistula. The long-term goal is to make fistula as rare in developing areas as it is in industrialized countries today. The campaign is currently providing support to more than 20 countries in sub-Saharan Africa, ArabStates and South Asia. Fistula initiatives in Uganda are largely supported through grants from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the Government of Finland.

http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2004/afr838.doc.htm

Old 03-24-2004, 04:19 PM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Good news...Americans fight the worst pregnancy related illness..

I don't like Bill Gates but I like Bill Gates' Foundation.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:24 PM   #3
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Good news...Americans fight the worst pregnancy related illness..

Then you like Bill Gates I'm afraid Chiwas. I like Bill Gates too. He is a noble soul somewhere down deep.