Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-03-2004, 11:22 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UConn vs. Georgia Tech

My bracket is officially busted. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2004, 11:32 PM   #2
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:UConn vs. Georgia Tech

I had UCONN VS SOONERS

Wow.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:33 PM   #3
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: UConn vs. Georgia Tech

I really thought OK State had a shot to win it all. Not suprised by the last play though...Will Bynum can get to the hole against anybody.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:45 AM   #4
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

As I posted last night in a state of post-victory frenzy, I am in first place in my 80-person office pool, and have Georgia Tech to win it all.

I would really, really appreciate it if all you busted-bracketeers could root for GT on Monday night.

I'm afraid we're going to need it.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:16 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: sturm und drang
As I posted last night in a state of post-victory frenzy, I am in first place in my 80-person office pool, and have Georgia Tech to win it all.

I would really, really appreciate it if all you busted-bracketeers could root for GT on Monday night.

I'm afraid we're going to need it.
I'm not a huge fan of anything from Connecticut for the most part. So, you'll have me rooting for GT.
Murphy3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 02:25 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy thoughts your way S&D!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 08:30 PM   #7
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, guys. I'm trying to convince myself that Georgia Tech is the "team of destiny" -- not the best team, by all means, but the team that has caught some kind of strange bolt of lightning and is riding it. They've won every game by the skin of their teeth.

Clearly, I want to win the office pool quite badly. And it's not about the money - which, I will admit, is considerable. I was pretty laissez-faire about the whole thing until this guy I don't even know, an intern (!), came up to me and said, "Hey, I saw you're number one in the pool. How on earth did you do that? Are you picking based on which uniforms you like best, or which teams have the cutest players?"

So, yeah. I want to win really, really bad.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the thoughts. Go Tech!

Old 04-05-2004, 12:53 AM   #8
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

I prodicted this to be the final match up....i predicted all the final four but i had wake instead of ok st
Old 04-05-2004, 01:27 PM   #9
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i had 3 of the final 4 (i had kentucky instead of ga tech) but those 3 were the only ones i had right in the elite 8. i have uconn winning it all, but i don't have any money on it, so i'll root for ga tech, too. i'm a duke fan and was rooting for duke the whole way. now i'll have to root for the acc...
Old 04-05-2004, 03:28 PM   #10
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: sturm und drang
Thanks, guys. I'm trying to convince myself that Georgia Tech is the "team of destiny" -- not the best team, by all means, but the team that has caught some kind of strange bolt of lightning and is riding it. They've won every game by the skin of their teeth.

Clearly, I want to win the office pool quite badly. And it's not about the money - which, I will admit, is considerable. I was pretty laissez-faire about the whole thing until this guy I don't even know, an intern (!), came up to me and said, "Hey, I saw you're number one in the pool. How on earth did you do that? Are you picking based on which uniforms you like best, or which teams have the cutest players?"

So, yeah. I want to win really, really bad.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the thoughts. Go Tech!

It's on, man! There were some pretty decent brackets in my pool this time, including me and some other kid who picked all of the final four right. I have UConn picked and he has Georgia Tech. I never expected it to come down to one game… but if UConn wins tonight, I'll be $200 richer tomorrow. Hate to do it, but I'll be rooting against you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Good luck I guess.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 04:07 PM   #11
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

UCONN looks better on paper, but Ga. Tech has the intangible "it" that will somehow put them over the top.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 04:11 PM   #12
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

I had the final four right but I had OK State vs. Duke. Anyways, how friggin' sweet would it had been having an all-ACC GA Tech vs. Duke championship? I dont think the Yellow Jackets have a chance against UCONN, but some nights Tech just looks impossible to beat, like when they ended Dukes 44 game home winning streak, and last game, when they pulled off te upset against the Cowboys...
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 04:38 PM   #13
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
I had the final four right but I had OK State vs. Duke. Anyways, how friggin' sweet would it had been having an all-ACC GA Tech vs. Duke championship? I dont think the Yellow Jackets have a chance against UCONN, but some nights Tech just looks impossible to beat, like when they ended Dukes 44 game home winning streak, and last game, when they pulled off te upset against the Cowboys...
That's the intangible "it" I mentioned above.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:51 PM   #14
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Does UConn have a 7'2" curley haired Australian?

No they don't.

How could they possibly win?

I'm picking Tech in a blowout.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 05:08 PM   #15
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape

No they don't.

HAHA, but Tech doesnt have Okafor....

Old 04-05-2004, 05:11 PM   #16
kingrex
Platinum Member

Did you say 7'2" foreign white-guy? Watch-out the Mavs scouting department read this.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:45 PM   #17
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

its all about UConn baby~ ..after Okafor wins the national championship he'll be selected number one by the Dallas Mavericks where a dynasty will emerge and dominate the league for years. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 09:49 PM   #18
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Okafor and Gordon....Okafor and Gordon.

The Cinderella Gt's don't really have an answer for those two top 15 picks, do they ?

UConn has a lot of young bigs to put in as subs.

This could get ugly.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:39 PM   #19
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Okafor and Gordon combine for 24 points so far while Gtech has 26 total.

Damn.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:47 PM   #20
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Okafor is taking over the game.

Okafor and Gordon have 31 points between them.
GTech has 31 points....

UConn with a 19 point lead with over 16 minutes left...

This is going to get very ugly.

Any doubt that Okafor will go #1 ahead of Josh Smith ?

And Gordon will go in the top 10.

Bet on it.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:51 PM   #21
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Okafor with the big block !!

UConn leads 52-31.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:59 PM   #22
OutletPass
Diamond Member

It's really ugly now...

UConn has the swagger thing going. Even Boone is going off on them.

60-37 and Okafor/Gordon have 35.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:02 PM   #23
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Schencher seems to have disappeared, he's just slugging around like Dirk did earlier this season.

I can smell the cash, and it smells good
Old 04-05-2004, 11:08 PM   #24
OutletPass
Diamond Member

I'm just amazed at the insane pace of this game....

It's an end to end track meet....with some amazing athletes on the floor.

Anyone know how many blocks Okafor has ?
Old 04-05-2004, 11:15 PM   #25
OutletPass
Diamond Member

From a quick look, it looks like the last time that there was a 20+ points win was in 1992 with Duke over Michigan. Maybe that will happen again, maybe it won't.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:19 PM   #26
OutletPass
Diamond Member

71-55 now and Okafor has just gone insane.

Okafor and Gordon with 41 points.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:24 PM   #27
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Any GM that passes on Okafor needs his head examined. He's dominating on defense and on the boards, he still has a ton of upside offensively and to top it off, he has a great head on his shoulders.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:25 PM   #28
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Did OP call it or what....?

(From an old thread about the best college player)

"Sunday January 11, 2004 4:53 PM ....Emeka Okafor for me thanks....just turn to the UConn - Oklahoma game that's on right now and check it out...UConn is one very agressive, athletic college basketball team...and Okafor is their heart.

So far he has 21 points and 14 reb in the Finals.

Old 04-05-2004, 11:27 PM   #29
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Spectacular play by Okafor...that's 23 points now...

and oh, by the way, he's a Texas HS product, right Dirno200 ?

(Sock got me watching him 5 years ago !!!)
Old 04-05-2004, 11:31 PM   #30
mavsman55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
I'm just amazed at the insane pace of this game....

It's an end to end track meet....with some amazing athletes on the floor.

Anyone know how many blocks Okafor has ?
Offically, he has only 2. But he's done so much more that can't be recorded into stats.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:33 PM   #31
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Give props to GTech for not giving up and closing the margin....

Sorry for all the posts....but I've been a huge UConn fan this last year...and I'm loving this.

This is the single best individual player performance that I've seen in the finals in a while...

Okafor is amazing !!

If he's not the #1, that GM should be shot.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:36 PM   #32
mavsman55
Platinum Member

you guys are lucky i didn't join the D-M pool [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
youd have got your butts whooped
this is the most luck i've had in a while
Old 04-05-2004, 11:40 PM   #33
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Spectacular play by Okafor...that's 23 points now...

and oh, by the way, he's a Texas HS product, right Dirno200 ?

(Sock got me watching him 5 years ago !!!)
Too bad he got away before Rick Barnes could shut down the borders
Old 04-05-2004, 11:40 PM   #34
OutletPass
Diamond Member

The kid from Texas leads UConn to the title !!!!!

24 points, 14 reb, 2 bl and stifling D in a dominating performance !!!!

Now, how can we get the #1 pick from Chicago/Orlando ?

Wow !!!

The Texas kids need to stay in state (Oh, they are doing that now !!! Sorry)
Old 04-06-2004, 01:02 AM   #35
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape

No they don't.

so wrong[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2004, 09:36 AM   #36
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DUKE THERE! At least Georgia Tech and Duke would have been an exciting game!
Old 04-06-2004, 09:49 AM   #37
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Watch some 18-year old take Okafor's No.1 slot among the lottery pics, while he's downgraded in the draft for finishing his degree.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:53 AM   #38
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Watch some 18-year old take Okafor's No.1 slot among the lottery pics, while he's downgraded in the draft for finishing his degree.
There are 2 kids coming into the draft that are just as talented as Okafor, whether or not they have their degree or not. Howard is rumored to be better than Okafor...