Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-12-2004, 10:53 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stars finally win one.....

Great OT win!!!!!!

Stars just won on a great breakaway goal by Steve Ott......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2004, 11:12 PM   #2
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Stars finally win one.....

What a game, this should give us confidence enought to pull off another one to tie the series up. I'll be at game 4, it should be a good one!
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:13 PM   #3
Jbrjo

Jbrjo will become famous soon enough

I am so jealous....I want to go....maybe I can find some tix on ebay but I doubt it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Jbrjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:26 PM   #4
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

They said on the radio there are still some left, good luck!
Old 04-12-2004, 11:28 PM   #5
Jbrjo

HAHA I dont really have any money...I was just trying to sound pitiful so someone would offer me a ticket [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2004, 11:37 PM   #6
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

What lengths would we go to for Stars tix - game 4.....???

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2004, 11:59 PM   #7
Jbrjo

DALLAS (AP) -- Steve Ott turned a steal at center ice into a breakaway goal 2:11 into overtime, sending the Dallas Stars past the Colorado Avalanche 4-3 Monday night and getting them back into this first-round playoff series.

Thoroughly outplayed through two games and two periods, the Stars began their recovery when Philippe Boucher sent a long, wide shot past Colorado goaltender David Aebischer with 4:27 left in regulation.
The winning play began when Ott blocked a neutral-zone pass from Avalanche defenseman Adam Foote. The second-year center then took off with the puck as soon as he saw it heading toward the Colorado zone.
Foote couldn't catch up to Ott. Neither could Karlis Skrastins, who dived just as Ott sent the puck through a narrow gap between Aebischer and the post.

Boosted by a return to home ice, where they've lost only one of their last 20 games, Dallas closed the series to 2-1. Game 4 is Wednesday night in Dallas.Ott's winning goal was his first in four career playoff games. He had only two in 73 regular-season games, none since Feb. 4. Without it, the Stars could have been facing a 3-0 series deficit that has led to elimination for every team since 1975.

Aebischer, who made 28 saves, lost for the first time in his playoff career. How Patrick Roy's replacement responds to allowing the two late goals could be a key to the rest of this series.ntil Boucher's tying goal, Colorado was so dominant that series was looking like a tuneup round for another long run toward the Stanley Cup.Milan Hejduk and Riku Hahl had first-period goals, then Steve Konowalchuk scored on a power play midway through the second. Ahead 3-1, the Avalanche seemed headed to another easy victory.

Scott Young started the rally by banging a power-play goal off Colorado defenseman Ossi Vaananen, who'd fallen in the crease, with two seconds left in the second period.Rob Blake had a chance to restore Colorado's two-goal lead seven minutes into the third period, but Marty Turco gloved it. He faced only three shots in the period.Boucher's goal came from about the widest spot possible, in the small space between the boards and the outside of the right faceoff circle. With Young clogging the front of the net, the puck got past Aebischer's stick.

It was about the first time this series the Stars caught a good break.Dallas started the game strong, outshooting Colorado 12-6 in the first period. The Stars also went on three power plays, didn't have a penalties and won 11 of 15 faceoffs -- yet still came out trailing 2-1.The Avalanche have scored twice in the first period of all three games. That's a major letdown for a Dallas defense that gave up a league-low 38 first-period goals in the regular season. The Stars allowed two first-period goals in just five of 82 games.
Jason Arnott got Dallas started with a power-play goal at 8:01 of the first period.

Game notes
Forsberg upped his postseason scoring streak to nine straight games, matching a career best. ... Arnott's goal broke a seven-game playoff drought. ... Sergei Zubov of Dallas picked up the 100th assist of his career in the playoffs. ... Bob Boughner didn't have a point in 11 games for Colorado this season, but an assist in this game gave him three this series. ... Bill Guerin is scoreless for Dallas. Colorado is the only West team he hasn't scored against this season.

ESPN article

Billy Guerin has got to get it going for us to have a chance........(and Turco stepping it up would be great too)
Old 04-13-2004, 01:05 AM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Stars finally win one.....

I wish someone would tell Turco that the playoffs have started.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 02:10 AM   #9
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I was at the library, monitoring the boards when he did it. My group thought I was crazy. I am so happy they at least put up some kind of fight in this series. Here's me, switching to optimistic mode! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

btw, I am convinced the mohawk was the key.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:30 AM   #10
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

If we lose tomorrow I'd consider us out, there's no way we can beat the Avs twice on the road. All Turco has to do is play a little better, but you have to realize, a lot of the goals by Colorado have been off of deflections and weird little angles....
Old 04-14-2004, 10:32 PM   #11
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

heartbreaker today. Dammit.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:48 PM   #12
Jbrjo

Just sick......how many shots did they have? They really shoulda won....just sick.....like MFFever said...a heartbreaker [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2004, 02:01 AM   #13
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Guerin had 11 shots by himself. Just... ugh. The pain.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:58 AM   #14
Jbrjo

DALLAS (AP) -- In a lineup boasting proven playoff performers, the key forward for the Colorado Avalanche this postseason could be Marek Svatos.

A rookie who played just four regular-season games, Svatos scored 5:18 into double overtime, giving Colorado a 3-2 victory over the Dallas Stars on Wednesday night and sending the Avalanche home with a 3-1 lead in their first-round series.Svatos has contributed in every game Colorado won. He had assists in the first two games, then didn't have a point in Game 3, the only one the Avs lost.
His overtime goal kept the Avalanche from dropping consecutive games in which they led by two goals. It also bailed out the offense on a night when it was outshot 43-21 and gave goaltender David Aebischer a much-deserved victory."I was just trying to get a shot on net, and it went in," Svatos said. "It's the greatest feeling in my hockey career."
A Slovakian drafted in the 10th round in 2001, Svatos made the team in training camp but injured a shoulder in the second game of the season. He didn't return until the final two games yet showed his scoring touch with two goals in those four games, including a game-winner.

"After all he went through in the regular season, we couldn't wait to give this guy an opportunity," Avs coach Tony Granato said.Now Colorado heads back to Denver with the chance to end the series in Game 5 on Saturday. The Avalanche won the first two games there by scores of 3-1 and 5-2.Dallas has two days to figure out why so many scoring chances produced only two goals -- one on a 5-on-3 and another that changed directions off a defenseman's skate."We worked very hard and had chances, but you have to play with passion, get to the net and cash in on opportunities," coach Dave Tippett said.

The Stars lost for only the second time in 21 home games. Not even the support of their fans could pull them through while they outshot Colorado 14-3 in the third period and 12-3 in the first overtime."I feel like we deserved a better fate," Dallas captain Mike Modano said. "We played a solid game. We had so many scoring opportunities that we didn't take advantage of."

Aebischer deserves credit, too. He made 27 of his 41 saves after the second period, looking more like the guy he replaced, Patrick Roy, than a playoff novice coming off his first loss, a game in which he let a two-goal lead turn into an overtime loss."He showed poise and confidence," Granato said. "They got a good bounce on the second goal, but it didn't rattle him. His body language was that nothing is getting past me. We were confident he'd stop anything."Milan Hejduk scored Colorado's first goal on a power play, and Joe Sakic followed soon after with a short-handed goal. Dallas answered quickly with Sergei Zubov scoring during a 5-on-3 advantage, then Pierre Turgeon tied it with 8:46 left in regulation on a shot that went off Colorado's Bob Boughner.

The Stars came out firing against Aebischer in the first overtime, getting credit for five shots in the first five minutes. There were more narrow misses, including several by Bill Guerin, who took 11 shots after having just seven in the first three games combined.
Colorado had more jump to start the second overtime. On the winning play, Svatos skated the puck into the Dallas zone, saw Hejduk take out Zubov and spun around Dallas' Chris Therien. The youngster then shot it past Therien and Turco into the upper right corner of the net.

"It was a great move to get into the open area. He made a great shot," Turco said. "It's too bad I couldn't have made the save there."
Turco, an All-Star in each of his first two seasons as a starter, has been outplayed by Aebischer -- and he knows it. He said he needs to improve if the Stars are going to get back into this series."If I make the saves I should, we can be a lot better," he said. "I have to stop the puck with a little better efficiency."

Game notes
Colorado's Peter Forsberg ended a nine-game point streak. ... Dallas has allowed two first-period goals in all four games. The Stars did that just five times all season. ... Colorado lost a potential goal just 3:07 in when video replay couldn't clearly show whether the puck went in before Turco stopped it. ... Guerin got an assist on Zubov's goal. It was his first point against the Avs this season and his first playoff point in two seasons with Dallas. He missed the postseason last year because of a gruesome thigh injury.

ESPN