Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-20-2004, 03:17 PM   #41
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default RE:Terrible coaching job by Nelson

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Quote:
[i]Originally posted by: Murphy3ah yes, the greatness of one man not catching on to another man's sarcasm.
Thanks, Murph.
So are you still being sarcastic, or are you sincerely thanking Murph. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I don't even know anymore.

Why is this carap in italics!!!!!!!!!!!!
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2004, 04:20 PM   #42
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Nelson will never and has never been the problem... I'm so sick of people using him as a scapegoat. Maybe he's not the best gm, but his coaching is nothing short of good....
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:37 AM   #43
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Once again, the Dooby gripe shows its ugly face.

Coming out of a timeout at the end of the half or the game, needing a basket to tie or win, and the Mavs come up empty. Does Nellie actually draw up a play or is he playing pictionairy with the clipboard in the huddle?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 04-21-2004, 08:43 AM   #44
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Terrible coaching job by Nelson

Can't wait to hear Wednesday's with the Don...I'm sure Nellie has a good explanation for going away from his best player and the only decent shooter on the team.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:53 AM   #45
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Can't wait to hear Wednesday's with the Don...I'm sure Nellie has a good explanation for going away from his best player and the only decent shooter on the team.
It is the same reason he has used for 4 years-he liked the matchup.

Old 04-21-2004, 09:09 AM   #46
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
Nelson will never and has never been the problem... I'm so sick of people using him as a scapegoat. Maybe he's not the best gm, but his coaching is nothing short of good....
That's weird. I'd come closer to giving him credit as a GM than as a coach.

We are 180 degree opposites. IMO, Nelson is the nexus of everything that is wrong with this club. Wrong philosophy, wrong design, wrong mentality, wrong plan, wrong execution. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

He has traded together a team that has the promise of entertainment much more than the promise of excellence. And nobody, but nobody, should ever mention his name as a coach in the same sentence as NBA champion.

Nellie's gotta go. Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 09:12 AM   #47
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He liked the matchup of Fin trying to create against Peja better than Dirk on the perimeter against Webber? That better not be the explanation. Everyone in the building knew that that ball was going to Dirk...oh...ok, I get it...Nellie's a genius because he fooled everybody.

Old 04-21-2004, 09:13 AM   #48
Dooby
Diamond Member

The only people that Nellie fools anymore are Gerry Fraley and Randy Galloway.

Old 04-21-2004, 09:46 AM   #49
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I too question the last play that he "drew-up". In his defense, this is a shot that Finley has proven that he can make. How many countless last minute shots have been taken by Finley for these Mavs? The answer is enough to warrant such confidence from his coach.

Having said that, I too would have used Dirk instead. It's time for Dirk to be the one taking those shots in the end. Especially in this last game where he was the only one who was making anyshots. Poor call by Nellie.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 09:48 AM   #50
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
I too question the last play that he "drew-up". In his defense, this is a shot that Finley has proven that he can make. How many countless last minute shots have been taken by Finley for these Mavs? The answer is enough to warrant such confidence from his coach.
The last one I remember was against SA in Reunion Arena. There may have been a couple since then, but not many.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:51 AM   #51
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

If fin's going to take a shot in that situation, it has to be catch and shoot. Unfortunately, Nellie had his head up his ass. That's the only logical explanation for the final play call by Nellie. He obviously wasn't watching the game.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 09:54 AM   #52
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
The last one I remember was against SA in Reunion Arena. There may have been a couple since then, but not many.
I was at that game. Sat in some very fine corporate seats. Fin took that shot 10 feet in front of me. That shot always stands out in my mind, probably because I was there and not because it was the last time Fin made one of those shots. That was 4 years ago. It isn't Fin's job to take that shot anymore.

In fairness, the Mavs have made these shots since then on a couple of occasions, but it is a very rare event.

Old 04-21-2004, 10:03 AM   #53
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
I was at that game. Sat in some very fine corporate seats. Fin took that shot 10 feet in front of me. That shot always stands out in my mind, probably because I was there and not because it was the last time Fin made one of those shots. That was 4 years ago. It isn't Fin's job to take that shot anymore.

In fairness, the Mavs have made these shots since then on a couple of occasions, but it is a very rare event.
I was there too...in the nose bleeds [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]. Actually he made another one later that season against Orlando. I honestly don't rember Finley making a buzzer beater since then.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:11 AM   #54
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

My main point was that it is time for Nelson to elevate Dirk's responsibilty from just one of the "Big 3" to the guy taking the last shot.

I mean at least draw up a play where the ball goes through Dirk. Again, poor choice by Nellie.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:12 AM   #55
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
He liked the matchup of Fin trying to create against Peja better than Dirk on the perimeter against Webber? That better not be the explanation. Everyone in the building knew that that ball was going to Dirk...oh...ok, I get it...Nellie's a genius because he fooled everybody.

Heck even the announcer called it. Look at the matchups, if webber is guarding dirk, expect him to take him on the perimeter. Duh....

Who was that guy anyway, an ex-coach by chance!!!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:14 AM   #56
Dooby
Diamond Member

I am not talking about just Fin. I am talking about Nelson. His last second plays rarely work. I think NVE hit one, but usually they fail. Occasionally, we get a second-chance basket, but even those are rare.

Old 04-21-2004, 10:37 AM   #57
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Even the Calvin Booth miracle three years ago was a broken play.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:39 AM   #58
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

what astounds me is that it takes a full one-minute time-out for nelson to say "dirk, give the ball to fin"

3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 05:01 PM   #59
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

3 Dreadful Nellie Moves in the Playoffs:

1. Not including Travis Best on the playoff roster. I thought at the time this was probably a non-issue so long as Nash stayed healthy for the playoffs. But who'd have guessed that Steve would drift into the funk he has experienced over the last two games? I think Best could help us in this series as a true point to spell a struggling Nash, but alas, Nellie would rather have Delk, who hasn't seen any burn anyway. Crap, as bad as Fin is jacking up threes, we could just as easily have Delk out there doing it.

2. Refusing to play Bradley. As the points in the paint continued to mount last night, I could not believe that the giant stick-figure never left the bench. Let's not misunderstand, I am not delusional. Shawn is not the savior, but he sure as hell can alter the opponent's offensive game plan and keep gnats like Bibby and Christie out of the lane. To not play him in the name of "more offense" is idiocy. 2 or 3 swats by Shawn can turn into quick fast break opportunities and jump start the Maverick offense as effectively as a three-pointer by Dirk.

3. Calling Fin's number at the end of Game 2. I know it's already been discussed to death, but for God sakes, we'd have been blown out in both these games had it not been for Dirk. Why in hell would Nellie run a play for Fin because it worked in 1998 (or whenever) rather than go to the guy who has carried the team through every minute of its 96 minute 2004 playoff life? Unbelieveable. And if the thought was "let's jump start Fin by giving him the game winning shot", maybe that's rational thinking in the regular season, but not in Game 2 on the road in a playoff series.

I'm done venting, I feel much better now, and I'm ready to win Game 3, whether Nellie is or not!
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote