Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 03-02-2002, 01:39 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, missed this...

LOS ANGELES (TICKER) -- The talk before the game was the bad blood between Shaquille O'Neal and Brad Miller. Afterward, it was about the fight between Kobe Bryant and Reggie Miller.

O'Neal had 33 points and 12 rebounds in his rematch with Miller, leading the Los Angeles Lakers to a 96-84 victory over the scrappy Indiana Pacers.

While a member of the Chicago Bulls, Brad Miller flagrantly fouled O'Neal on January 12. O'Neal tried to tomahawk Miller with an overhand right but missed. However, he was suspended three games and Miller -- traded to Indiana last week -- received a one-game ban.

O'Neal missed the last meeting -- a 97-89 defeat -- on February 6 while resting his injured foot. In that game, Miller had 12 points and nine rebounds. He entered Friday night's game coming off a 25-point performance Thursday at Phoenix but managed nine points on 3-of-10 shooting and grabbed 10 rebounds.

Bryant scored 25 points and threw a punch at Reggie Miller at the end of Los Angeles' fifth victory in its last six games. Their skirmish moved to the scorers' table where members from both teams joined the fray.

Jermaine O'Neal led Indiana with 18 points and 11 rebounds.

Old 03-02-2002, 01:45 AM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I was just about to post that. That's some fast typing there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 02:02 AM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a little snippet from the espn recap. Did anyone see this? I've been trying to find highlights with no such luck. Who threw the first punch? Either way, both are looking at suspensions. Plus, since it took place after the game, I guess other players leaving the bench rule doesn't count?

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- This time, it was Kobe Bryant and Reggie Miller swinging at each other.

Shaquille O'Neal had 33 points and 12 rebounds to lead Los Angeles to a 96-84 victory over Indiana on Friday night, but the Lakers' Bryant and Pacers' Miller fought briefly on the court immediately after the game.

The melee spilled over onto the scorers' bench, with O'Neal apparently trying to play peacemaker.

Miller appeared to be walking toward Bryant after the game when the two suddenly started throwing punches.

Old 03-02-2002, 02:13 AM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Hmm, after reading some threads on the Lakers espn board, I got this much:

Kobe, like Shaq, doesn't know how to throw a punch.

Kobe threw the first punch after Miller was trash-talking Kobe. No punches landed, but Miller came away with one side of his face red.

Laker fans seem to be quite UPSET over Kobe's stupidity of throwing a punch after the game was over and that he should have known better to fall prey to Miller's talking.

There seems to be a difference on how many games Kobe will be charged with. I've heard everything from 1-3 days, to 4-5.

And someone mentioned about Horry pulling somebody and that he too could face a one game suspension....

My take...Kobe is looking at a 2 or 3 game suspension, minimum. He wasn't flagrantly fouled like Shaq, it took place after the game and he threw the first punch from what literally was trash-talk from Miller.

Of course, Stern will probably go easy on Kobe.

Miller probably lands a couple of days since he's already been suspended once for fighting this season.
Old 03-02-2002, 02:51 AM   #5
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Man, this makes me PRAY for Indiana to come out of the East if LA comes out of the West! What a finals matchup! The way the East is, you never know, if Indiana gets it together quickly, anything could happen.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 03:52 AM   #6
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Kobe deserves 5 games for that cry-baby crap. The game was over, his team won, there's no place for that BS.
Old 03-02-2002, 12:24 PM   #7
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

Kobe is good, but it looks like the Lakers stars are a bunch of crybabies. Shaq, now kobe. Thye need to get a life. I think there is trouble in LA. Just my .02.
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 08:11 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Kobe is an incredible athlete, he is well versed in five foreign languages, has talents unknown and is the biggest crybaby punk in the nba. It's a shame.

Doc

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 03:46 PM   #9
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Miller and Bryant each getting two-game suspensions and fines of $10,000 (Miller) and $12,500 (Bryant).
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 04:46 PM   #10
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

There goes the league practicing preferential treatment once again.

Reggie Miller getting suspended the same number of games for that altercation is mind boggling.........
Old 03-03-2002, 06:40 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

doesn't he at least deserve three games?..shaq got three for throwing a punch and missing...
hmmm
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 01:51 AM   #12
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

I wonder what Miller said to him?
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 10:06 AM   #13
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

From what Vecey said on TV yesterday (so take it for what it's worth) was they were talking trash to each other the entire game. Apparently Bryant instigated the entire thing. Toward the end of the game, Bryant ended the game by shooting a deep three pointer and turned to Miller and said, "Now how is that?" Miller responded by saying something like, "shut the fuck up p%^&%" Then Kobe swung at him.

My thing is, ok, you won the game, you had a good game, you actually showed Reggie up, so why not just walk off the court??!! He's trying to mimic Jordan to the TEE! (the speech, the walk, the type of game, the fights with Reggie) If this dude cuts his head bald, I'll never watch him again! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2002, 01:45 PM   #14
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

he already had the bald head, and it didn't work... he has sort of a sam cassell head...