Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-28-2004, 09:06 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hubie Brown comments: Pertinent to the Mavs?

Now I know this isn't technically a Mavs related article, but I thought some of Hubie Brown's comments in this ESPN article sound more than a little pertinent to our Mavs' current rotation problems, and that y'all might be interested in reading them...

"
Quote:
Afterward, grizzled Grizzlies coach Hubie Brown was sitting in his office when a "very knowledgeable NBA guy," as Brown described him, came in and told Brown, "Man, you guys have a deep team."

"Yeah," Brown retorted, "we have a deep team because we play our guys. Now let's talk about who didn't play on that (other) team tonight. They are better than our guys who are playing. If they were on our team, they would be playing."

This part and also:

"We believe -- and this is what we believe, though guys argue this -- but we believe there is no difference between the eighth, ninth and 10th players. Because we are young, we are committed to developing young talent. I would rather have 10 guys come in every night knowing they are going to be playing. Because the worst thing, the worst, and I have been around since 1973, is if they come and play 22 minutes tonight (and the) next game they come they don't even get in. Then the next time, garbage time, 2½ minutes. That is hard. That is hard on that player."

Brown wasn't specific about who the other team was, but only because he was referring to his own team's philosophy, one that has made the Grizzlies one of the success stories of the NBA this season after so many years of moribund mediocrity (which is being kind).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hughes_frank&id=1765840
I wonder what team Hubie have been referring to? I think I can think of a good example to fit the bill...

Old 03-28-2004, 09:16 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Hubie Brown comments: Pertinent to the Mavs?

Hubie is certainly showing that his "system" works pretty durn well. But he's never won a championship in the NBA so he's a loser right???
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:01 PM   #3
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default RE:Hubie Brown comments: Pertinent to the Mavs?

How is it pertinent to the mavs that we don't play bradley, fortson and williams consistent minutes. Bottom line you play your best players the most minutes. Early on in the season we didn't have a backup point guard and two guard but know we do. Nelson plays who gives him the results and thats the bottom line. Nelson has won the second most games in NBA history, Hubie Brown couldn't hold Nellie's jock.

Listen Nellie has his falls , he still turned around a much worse team then Memphis. Memphis had high lottery picks, Swift third overall, Gasol is a lottery pick. How many mavs are lottery picks a grand total of one. On the entire roster one. We need to get off the nellie can't coach defense. He had a defensive team with the Bucks in the early 80's. This man is an innovator and he gets no credit on this board.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:05 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

You might not think hubie is as good as nellie, that's ok. But he's done a great job in memphis. I'm sure that he would say.... "SCOREBOARD"...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:07 PM   #5
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayCListen Nellie has his falls , he still turned around a much worse team then Memphis. Memphis had high lottery picks, Swift third overall, Gasol is a lottery pick. How many mavs are lottery picks a grand total of one. On the entire roster one.
Sorry to nit-pick, but we have several lottery picks on the roster. Dirk, Walker, Jamison, Bradley, and even Fortson and Tariq Abdul-Wahad (the artist formerly known as Olivier St. Jean) were lottery picks.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:25 PM   #6
harsh euro barge

harsh euro barge will become famous soon enoughharsh euro barge will become famous soon enough

I think he means what Dallas started with compared to Memphis...
harsh euro barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:40 PM   #7
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: harsh euro barge
I think he means what Dallas started with compared to Memphis...
Ah, okay. Although even then we did have some great lottery picks like Samaki Walker and Gary Trent!

Edit: I can definitely accept the point that Nellie did a great job in turning a very poor Mavericks team into Western-conference contender, but I would say that Hubie Brown (and West) are doing a similarly good job in Memphis.

On specific point that Evilmav brings up, I think the Brown is right about playing guys consistently. I think we'd get more steady play from our role players if they got regular minutes. The spotty play that guys like Bradley get now makes it hard for them to contribute. I think that's the point of this thread; it's not just a Hubie v. Nellie argument.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 11:12 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it's about time that Bradley is considered one of the Mavs 'better' players since the minutes are reserved for the 'better' players on the team.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:15 AM   #9
PubaNWO

PubaNWO is on a distinguished road

Grizz and Mavs are two very different teams and each team has to play a certain way.

Mavs aren't as deep or as young and atheletic as the Grizz so they have to play the ones who are more (rooks) and play the old, slow, vets less (including AW which i still don't agree with but worth trying some more).

If Nellie was coaching for the Grizz you think he'd play around still?? I think he'd play the guys with even minutes because he can....he just can't do it with the Mavs....
PubaNWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:27 AM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If Nellie was coaching for the Grizz you think he'd play around still??
I think we could have Shaq on this team and Nellie wouldn't play him for one reason or another.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:34 AM   #11
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Lol! Shaq will be out when he passes on a three point shot. Come to think of it. Shaq might just try a few here and there. That would be funny. Shaq on the Mavs and other teams doing the hack-a-shaq on Nellie.

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Quote:
If Nellie was coaching for the Grizz you think he'd play around still??
I think we could have Shaq on this team and Nellie wouldn't play him for one reason or another.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:05 AM   #12
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Hubie is certainly showing that his "system" works pretty durn well. But he's never won a championship in the NBA so he's a loser right???
One dissimilarity, one similarity.