Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-20-2004, 12:01 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finley still missing in action for Mavs

Finley still missing in action for Mavs
Emotional leader continues to struggle with his game

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Before the 2003 All-Star Game, Mark Cuban had T-shirts printed up asking the simple question: Where's Fin? It was a fashion statement protesting Michael Finley's omission from the game.

Maybe the Mavericks should dig those shirts out of mothballs, because the question applies now more than ever.

After digesting the Game 1 loss to Sacramento, Finley on Monday was the first one to call himself out as a reason why the Mavericks cratered late. Finley got six shots in the final three quarters and scored two points, none in the second half.

"That first game was a terrible display for myself," Finley said.

As the emotional catalyst for the team, Finley is hardest on himself. But he wasn't the only one deserving of blame in the 116-105 loss Sunday. Steve Nash had a substandard shooting night. Rookies Marquis Daniels and Josh Howard fizzled in the second half of their playoff debuts.

"It's important for not only myself but a couple more guys to give Dirk [Nowitzki] some help," Finley said.

When the Mavericks take the court at Arco Arena tonight for Game 2, it won't be a must-win situation. But they have no desire to return to Dallas in a 2-0 hole, either.

The Mavericks won Game 2 against the Kings in 2002 and again in last year's postseason, each time after dropping the opener. But that was then. Now, there are no guarantees. And while adjustments will be made, the biggest change the Mavericks need is getting more out of Finley, who missed two games late in the season with sore ribs and has been fighting to regain his midseason form since.

"For our small lineup to be successful, Mike has to play at a very high level," Nelson said. "And if he doesn't, then my small lineup is mediocre at best."

And Nelson's prescription for helping Finley hasten his return to the player who averaged 21.2 points from Jan. 1 to March 13 is to let nature run its course.

"Sometimes, the more you talk about it, the worse it gets," Nelson said. "If I just ignore it, he's going to work his way out of it himself. We'll give him touches and set it up to where he's comfortable. Then he's got to feel that groove, and he hasn't had it yet."

Finley has struggled since March, averaging 16.2 points in his final 11 games. There were fears at the end of the season that his body was fatigued and that he would have trouble producing in the playoffs.

Those fears may be turning to reality. During the second half Sunday, Finley came down court and pulled a quick-triggered 3-pointer that was way off the mark.

It had the distinct look of a player who is pressing to get a shot and find a rhythm.

"I'm sure they feel if they get a better game from Finley and he shoots better, that's going to be the difference," Sacramento coach Rick Adelman said.

It may not be that easy, however. Finley stresses that he can't blame physical problems on his Game 1 struggles.

"I just missed shots I can make," he said. "That'll change."

REDUCED ROLE

After a respectable first quarter, Michael Finley saw his offensive opportunities reduced during the rest of Game 1.

Quarter Min. FG Pts.

First 12 3-7 7
Second 8 1-2 2
Third 12 0-3 0
Fourth 6 0-1 0
Total 38 4-12 9
Old 04-20-2004, 12:02 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Finley still missing in action for Mavs

Fin will be fine.