Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-23-2004, 10:51 AM   #1
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cowboys - who do they get now

The Cowboys seem to still have quite a bit of money left for FA. Who do they go after now? Is their any true FA out there that could help them, and they would consider getting, or are they waiting on the "second" round after June 1?

Yes, I know they are talking to a OT and OL, but neither of them "should" really put a dent in their FA money left.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2004, 11:20 AM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default RE:Cowboys - who do they get now

I was listening to John Clayton on ESPN radio this AM with Mike & Mike. They were talking about the Eagles needing a veteran 3rd Corner. Clayton said the only FA corner with starting experience left is . . . Mario Edwards. Ouch. I think we are faced with re-signing Edwards and hoping that an improved pass rush will make him better. Which, to a degree, I think it will.

We are in the position now of (i) adding depth through lower priced backups; (ii) waiting for the June 1st cuts; or (iii) restructuring or extending existing contracts to gain more cap flexibility next year.

If you look around the league, a lot of teams have cap room, and nobody is biting. I think this has turned out to be a fairly weak FA class.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:27 AM   #3
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default RE: Cowboys - who do they get now

Quote:
We are in the position now of (i) adding depth through lower priced backups; (ii) waiting for the June 1st cuts; or (iii) restructuring or extending existing contracts to gain more cap flexibility next year.
exactly, why spend it just cause you got it. I think Dallas will add some needed depth(LB, S, OL, DL, RB) late in the FA game. and after the draft they will have better ideal of what they need.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:00 PM   #4
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anyone out there that could help the Cowboys significantly right now? or are they just looking to add depth to the OL, RB and maybe sign Mario Edwards inexpensively?

Who do you think might be available after June 1, that the Cowboys might be interested in?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 03-23-2004, 12:28 PM   #5
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm listening to Rick Gosslin and he says that there won't be as many good players cut on 6/1 as there have been in previous seasons. His reasoning is that teams are realizing that if you want to rebuild you have to take the cap hits and get it over with, as opposed to spreading it out. Players like Todd Stussie and Ruben Brown, who in past years would have been 6/1 cuts, have already hit the market.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:40 PM   #6
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i think parcells is holding out for ty law. thats got to be the only reason the boys are whording all this cap space.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:29 PM   #7
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I read in ESPN magazine that GM's around the league are waiting for Corey Dillon to be cut. 1) it sounds like we might be able to get him cheap like a fifth rounder or two just wait. Amos is also available from the steelers.

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:53 PM   #8
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
I read in ESPN magazine that GM's around the league are waiting for Corey Dillon to be cut. 1) it sounds like we might be able to get him cheap like a fifth rounder or two just wait. Amos is also available from the steelers.
I would like to give Amos a shot around here, especially if we can get him cheap, and we still get a RB in the first or second round.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:10 PM   #9
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Quote:
I would like to give Amos a shot around here, especially if we can get him cheap, and we still get a RB in the first or second round.
Amos is the same as TBrick last year. Both giving a chance to show if they are belong, and they both sux. I rather draft a rookie RB than taking another TBrick/Amos combo.

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:53 PM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Well I think the Cowboys don't plan on ditching T-Ham anyway. I think we are going to see a running back by committe but I was thinking with a rookie running back and T-Ham. Rhodes from the Colts is still out there. We are going to get a running back with potential in the draft just when do we draft one? 1st or 2nd?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 08:09 AM   #11
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: DNNF
Quote:
Quote:
Amos is the same as TBrick last year. Both giving a chance to show if they are belong, and they both sux. I rather draft a rookie RB than taking another TBrick/Amos combo.
I still want to draft the rookie RB in the first or second round, I just want more options that THam if the rookie is fumble prone his first year.

Old 03-24-2004, 11:58 PM   #12
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Buckhalter from the Eagles is another option. Im not saying that a rookie is a not a good thing at the Running back position but it would be nice to have a veteran as well. Buckhalter is a restricted free agent and would only cost a fourth round pick.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:17 AM   #13
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

So your saying that you would spend a 2 of our 1st 4 picks on running backs when we also need a corner, an offensive tackle and defensive tackle?
Old 03-25-2004, 11:51 AM   #14
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
So your saying that you would spend a 2 of our 1st 4 picks on running backs when we also need a corner, an offensive tackle and defensive tackle?
I would spend either the first or second. The other first or second going to the best OT in the draft. I would sign Edwards cheap, and possibly even Myers again as a backup to Glover. I think they would have had an interest in Sapp if they were really looking to sign a DT (not that they would have paid what he received). I wouldn't give the 4th for Buckhalter, but that is me.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:15 PM   #15
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
I would spend either the first or second. The other first or second going to the best OT in the draft. I would sign Edwards cheap, and possibly even Myers again as a backup to Glover. I think they would have had an interest in Sapp if they were really looking to sign a DT (not that they would have paid what he received). I wouldn't give the 4th for Buckhalter, but that is me.
As ive said before we had no interest in Sapp because he plays the same position as glover...you cant have 2 pass rushing DTs and expect to stop the run...you have to have a run stuffer. Both of these guys play the 3 technique
Old 03-25-2004, 02:01 PM   #16
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
As ive said before we had no interest in Sapp because he plays the same position as glover...you cant have 2 pass rushing DTs and expect to stop the run...you have to have a run stuffer. Both of these guys play the 3 technique
I think Sapp did that pretty well. He definately has the size. Since he is unavailable now, who else would Dallas look to. Adams, Washington are not free. Did Gilbert Brown retire? Or do you think it will have to come from the draft? Who would Dallas be looking at, in terms of a DT to compete?

Old 03-25-2004, 02:11 PM   #17
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

Here is some interesting news...

Cowboys Still Talking With OT

Still Quiet On The Line

Preseason Schedule Released; Guard Close to Deal

Dallas, Keyshawn Has Arrived

Cowboys Officially Acquire Keyshawn Johnson

Galloway Excited Over New Start

More Stories...

Cowboys Still Talking With OT

Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
March 24, 2004, 5:55 p.m. (CST)

IVING, Texas - One day after the Cowboys added depth on the offensive line by signing a guard, they continued negotiations with an offensive tackle.

The Cowboys had ongoing talks Wednesday with the agent for Greg Randall, a four-year veteran who could possibly fill the void at right tackle. Randall worked out for the Cowboys Monday, along with guard DeMingo Graham, who signed a one-year deal with the team Tuesday.

But while Graham, a five-year vet who missed all of last season after suffering a foot injury during training camp, is considered more of a backup, Randall could possibly take over as the starter, replacing Ryan Young.

If signed, Randall would likely compete for the starting job on the right side, opposite Pro Bowl left tackle Flozell Adams. The Cowboys released Young after an ailing right knee forced him to miss eight games last season. Young, after just five seasons in the NFL, is expected to retire.

So at this time that leaves the Cowboys with just potential starters Kurt Vollers (eight starts in 2003) and second-year pro Torrin Tucker, who spent his rookie year learning the tackle position after playing guard at Southern Mississippi.

Randall would not only add some needed experience to the position, but another big body. At 6-5, 322, Randall started 16 games for Houston last season and has 39 career starts in his four years in the league.

Before joining the Texans, Randall played three seasons in New England, mostly as a backup, although he did start all 16 games and three more in the playoffs, including the Super Bowl, for the Patriots in the 2001 season.

Randall, a native of Galveston, Texas, has also received interest from the Dolphins and Giants.
Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 02:50 PM   #18
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nicky31
Here is some interesting news...
Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
March 24, 2004, 5:55 p.m. (CST)

IVING, Texas - One day after the Cowboys added depth on the offensive line by signing a guard, they continued negotiations with an offensive tackle.

The Cowboys had ongoing talks Wednesday with the agent for Greg Randall, a four-year veteran who could possibly fill the void at right tackle. Randall worked out for the Cowboys Monday, along with guard DeMingo Graham, who signed a one-year deal with the team Tuesday.

But while Graham, a five-year vet who missed all of last season after suffering a foot injury during training camp, is considered more of a backup, Randall could possibly take over as the starter, replacing Ryan Young.

If signed, Randall would likely compete for the starting job on the right side, opposite Pro Bowl left tackle Flozell Adams. The Cowboys released Young after an ailing right knee forced him to miss eight games last season. Young, after just five seasons in the NFL, is expected to retire.

So at this time that leaves the Cowboys with just potential starters Kurt Vollers (eight starts in 2003) and second-year pro Torrin Tucker, who spent his rookie year learning the tackle position after playing guard at Southern Mississippi.

Randall would not only add some needed experience to the position, but another big body. At 6-5, 322, Randall started 16 games for Houston last season and has 39 career starts in his four years in the league.

Before joining the Texans, Randall played three seasons in New England, mostly as a backup, although he did start all 16 games and three more in the playoffs, including the Super Bowl, for the Patriots in the 2001 season.

Randall, a native of Galveston, Texas, has also received interest from the Dolphins and Giants.
Yes, but who would be the defensive tackle that is avaiable, that Dallas would be interested in?

Old 03-25-2004, 05:56 PM   #19
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

I personally would go for Washington, but he might be too expensive for the Cowboy's...

Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 07:21 PM   #20
Jamisonite
Golden Member

washington has already signed with oakland
Old 03-26-2004, 12:39 AM   #21
jayC
Diamond Member

Listen Buckhalter had a touchown every 25.5 carries he averaged 4.4 yards per carry last year. Besides youd put a lot of trust in a rookie running back to win it all.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:19 AM   #22
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Listen Buckhalter had a touchown every 25.5 carries he averaged 4.4 yards per carry last year. Besides youd put a lot of trust in a rookie running back to win it all.
I don't know if Buckhalter is the guy (or not), but probably would pass because he is a RFA and it would cost the 4th. I am in total agreement with you that the Cowboys should bring in a vetren RB though, just in case the rookie they draft is fumble prone (which most rookies are because the NFL strips every play, and is much stronger).
He has pretty good stats though..........

Old 03-26-2004, 03:52 PM   #23
Jamisonite
Golden Member

The thing is...if you try and sign Buckhalter....philly can match the offer...and they will
Old 03-26-2004, 05:34 PM   #24
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Exactly. If Philly doesn't match then you probably overpaid for him in addition to giving up the pick.